MRC power supplies

  • reduck@xxxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 3, 1999
      I'm sure I'm rehashing an old subject..but..
      I have a spare MRC dual power 2800 that I'd like to use on my Z lines.
      I understand that the Marklins' and MT's can only handle 8v. Can anyone recommend
      a modification to this power pack? Is it safe to use as-is, as long as the throttle is
      never pinned open?

      thanks,

      Ron A
      NJ
    • Jeffrey MacHan
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 3, 1999
        Hi Ron,

        The 2800 is basically a double 1400. I used MRC 1400's with no problem at
        all on the VEC. If you are afraid of cranking the throttle up too far, you
        can insert a screw or glue a pin in the housing to block the throttle knob.
        One the one occasion that I can remember where a young admirer juiced the
        throttle, the loco derailed at the next curve with no harm done.

        I found that the MTL modified MRC1300 was just a little too weak in the
        amperage department for my tastes. The power transistor finally gave up the
        ghost and MRC sent me a replacement Darlington power transitor which was the
        same power rating as the MRC1400. The throttle has been working great ever
        since (4 years +).

        Enjoy your 2400.

        Cheers,

        Jeffrey MacHan