Marklin F7 couplers

  • luckykid43
    Message 1 of 2 , May 3, 2010
      Hello,
      I'm relatively new to Z-scale. I have mostly Marklin, some MTL. My question is about "floppy" Marklin couplers on Marklin F7 A or B units; they seem to have too much vertical movement, even when correctly installed with the correct springs. Mine hang down enough that they sometimes catch on switches and when trains are run in reverse the car behind the F7 will regularly uncouple. Any help, will be appreciated.
      I'm glad to have joined this group. I was sent here by the "Do it yourself in Z-scale" site, which is really nice.
      Thanks, Luckykid
    • reynard wellman
      Message 2 of 2 , May 3, 2010
        Hello Luckykid,
        The Marklin standard coupler is usually very reliable.
        A combination of Marklin & MTL rolling stock using the
        "claw" style couple could be causing problems. You might
        try shimming the couplers up in the coupler box of the offending
        equipment with some thin brass shim stock that you can cutout
        and shape with fingernail scissors. Make it U-shaped so that it
        will go around the mounting screw.

        It's been a long time since I've used the Marklin couplers but
        there are others in our group who may be able to help you
        better than me -- such as David Karp; http://www.zscale.org/
        Or Glen and Sandy Stiska; stiska@...
        Or John Cubbin; http://www.ztrains.com/

        Coupler height is important and getting them on the dot
        for folks in the smaller scales, i.e. HO, N and Z is always
        an important issue for railroad operations.

        Welcome to Z scale! I am sure that others will chime in
        and help you as best they can over the next few days.

        regardZ,
        Reynard Wellman
        http://www.micronart.com