F. Luvium Paddle Shop Now Available

  • mthduggan
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 13, 2010
      Okay. Yes it has taken me a year from cutting Don Avila's version of the
      S--t Creek Paddle Shop to actually having the directions written, the
      parts all cut, and the packaging set. If I were to make excuses, which
      I'd never do, I'd say two words: migraines and children. But let that
      pass.

      S--t Creek Paddle Shop or F. Luvium Paddle Shop, if like me, you prefer
      the latinate to the Anglo-Saxon, is ready to ship. Photos of the kit
      are available here F. Luvium on Paw of a Bear Website
      <http://www.pawofabear.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=26003>

      The kit includes the following features:

      * two buildings - the main store and a rear storage shed
      * detailed Lazerboard windows, doors, and frames
      * 1/64" birch plywood roof (scribed to ease shingle application)
      * 1/64" birch plywood battens to make scale board and batten walls
      * stairs and building jigs
      * 1/32" scribed basswood walls
      * a generous helping of laser cut three-tab shingles
      * a generous helping of laser cut tar-paper roofing
      * metal and directions to make standing seam roofing
      * laser cut assortment of paddles for all sizes of canoeist
      * exceptionally easy slot construction
      * 1/8" Masonite base/building jigs
      * two laser cut benches
      * styrene tubing and directions to make a stovepipe
      * optional door knobs
      * detailed directions
      * weathering tips and building techniques

      The kit will sell for $34.99 but if you order before May Day (5/1/2010
      or for you Europeans 1/5/2010) and use the code YAHOO042010 -those are
      zeros - you will get $4.99 off the regular price on each F. Luvium kit
      that you buy.

      Cheers,

      Michael Duggan
      www.pawofabear.com

    • Don
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 13, 2010
        This is one fun kit. I set it up as a diorama with a small pond in the front and an outhouse in the back. Michael includes a LOT of paddles. I would suggest you remove the paddles before coating with any paint and/or clear material. The reason is the paint will cause the paddles to stick to the surrounding wood and make them difficult to remove.

        Like every other kit Michael makes, this has a "TON" of detail.

        ...don

        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "mthduggan" <mthduggan@...> wrote:

        > Okay. Yes it has taken me a year from cutting Don Avila's version of the
        > S--t Creek Paddle Shop to actually having the directions written, the
        > parts all cut, and the packaging set.
      • John Duino
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 13, 2010
          I can't get the coupon code to work. I cut-n-paste, typed it, lowercase...ALL zero's (no OH's)...all say invalid coupon.

          To second Don's comments, these kits are INCREDIBLE with a TON of detail and VERY comprehensive (almost intimidating) instructions. An great bargain and a great product! Kudos!

          John

          <snip>
          The kit will sell for $34.99 but if you order before May Day (5/1/2010
          or for you Europeans 1/5/2010) and use the code YAHOO042010 -those are
          zeros - you will get $4.99 off the regular price on each F. Luvium kit
          that you buy.
          <snip>
        • Michael Duggan
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 13, 2010
            John,

            Apologies, and apologies to all. I'd like ot blame the computer but as usual GIGO rules. I typed in "0410" when I meant "042010". All the codes are fixed and should now work.

            Again, my deepest apologies. SNUFU!

            Cheers,

            Michael Duggan
            Jack of All Trades, Master of Some
            http://www.pawofabear.com

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 13, 2010
              Oh course, the "Oh's" in Yahoo are "Oh's"...dang I thought I was making the process simple. Instead I was being simple.

              YAHOO042010 - Wye-Ay-Aitch-Oh-Oh-Zero-four-two-zero-one-zero -

              ____________ _________ _________ __

              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 13, 2010
                Hey Michael, I had made a bunch of paddles to throw around my dock area a couple weeks ago.
                found that if you raster them instead of vector cut, you can spray paint the sheet with a base color, then go back and hand paint individual colors on each paddle easily, and there will be lots more space around each paddle... or other small detail you raster, so they cut out real easy.

                -Robert
              • Michael Duggan
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 13, 2010
                  Robert,

                  That's a good idea. You can also cut with the beam slightly out of focus. This is a great technique when cutting mortar lines in the larger scales like N and HO.

                  For the paddles in F. Luvium, I really stain them more than paint them. In fact my favorite coloring technique is to use Prismacolor markers. You can build up color and get two-tone paddles easily with these markers.

                  Cheers,

                  Michael Duggan
                  Jack of All Trades, Master of Some
                  http://www.pawofabear.com

                  ________________________________
                  Hey Michael, I had made a bunch of paddles to throw around my dock area a couple weeks ago.
                  found that if you raster them instead of vector cut, you can spray paint the sheet with a base color, then go back and hand paint individual colors on each paddle easily, and there will be lots more space around each paddle... or other small detail you raster, so they cut out real easy.

                  -Robert

                • michaelpiersdorff
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 13, 2010
                    The last time this digital stuff was simple was when the Ohs were O and zero was O with a diagonal line through it, and it was all done on a dot matrix printer.

                    --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Michael Duggan <mthduggan@...> wrote:

                    > Oh course, the "Oh's" in Yahoo are "Oh's"...dang I thought I was making the process simple. Instead I was being simple.
                    >
                    > YAHOO042010 - Wye-Ay-Aitch-Oh-Oh-Zero-four-two-zero-one-zero -
                    >
                    > Cheers
                    >
                    > Michael Duggan
                    > Jack of All Trades, Master of Some
                    > http://www.pawofabear.com
                    >

                    > ________________________________

                  • John Duino
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 13, 2010
                      Until the green-striped paper didn't lift properly, causing the tractor-feed to rip the holes through on one side, forcing the paper to skew, thence bunching up behind the head and bending the pins on the printhead, requiring a technician to be dispatched with a $500 replacement head, and in meantime you keep checking your box for the simple output you expected to run two days ago....

                      Ah, the simple days...

                      The last time this digital stuff was simple was when the Ohs were O and zero was O with a diagonal line through it, and it was all done on a dot matrix printer.
                    • Lindley Ruddick
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 13, 2010
                        Paper and pencil works pretty well. You can then place it in an envelope with a USPS stamp and HOPE they deliver in a week or two.
                        I guess life was NEVER simple! The older I get, the grouchier I get! LOL!!!
                        I HATE CHANGE!
                        Lindley

                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 13, 2010
                          ...and this from the man that just put "LOL" in his e-mail...

                          And so not to remain completely off topic....

                          STILL LOVE THE NEW KIT! WOOHOO!