Re: Decoder for Micro train SD40-2 ???

  • Garth
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 6, 2010
      The TCS MZA4 will work with the SD40-2 but it requires a bit of work with the pins that hold the board in place to make it work.

      The digitrax drop in for the GP does not work with the sd40-2.

      You could also hard wire a Z2 from TCS.

      cheerz Garth

      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "HenriS" <HSeynaeve@...> wrote:

      > I understand the TCS and digitrax decoder does not fit the new MT SD40 Z scale.
      > Which decoder to fit the SD40?
      > Thank you for your help.
      > Henri
      > Corona, CA

    • John Mui
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 6, 2010
        Henry, follow this tread. It will show you how to dcc your engine.

        (http://www.trainboard.com/grapevine/showthread.php?t=112314&page=30)

        John
        >I understand the TCS and digitrax decoder does not fit the new MT SD40 Z
        >scale.
        > Which decoder to fit the SD40?
        > Thank you for your help.
        > Henri
        > Corona, CA

      • Garth
        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 7, 2010
          Roberts process of installation in sd40-2 starts here

          http://www.trainboard.com/grapevine/showthread.php?t=112314&page=23

          cheerz
          Garth

          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "John Mui" <jmui@...> wrote:

          > Henry, follow this tread. It will show you how to dcc your engine.
          >
          > (http://www.trainboard.com/grapevine/showthread.php?t=112314&page=30)
          >

          > John

        • sj_baz_man
          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 8, 2010
            TCS will show you:

            http://www.tcsdcc.com/Customer_Content/Installation_Pictures/Z_Scale/MTL/Micro%20Train%20Chassis%20revision/Micro_Train_Cassis_Revision.html

            (Make sure you get all of the above 2 lines)

            Jeff
            SF Bay Area Z

            > Roberts process of installation in sd40-2 starts here
            >
            > http://www.trainboard.com/grapevine/showthread.php?t=112314&page=23
            >
            > cheerz
            > Garth
            >
            > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "John Mui" <jmui@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Henry, follow this tread. It will show you how to dcc your engine.
            > >
            > > (http://www.trainboard.com/grapevine/showthread.php?t=112314&page=30)
            > >

            > > John

          • Jack Chase
            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 8, 2010
              Good evening, Jeff:
              So--are the photos on the TCS website showing how to file the board or what?  I am a bit confused by this!
              Hopefully someone can clarify a bit more before I hack into my new SD40-2s!
              Thanks
              Jack Chase
              Wasatch Z Club

              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups .com, "Garth" <garth.a.hamilton@ ...> wrote:

              > Roberts process of installation in sd40-2 starts here
              >
              > http://www.trainboa rd.com/grapevine /showthread. php?t=112314& page=23
              >
              > cheerz
              > Garth
              >
              > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups .com, "John Mui" <jmui@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Henry, follow this tread. It will show you how to dcc your engine.
              > >
              > > (http://www.trainboa rd.com/grapevine /showthread. php?t=112314& page=30)
              > >

              > > John

            • Garth
              Message 6 of 18 , Mar 9, 2010
                Hi Jack;

                The photos show that the slot that holds the light board has to be modified to accommodate the thicker board from TCS versus the light board from Micro Trains. The height of the slot was altered with a file to increase the height of the gap into which the board has to placed. There is no modification made to the MZA4 board as that would void your warranty on the decoder.

                The slot has to done carefully so that the board is caught in the slot to make electrical contact with the frame for power to the decoder.

                cheers Garth

                --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Jack Chase <cjc167x@...> wrote:

                > Good evening, Jeff:
                > So--are the photos on the TCS website showing how to file the board or what?  I am a bit confused by this!
                > Hopefully someone can clarify a bit more before I hack into my new SD40-2s!
                > Thanks
                > Jack Chase
                > Wasatch Z Club

              • Jack Chase
                Message 7 of 18 , Mar 11, 2010
                  Hi, Garth & anyone else!
                  My friend Tony got the decoder in my SD40 today--with a LOT of work I might add.  While the engine does functio & run acceptably, it has very poor pulling power (spins its wheels a lot!)  What solutions are there to this difficulty?
                  Regards,
                  Jack Chase

                  The photos show that the slot that holds the light board has to be modified to accommodate the thicker board from TCS versus the light board from Micro Trains. The height of the slot was altered with a file to increase the height of the gap into which the board has to placed. There is no modification made to the MZA4 board as that would void your warranty on the decoder.

