Re: Train vs. Tornado

  • dr strangelove
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 18, 2010
      Wow I always wondered if it has happened. I came from the coalfields in tornado ally and knowing the trains were a mile long, it has had to have happened more than once.
      A kind of wives tale growing up was that tornadoes follow railroad tracks. I don't know if there is any proof to that or not.
      Now for those doing the South/Midwest, a scene where a tornado has gone through might be interesting. Torn down trees and power poles. Bits of aluminum foil partially painted and wrapped around tree trunks could be whats left of a trailer home. The aftermath and clean up could be a place to display your fire/rescue/emergency/police cars and trucks, lights blinking and everything. If it is really bad, you can throw the National Guard out there with their jeeps and 2 1/2 tons.
      Since I model the Midwest, this will be a kind of long term goal idea that I will work on.
    • de Champeaux Dominique
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 18, 2010
        > > I hope that no new volcanos pop up in Yellowstone. The Greenland
        > > volcano's ash is wreaking havoc over Europe this week.
        >
        > It has been good for the european train companies though and for
        > eurostar..

        ... Except for french railroad, which are once more on strike.... Only the third time since the beginning of the year.

        Dom
      • MOFWCABOOSE@AOL.COM
        Message 3 of 9 , May 1, 2010
          This message is a couple of weeks late because I have been out of town.

          There have been several known instances of tornadoes hitting moving trains. The most celebrated was in 1938 when the Great Northern's Empire Builder was struck by a tornado near Minot, ND. The engine and tender, because of their weight, remained on the tracks, but the Pullmans wound up all over the ground. While there were many injuries, only one man was killed, when he fell out of a window and the car fell over on him.

          A number of train/tornado encounters were averted because the engine crew saw it coming and simply stopped the train and yielded the right of way to the tornado.

          While locomotives were fairly proof against tornadoes, early wooden freight cars were not. The records contain numerous instances of workmen taking cover in wooden boxcars when they saw a tornado approaching, only to be killed when the tornado demolished the cars. Steel cars were stronger, but empty ones could still easily be flipped on their sides, much like highway trailers and containers.

          The idea that tornadoes followed a railroad is a new one on me, but probably has no more validity then the notion that tornadoes have an affinity for trailer and mobile home parks. They don't...but the proliferation of manufactured housing over the last few decades simply guarantees more hits, and since the damage is usually horrendous and loss of life comparatively high, naturally non-thinking people will draw the wrong conclusion.

          Tornado damage can be quite spectacular, even with a comparatively weak F0 or F1. Remember that debris will be scattered everywhere and on both sides of the tornado's path. Trees, if still standing, will usually be stripped of their branches. Roofs will be partly or fully torn off. Some buildings may be shoved partly or completely off their foundations but otherwise basically intact. In a strong (F2 or F3) tornado, buildings will be partly demolished. They are rarely strong enough internally to be lifted bodily into the air, like Dorothy's in The Wizard of Oz. Brick buildings are no more tornado proof then wooden ones and often collapse into a heap of bricks. In a really strong (F4 or F5) tornado, destruction is nearly total and only strongly reinforced steel or concrete structures will be left standing, but usually with broken windows.

          John C. La Rue, Jr.
          Bonita Springs, FL

          Message 4 of 9 , May 1, 2010
            > There have been several known instances of tornadoes hitting moving trains. The most celebrated was in 1938 when the Great Northern's Empire Builder was struck by a tornado near Minot, ND. The engine and tender, because of their weight, remained on the tracks, but the Pullmans wound up all over the ground. While there were many injuries, only one man was killed, when he fell out of a window and the car fell over on him.

            Hurricanes don't like trains either. One was hit on the Key West extension of the Florida East Coast railroad on Labor Day in 1935. The rising water put the fire out in the locomotive, and while the locomotive stayed on the tracks the rest of the train was thrown off. The track damage was so extensive that the rails were taken up and highway US-1 was built over the bridges (which withstood the hurricane just fine).
            V/R
            Larry P. Card
            Franklinton NC

          • de Champeaux Dominique
            Message 5 of 9 , May 6, 2010
              >Hurricanes don't like trains either. One was hit on the Key West >extension of the Florida East Coast railroad on Labor Day in 1935. The >rising water put the fire out in the locomotive, and while the locomotive >stayed on the tracks the rest of the train was thrown off. The track >damage was so extensive that the rails were taken up and highway US-1 was >built over the bridges (which withstood the hurricane just fine).
              >V/R
              >Larry P. Card
              >Franklinton NC

              One could add more recently the western part of Ferrocarril Chiapas Mayab in southern Mexico (roughly running from Medias Aguas to the Guatemala border), that was torn off in 2007...

              Dom