#844 on tour

  • Mister Dave
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 13, 2010
      U P #844 arrived Houston on Sunday, Apr.11,, Stayed all day Monday at Amtrak Station.
      Beautiful UP yellow consist. I took photos until battery died.
      It is leaving this morning ,,Tues ,Apr 13.
      Big crowds all day long,,very young to my ancient age.
      Cordially,
      Mister Dave
    • Rocco
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 13, 2010
        Bay City before noon today.

        Kingsville tomorrow at about 10 am. Plan to go and stop by Cotton's BBQ on the way back.

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 14, 2010
          That's awesome ! Check out UP's site for schedules:
          http://www.uprr.com/aboutup/excurs/steamtr.shtml

          I'd love to be along the Wyoming tracks in November, snow (ice) or not, for the 50th Anniversary fun !

          Jeff
          SF Bay Area Z

          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Rocco <tfisher10@...> wrote:

          > Bay City before noon today.
          >
          > Kingsville tomorrow at about 10 am. Plan to go and stop by Cotton's BBQ on the way back.
          >

          > ________________________________

        • Don Avila
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 14, 2010
            *Looking at the UP Info that was posted to this email, I see engine weights
            are posted like that of the Challenger. That puppy "weighed" over 536 tons.
            What type of scales were used? Obviously the bathroom scales ain't going to
            cut it.

            ...d

            *

            --
            ...don a, Northern Ohio, USA

          • Michael Piersdorff
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 14, 2010
              Take a look at http://www.tamtronsystems.com/index.html for one modern answer...replace the digitals with levers and springs, and provide a separate weighbridge for each wheelset.

              Michael

              Easily monitor multiple email accounts & access them with a click.
              Visit http://www.inbox.com/notifier and check it out!
            • Loren Snyder
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 14, 2010
                Two really big guys with strong arms and a drug store scales?

                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 14, 2010
                  Hi Don,
                  I used to work for a company that built very large
                  offshore drilling equipment, platforms, drill-string-tensioners
                  and nuclear power plant water cooling valves, etc.
                  Needless to say, we knew exactly what everything weighed
                  before it left the factory without using any weigh station scales.
                  All these metals and fluids have dimensions and weight data that can be
                  calculated using good reference books like "Engineering Handbook" or
                  even
                  more specifically, "Machinery's Handbook". Also key to handling all this
                  heavy stuff is knowing its "center-of-gravity", which can be calculated.

                  Not as much fun as driving a semi-rig onto the highway scales
                  or hitting those great air-horns, but the job paid well.

                  The Challenger is one of the greatest landmarks of the Steam Era.
                  Would that we could all get posted as a fireman on one of those!

                  Have fun!
                  Reynard