Athabaska Northern gets a visit from a UP U50 big blow in revenue service

  • Garth
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 26, 2010
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPV_QpnuzA4

      You can see it on Utube on the link above. This project has been sitting on my desk waiting for me and this weekend we started on it. While it is not yet finished it is operational.

      Power unit is the MTL GP chassis with two dummy trucks from a Dummy F7 and modified for this job. Still need to change the side frames but that will take a visit to a friend to get some milling done. The headlights have been bored out but no fibre optic in place yet. The tender has metal wheel sets installed replacing the original wheels from Hallmark. Yes this is powering another of the Hallmark Christmas Ornament series. The first one being the PA in the Liberty Train set. There is some penalty using the heavy ender but with metal wheelsets I think it is minimized suffieciently. I plan to add more weight to this beast as well but for now I have it running.

      Been thinking sound decoder in tender hummmm!!

      enjoy
      cheerz Garth
    • CJ Walsh
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 26, 2010
        Fantastic work, Garth! Did you put the GP chassis in the middle and the
        dummy trucks on the ends of your Veranda?

        Cheers,

        CJ Walsh

        On 4/26/2010 11:51 AM, Garth wrote:
        > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPV_QpnuzA4
        >
        > You can see it on Utube on the link above. This project has been sitting on my desk waiting for me and this weekend we started on it. While it is not yet finished it is operational.
        >
        > Power unit is the MTL GP chassis with two dummy trucks from a Dummy F7 and modified for this job. Still need to change the side frames but that will take a visit to a friend to get some milling done. The headlights have been bored out but no fibre optic in place yet. The tender has metal wheel sets installed replacing the original wheels from Hallmark. Yes this is powering another of the Hallmark Christmas Ornament series. The first one being the PA in the Liberty Train set. There is some penalty using the heavy ender but with metal wheelsets I think it is minimized suffieciently. I plan to add more weight to this beast as well but for now I have it running.
        >
        > Been thinking sound decoder in tender hummmm!!
        >
        > enjoy
        > cheerz Garth

      • Garth
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 26, 2010
          Yup that is what we did. The GP Chassis is easy to recover just snap a GP shell on it and it can go back too work.

          Thanks
          Cheerz Garth

          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, CJ Walsh <fredshark@...> wrote:

          > Fantastic work, Garth! Did you put the GP chassis in the middle and the
          > dummy trucks on the ends of your Veranda?
          >
          > Cheers,
          >
          > CJ Walsh
          >
          > On 4/26/2010 11:51 AM, Garth wrote:
          > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPV_QpnuzA4
          > >
          > > You can see it on Utube on the link above. This project has been sitting on my desk waiting for me and this weekend we started on it. While it is not yet finished it is operational.
          > >
          > > Power unit is the MTL GP chassis with two dummy trucks from a Dummy F7 and modified for this job. Still need to change the side frames but that will take a visit to a friend to get some milling done. The headlights have been bored out but no fibre optic in place yet. The tender has metal wheel sets installed replacing the original wheels from Hallmark. Yes this is powering another of the Hallmark Christmas Ornament series. The first one being the PA in the Liberty Train set. There is some penalty using the heavy ender but with metal wheelsets I think it is minimized suffieciently. I plan to add more weight to this beast as well but for now I have it running.
          > >
          > > Been thinking sound decoder in tender hummmm!!
          > >
          > > enjoy
          > > cheerz Garth

        • Garth
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 26, 2010
            Actually as several pointed out this is not a U50 but a 4500 GTEL UP Gas Turbine Electric.

            Still was fun.

            cheerz Garth

            > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPV_QpnuzA4
            >
            > You can see it on Utube on the link above. This project has been sitting on my desk waiting for me and this weekend we started on it. While it is not yet finished it is operational.
            >
            > Power unit is the MTL GP chassis with two dummy trucks from a Dummy F7 and modified for this job. Still need to change the side frames but that will take a visit to a friend to get some milling done. The headlights have been bored out but no fibre optic in place yet. The tender has metal wheel sets installed replacing the original wheels from Hallmark. Yes this is powering another of the Hallmark Christmas Ornament series. The first one being the PA in the Liberty Train set. There is some penalty using the heavy ender but with metal wheelsets I think it is minimized suffieciently. I plan to add more weight to this beast as well but for now I have it running.
            >
            > Been thinking sound decoder in tender hummmm!!
            >
            > enjoy
            > cheerz Garth

          • Larry Card
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 26, 2010
              Wow, that's a big long locomotive!
              V/R
              Larry P. Card
              Franklinton NC

              > Actually as several pointed out this is not a U50 but a 4500 GTEL UP Gas Turbine Electric.
              >
              > Still was fun.
              >
              > cheerz Garth
              >
              > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Garth" <garth.a.hamilton@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPV_QpnuzA4
              > >
              > > You can see it on Utube on the link above. This project has been sitting on my desk waiting for me and this weekend we started on it. While it is not yet finished it is operational.
              > >
              > > Power unit is the MTL GP chassis with two dummy trucks from a Dummy F7 and modified for this job. Still need to change the side frames but that will take a visit to a friend to get some milling done. The headlights have been bored out but no fibre optic in place yet. The tender has metal wheel sets installed replacing the original wheels from Hallmark. Yes this is powering another of the Hallmark Christmas Ornament series. The first one being the PA in the Liberty Train set. There is some penalty using the heavy ender but with metal wheelsets I think it is minimized suffieciently. I plan to add more weight to this beast as well but for now I have it running.
              > >
              > > Been thinking sound decoder in tender hummmm!!
              > >
              > > enjoy
              > > cheerz Garth

            • de Champeaux Dominique
              Message 6 of 7 , May 1, 2010
                Hey Garth, all my congratulations! But as s.o. said in another forum, "Big Blows" and U50s are two different things. U50 were diesel engines with 2 x 2500 hp prime movers.

                Dom

                Yup that is what we did. The GP Chassis is easy to recover just snap a GP shell on it and it can go back too work.

                Thanks
                Cheerz Garth

                --- In z_scale@yahoogroups .com, CJ Walsh <fredshark@. ..> wrote:

                > Fantastic work, Garth! Did you put the GP chassis in the middle and the
                > dummy trucks on the ends of your Veranda?
                >
                > Cheers,
                >
                > CJ Walsh
                >
                > On 4/26/2010 11:51 AM, Garth wrote:
                > > http://www.youtube com/watch? v=fPV_QpnuzA4
                > >
                > > You can see it on Utube on the link above. This project has been sitting on my desk waiting for me and this weekend we started on it. While it is not yet finished it is operational.
                > >
                > > Power unit is the MTL GP chassis with two dummy trucks from a Dummy F7 and modified for this job. Still need to change the side frames but that will take a visit to a friend to get some milling done. The headlights have been bored out but no fibre optic in place yet. The tender has metal wheel sets installed replacing the original wheels from Hallmark. Yes this is powering another of the Hallmark Christmas Ornament series. The first one being the PA in the Liberty Train set. There is some penalty using the heavy ender but with metal wheelsets I think it is minimized suffieciently. I plan to add more weight to this beast as well but for now I have it running.
                > >
                > > Been thinking sound decoder in tender hummmm!!
                > >
                > > enjoy
                > > cheerz Garth

              • Marshall
                Message 7 of 7 , May 1, 2010
                  Yup your right Dom and I acknowledged the correction earlier. It is a Veranda Gas Turbine 4500 hp.

                  cheerz Garth