Re: Decoder for Micro train SD40-2 ???

  • jeffcrist2002
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 12, 2010
      Jack, its the snow plows. Trim it so its flush with the flat part, and you shouldnt have any problems.

      john

      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Jack Chase <cjc167x@...> wrote:

      > Thanks, Loren--That helps!
      > The SD40s are really nice looking engines!
      > Oh, they did arrive in time for the train show!
      > Jack

    • Garth
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 12, 2010
        I added the bullfrog snot to the blind center wheel on each truck on both sides and I did improve the pulling power of the SD40-2. I also tried installing a regular axle in the center position. Changing the axle did not improve performance but adding the bullfrog snot did.

        I found the sd40-2 had about the same pulling power as the GP35 and with the bullfrog snot it was increased by about 40%.

        But be careful of not getting that snot anywhere else but on the tire tread as it will take a bit of skill to clean out the snot if you miss. You have to add the snot while the wheels are turning so if not careful it can go a long way real fast.

        cheerz Garth

        > Hi Jack,
        > I've never tried it but "Bullfrog Snot" might help.
        > You can get it any of our online Z scale stores.
        >
        > regardZ,
        > Reynard
        > On Mar 11, 2010, at 8:25 PM, Jack Chase wrote:
        >
        > > Hi, Garth & anyone else!
        > > My friend Tony got the decoder in my SD40 today--with a LOT of work
        > > I might add. While the engine does functio & run acceptably, it
        > > has very poor pulling power (spins its wheels a lot!) What
        > > solutions are there to this difficulty?
        > > Regards,
        > > Jack Chase

      • Jack Chase
        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 12, 2010
          Thanks, Ed.  I'll check.  The plow does appear to be low!
          Jack

          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 12, 2010
            Thanks!

            Jack, its the snow plows. Trim it so its flush with the flat part, and you shouldnt have any problems.

            john

            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups .com, Jack Chase <cjc167x@... > wrote:

            > Thanks, Loren--That helps!
            > The SD40s are really nice looking engines!
            > Oh, they did arrive in time for the train show!
            > Jack

          • Jack Chase
            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 12, 2010
              Thanks, Garth.
              I sure wish that a person could buy a smaller quantity of the Bullfrog Snot--that jar they sell is beyone a lifetime supply!
              Regards,
              Jack Chase