Re: [Z_Scale] Re: Back in the Z game! Finially!!!! LOL

  • Uwe Liermann
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 5, 2010
      Hello Terry,

      today I've been at my local dealer to check for some item's I have on
      order. There I saw those Brawa plugs he had on display.

      Regarding the new plugs with the pin diameter of 1.6mm (the old ones
      have a diameter of 2.6mm) there is a small difference between those
      from Maerklin and Brawa. The Maerklin plugs have a plstic form around
      the pin which closes around the other plug if you plug into the side
      of another plug. You can see that here:

      http://medienpdb.maerklin.de/product_files/1/img/grossansicht/71400.jpg

      The Brawa plug with the new diameter of 1.6 mm is formed just like the
      old ones with 2.6mm (except of the pin diameter). This might be
      leading to a small problem if you want to insert one plug into the
      side of another one. A Brawa plug into a Maerklin plug should work
      fine, but a Maerklin plug into a Brawa plug might not work because the
      cut out at the sides is not existing at those new Brawa plugs.

      I also asked my dealer why Brawa still can make those old plugs. The
      answer is in my eyes an example of bureaucrats with too much time
      somewhere in the confines of the European Union...

      Brawas item are declared as "technical toys" and therefore they still
      may produce those items. The Maerklin items are declared as "toys for
      kids", and thus stronger safety rules have to be followed. Of course
      it is good to have high safety standards for toys for kids, but this
      seems to be just a little over the top...

      While talking about all this we also came across the catalogue with
      the new items for 2010 from Maerklin. Here we found those control
      panels I mentioned in my earlier posting. I wrote about the difference
      between the old ones 7272/3/4 and the newer ones 72720/30/40. I also
      wrote:

      > Those control panels comes also in different colors. First they were
      > blue with round buttons. Then they were white with rectangular buttons
      > and in the current catalogue they are blue with rectangular buttons.
      > Seems like the fashion industry at work... ;-))

      Those new items we found are in packs of 5 with a new item number. And
      they are made for the old plugs with 2.6mm pins...

      http://www.maerklin.de/de/service/suche/details.html?art_nr=70729

      http://www.maerklin.de/de/service/suche/details.html?art_nr=70739

      http://www.maerklin.de/de/service/suche/details.html?art_nr=70749

      I love it when they are bored in the European Union.... ;-))

      --
      GreetingZ
      Uwe
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 8, 2010
        Good Morning Uwe [or it is Morning somewhere in the world/LOL].
        I am on my second [of usual 4] Espresso cups this AM. So Rock an Roll time!
        Again Thank you for your information an input. From what you gave me and follow up on that info. It looks like I will be playing mix and match with the different Marklin/Brawa controllors and plugs. Depending on the manufacturing/purchase time frames.
        Since Brawa lists several wiring sizes. I am still confused on the Brawa wiring mm size I should be looking at for the Marklin Z. Any help or alternate suggestions would be appreciated.
        Again Thank you for all your help. Getting back into this will take more effort then I thought [but worth it]. Especially after reading the lead article in the most current ZTrack/Trackside Perspective on old oil[aka sludge]. I am in contact with the Stiska's on that detail. Tery in NH USA

        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Uwe Liermann <maillist@...> wrote:

        > Hello Terry,
        >
        > today I've been at my local dealer to check for some item's I have on
        > order. There I saw those Brawa plugs he had on display.
        >
        > Regarding the new plugs with the pin diameter of 1.6mm (the old ones
        > have a diameter of 2.6mm) there is a small difference between those
        > from Maerklin and Brawa. The Maerklin plugs have a plstic form around
        > the pin which closes around the other plug if you plug into the side
        > of another plug. You can see that here:
        >
        > http://medienpdb.maerklin.de/product_files/1/img/grossansicht/71400.jpg
        >
        > The Brawa plug with the new diameter of 1.6 mm is formed just like the
        > old ones with 2.6mm (except of the pin diameter). This might be
        > leading to a small problem if you want to insert one plug into the
        > side of another one. A Brawa plug into a Maerklin plug should work
        > fine, but a Maerklin plug into a Brawa plug might not work because the
        > cut out at the sides is not existing at those new Brawa plugs.
        >
        > I also asked my dealer why Brawa still can make those old plugs. The
        > answer is in my eyes an example of bureaucrats with too much time
        > somewhere in the confines of the European Union...
        >
        > Brawas item are declared as "technical toys" and therefore they still
        > may produce those items. The Maerklin items are declared as "toys for
        > kids", and thus stronger safety rules have to be followed. Of course
        > it is good to have high safety standards for toys for kids, but this
        > seems to be just a little over the top...
        >
        > While talking about all this we also came across the catalogue with
        > the new items for 2010 from Maerklin. Here we found those control
        > panels I mentioned in my earlier posting. I wrote about the difference
        > between the old ones 7272/3/4 and the newer ones 72720/30/40. I also
        > wrote:
        >
        > > Those control panels comes also in different colors. First they were
        > > blue with round buttons. Then they were white with rectangular buttons
        > > and in the current catalogue they are blue with rectangular buttons.
        > > Seems like the fashion industry at work... ;-))
        >
        > Those new items we found are in packs of 5 with a new item number. And
        > they are made for the old plugs with 2.6mm pins...
        >
        > http://www.maerklin.de/de/service/suche/details.html?art_nr=70729
        >
        > http://www.maerklin.de/de/service/suche/details.html?art_nr=70739
        >
        > http://www.maerklin.de/de/service/suche/details.html?art_nr=70749
        >

        > I love it when they are bored in the European Union.... ;-))
        >
        > --
        > GreetingZ
        > Uwe

      • gwhackman
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 23, 2010
          Uwe,
          Sorry being slow to follow up this wealth of informaiton [aka Goldmine] you have sent me. Spring yardwork arrived a month and half early here! Many Thanks for your efforts. It is exactly what I needed to Un-Confurse me/LOL! Of course, if you ever talk to my wife she would advise that I am in a state of perpetual confusion. Again, Thanks. Game On! Terry in New Hampshire USA.