                  The slot has to done carefully so that the board is caught in the slot to make electrical contact with the frame for power to the decoder.

                  cheers Garth

                  --- In z_scale@yahoogroups .com, Jack Chase <cjc167x@... > wrote:

                  > Good evening, Jeff:
                  > So--are the photos on the TCS website showing how to file the board or what?  I am a bit confused by this!
                  > Hopefully someone can clarify a bit more before I hack into my new SD40-2s!
                  > Thanks
                  > Jack Chase
                  > Wasatch Z Club

                • Loren Snyder
                  Message 8 of 18 , Mar 11, 2010
                    Jack,
                    Quit greasing the rails? Sorry, but I couldn't resist that one. I've never
                    heard of a SD spinning its wheels like that. I'm stumped.
                    Will be interesting to see what folks have to say.

                    Honest, I didn't grease the wheels before I sent it to you.
                    Loren

                    Message 9 of 18 , Mar 11, 2010
                      Thanks, Loren--That helps!
                      The SD40s are really nice looking engines!
                      Oh, they did arrive in time for the train show!

                      Message 10 of 18 , Mar 11, 2010
                        You know me Jack, always trying to get in the way......uh, I mean be helpful
                        :o)
                        Loren

                        The SD40s are really nice looking engines!
                        Oh, they did arrive in time for the train show!
                        Jack

                      • Reynard Wellman
                        Message 11 of 18 , Mar 11, 2010
                          Hi Jack,
                          I've never tried it but "Bullfrog Snot" might help.
                          You can get it any of our online Z scale stores.

                          regardZ,
                          Reynard

                        • Ed Turner
                          Message 12 of 18 , Mar 12, 2010
                            Hi Jack,

                            I have run into a similar incident in the pass. Turned out when I put the shell back on the front plow was touching the track. I adjusted the shell up and everything was fine. Check it out. It may be as simple as that for you also.

                            Ed

                          • jeffcrist2002
                            Message 13 of 18 , Mar 12, 2010
                              Jack, its the snow plows. Trim it so its flush with the flat part, and you shouldnt have any problems.

                              john

                              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Jack Chase <cjc167x@...> wrote:

                              > Thanks, Loren--That helps!
                              > The SD40s are really nice looking engines!
                              > Oh, they did arrive in time for the train show!
                              > Jack

                            • Garth
                              Message 14 of 18 , Mar 12, 2010
                                I added the bullfrog snot to the blind center wheel on each truck on both sides and I did improve the pulling power of the SD40-2. I also tried installing a regular axle in the center position. Changing the axle did not improve performance but adding the bullfrog snot did.

                                I found the sd40-2 had about the same pulling power as the GP35 and with the bullfrog snot it was increased by about 40%.

                                But be careful of not getting that snot anywhere else but on the tire tread as it will take a bit of skill to clean out the snot if you miss. You have to add the snot while the wheels are turning so if not careful it can go a long way real fast.

                                cheerz Garth

                                > Hi Jack,
                                > I've never tried it but "Bullfrog Snot" might help.
                                > You can get it any of our online Z scale stores.
                                >
                                > regardZ,
                                > Reynard
                                > On Mar 11, 2010, at 8:25 PM, Jack Chase wrote:
                                >
                                > > Hi, Garth & anyone else!
                                > > My friend Tony got the decoder in my SD40 today--with a LOT of work
                                > > I might add. While the engine does functio & run acceptably, it
                                > > has very poor pulling power (spins its wheels a lot!) What
                                > > solutions are there to this difficulty?
                                > > Regards,
                                > > Jack Chase

                              • Jack Chase
                                Message 15 of 18 , Mar 12, 2010
                                  Thanks, Ed.  I'll check.  The plow does appear to be low!

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Mar 12, 2010
                                    Thanks!

                                    Jack, its the snow plows. Trim it so its flush with the flat part, and you shouldnt have any problems.

                                    john

                                    --- In z_scale@yahoogroups .com, Jack Chase <cjc167x@... > wrote:

                                    > Thanks, Loren--That helps!
                                    > The SD40s are really nice looking engines!
                                    > Oh, they did arrive in time for the train show!
                                    > Jack

                                  • Jack Chase
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Mar 12, 2010
                                      Thanks, Garth.
                                      I sure wish that a person could buy a smaller quantity of the Bullfrog Snot--that jar they sell is beyone a lifetime supply!
                                      Regards,
                                      Jack Chase