New Member Questions

  • mkbrooks7007
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 12, 2010
      I am a new member and new to Z-scale and have lots of questions. I have built a couple of room-size N-scale layouts and want to start my first Z-scale layout. Can anyone suggest: 1. Where to find a good small 2'x4' or smaller track plan; 2. How to create grades with a foam baseboard; 3. How to uncouple Marklin couplers without an uncoupling track? I just bought a Marklin starter set and am getting tired of watching the train go around in that small circle of track.
    • Brad Saunders
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 12, 2010
        Welcome .

        Published Z-scale layouts certainly aren't as common as N and HO so don't
        hesitate to consider converting a favorite you might have in one of those
        other scales . it is relatively easy to do if sticking to basic rectangle
        configurations . I recommend using a divide by 2 factor for HO layouts or a
        divide by 1.25 for N layouts, in other words for a 2'x4' Z-scale layout,
        look at loosely adapting 4'x8' HO layouts or 2.5'x5' N layouts. I would
        start by applying the scale for locating key elements like turnouts first
        and then simply extend the track between the turnouts generally following
        the original design. Since there aren't a variety of turnouts available in
        Z, you might have to make some minor adjustments, especially if the other
        scale's turnouts are really long ones. Generally this presumes you are
        willing to use flex track although snap track adaption is possible with a
        bit more consideration for the differences in what available. Maybe the
        idea is to simply use the other scale's layouts as inspiration and as a
        general guide for what fits operationally within the space.

        For foam risers, I really like using the Woodland Scenics riser system . if
        you are interested, a page on my website covers a bit on this subject:
        http://mysite.ncnetwork.net/res10q6bx/foam.htm.

        As for Marklin couplers . gee, I've never actually tried to uncouple cars
        while keeping them on the track :0) . I suppose that it can be done with
        some sort of tool but I don't have any recommendations on that.

        Brad

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 12, 2010
          I would suggest you go here:

          http://www.ztrains.com/

          Be sure to follow ALL the headings. - especially Z scale basics at http://www.ztrains.com/basics/index.html

          Welcome to Z!
          Lindley

        • ztrack@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 13, 2010
            Welcome to Z! We have posted a few track plans that are available for
            download. Ones like the Joe Szajko one may be a good option. You can find them
            under the track plan link on our home page:

            http://www.ztrack.com/

            I have created grades by cutting down lengths of foam. I also have used
            Walther's risers. The Walthers foam risers are very easy to work with. They are
            2%, can be curved and easily worked. They are wide for Z, but can be cut
            down to size if necessary.

            As for uncoupling Marklin trucks without the uncoupling track... the hand
            of God works well. :)

            Some folks have made uncoupling tools that work fairly well, but it is
            still a manual process.

            Rob

            Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
            6142 Northcliff Blvd.
            Dublin, OH 43016
            phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
            www.ztrack.com
            www.ztrackcenter.com
            Distributor American Z Line

          • StonyS
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 13, 2010
              Welcome to Z!!!!

              One thing you might be interested in.. there's a fairly active Z community at www.zcentralstation.com

              In addition to the gallery and forums, there's also a chat room where you can ask questions directly.

              Formal chat times are Sunday at 1p.m. and Wednesday at 9p.m. Eastern Time, but there are often people wandering thru on other days/times.

              Anyone is welcome to join in the chat. If you have questions about anything Z, that is a place where you can possibly find answers faster than posting them in the forums. Chat is a great place to meet the people you have read about in the forums.

              Z-you there.
              Stony

              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 14, 2010
                Thanks to everyone who replied to my post. Your suggestions were a great help.