Re: F. Luvium Paddle Shop Now Available

  • Don
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 13, 2010
      This is one fun kit. I set it up as a diorama with a small pond in the front and an outhouse in the back. Michael includes a LOT of paddles. I would suggest you remove the paddles before coating with any paint and/or clear material. The reason is the paint will cause the paddles to stick to the surrounding wood and make them difficult to remove.

      Like every other kit Michael makes, this has a "TON" of detail.

      ...don

      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "mthduggan" <mthduggan@...> wrote:

      > Okay. Yes it has taken me a year from cutting Don Avila's version of the
      > S--t Creek Paddle Shop to actually having the directions written, the
      > parts all cut, and the packaging set.
    • John Duino
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 13, 2010
        I can't get the coupon code to work. I cut-n-paste, typed it, lowercase...ALL zero's (no OH's)...all say invalid coupon.

        To second Don's comments, these kits are INCREDIBLE with a TON of detail and VERY comprehensive (almost intimidating) instructions. An great bargain and a great product! Kudos!

        John

        <snip>
        The kit will sell for $34.99 but if you order before May Day (5/1/2010
        or for you Europeans 1/5/2010) and use the code YAHOO042010 -those are
        zeros - you will get $4.99 off the regular price on each F. Luvium kit
        that you buy.
        <snip>
      • Michael Duggan
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 13, 2010
          John,

          Apologies, and apologies to all. I'd like ot blame the computer but as usual GIGO rules. I typed in "0410" when I meant "042010". All the codes are fixed and should now work.

          Again, my deepest apologies. SNUFU!

          Cheers,

          Michael Duggan
          Jack of All Trades, Master of Some
          http://www.pawofabear.com

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 13, 2010
            Oh course, the "Oh's" in Yahoo are "Oh's"...dang I thought I was making the process simple. Instead I was being simple.

            YAHOO042010 - Wye-Ay-Aitch-Oh-Oh-Zero-four-two-zero-one-zero -

            ____________ _________ _________ __

            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 13, 2010
              Hey Michael, I had made a bunch of paddles to throw around my dock area a couple weeks ago.
              found that if you raster them instead of vector cut, you can spray paint the sheet with a base color, then go back and hand paint individual colors on each paddle easily, and there will be lots more space around each paddle... or other small detail you raster, so they cut out real easy.

              -Robert
            • Michael Duggan
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 13, 2010
                Robert,

                That's a good idea. You can also cut with the beam slightly out of focus. This is a great technique when cutting mortar lines in the larger scales like N and HO.

                For the paddles in F. Luvium, I really stain them more than paint them. In fact my favorite coloring technique is to use Prismacolor markers. You can build up color and get two-tone paddles easily with these markers.

                Cheers,

                Michael Duggan
                Jack of All Trades, Master of Some
                http://www.pawofabear.com

                ________________________________
                Hey Michael, I had made a bunch of paddles to throw around my dock area a couple weeks ago.
                found that if you raster them instead of vector cut, you can spray paint the sheet with a base color, then go back and hand paint individual colors on each paddle easily, and there will be lots more space around each paddle... or other small detail you raster, so they cut out real easy.

                -Robert

              • michaelpiersdorff
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 13, 2010
                  The last time this digital stuff was simple was when the Ohs were O and zero was O with a diagonal line through it, and it was all done on a dot matrix printer.

                  --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Michael Duggan <mthduggan@...> wrote:

                  > Oh course, the "Oh's" in Yahoo are "Oh's"...dang I thought I was making the process simple. Instead I was being simple.
                  >
                  > YAHOO042010 - Wye-Ay-Aitch-Oh-Oh-Zero-four-two-zero-one-zero -
                  >
                  > Cheers
                  >
                  > Michael Duggan
                  > Jack of All Trades, Master of Some
                  > http://www.pawofabear.com
                  >

                  > ________________________________

                • John Duino
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 13, 2010
                    Until the green-striped paper didn't lift properly, causing the tractor-feed to rip the holes through on one side, forcing the paper to skew, thence bunching up behind the head and bending the pins on the printhead, requiring a technician to be dispatched with a $500 replacement head, and in meantime you keep checking your box for the simple output you expected to run two days ago....

                    Ah, the simple days...

                    The last time this digital stuff was simple was when the Ohs were O and zero was O with a diagonal line through it, and it was all done on a dot matrix printer.
                  • Lindley Ruddick
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 13, 2010
                      Paper and pencil works pretty well. You can then place it in an envelope with a USPS stamp and HOPE they deliver in a week or two.
                      I guess life was NEVER simple! The older I get, the grouchier I get! LOL!!!
                      I HATE CHANGE!
                      Lindley

                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 13, 2010
                        ...and this from the man that just put "LOL" in his e-mail...

                        And so not to remain completely off topic....

                        STILL LOVE THE NEW KIT! WOOHOO!