Re: [Z_Scale] #844 on tour

  • Rocco
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 13, 2010
      Bay City before noon today.

      Kingsville tomorrow at about 10 am. Plan to go and stop by Cotton's BBQ on the way back.

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 14, 2010
        That's awesome ! Check out UP's site for schedules:
        http://www.uprr.com/aboutup/excurs/steamtr.shtml

        I'd love to be along the Wyoming tracks in November, snow (ice) or not, for the 50th Anniversary fun !

        Jeff
        SF Bay Area Z

        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Rocco <tfisher10@...> wrote:

        > Bay City before noon today.
        >
        > Kingsville tomorrow at about 10 am. Plan to go and stop by Cotton's BBQ on the way back.
        >

        > ________________________________

      • Don Avila
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 14, 2010
          *Looking at the UP Info that was posted to this email, I see engine weights
          are posted like that of the Challenger. That puppy "weighed" over 536 tons.
          What type of scales were used? Obviously the bathroom scales ain't going to
          cut it.

          ...d

          *

          --
          ...don a, Northern Ohio, USA

        • Michael Piersdorff
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 14, 2010
            Take a look at http://www.tamtronsystems.com/index.html for one modern answer...replace the digitals with levers and springs, and provide a separate weighbridge for each wheelset.

            Michael

            Easily monitor multiple email accounts & access them with a click.
            Visit http://www.inbox.com/notifier and check it out!
          • Loren Snyder
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 14, 2010
              Two really big guys with strong arms and a drug store scales?

              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 14, 2010
                Hi Don,
                I used to work for a company that built very large
                offshore drilling equipment, platforms, drill-string-tensioners
                and nuclear power plant water cooling valves, etc.
                Needless to say, we knew exactly what everything weighed
                before it left the factory without using any weigh station scales.
                All these metals and fluids have dimensions and weight data that can be
                calculated using good reference books like "Engineering Handbook" or
                even
                more specifically, "Machinery's Handbook". Also key to handling all this
                heavy stuff is knowing its "center-of-gravity", which can be calculated.

                Not as much fun as driving a semi-rig onto the highway scales
                or hitting those great air-horns, but the job paid well.

                The Challenger is one of the greatest landmarks of the Steam Era.
                Would that we could all get posted as a fireman on one of those!

                Have fun!
                Reynard