Re: DIY Controller

  • flyerbait
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 2, 2010
      Yeah I too have been looking into using rechargable 9 volt batteries for a D.C supply for L.E.Ds lighting on a portable layout. The idea was to make a layout that can run off either mains or battery power depending where its being used. So the question has been either a single 9 volt battery, or 2 x 4 packs of C or D cells (12 volts) so I can flip a switch and run the lighting and accessories of the mains or battery backup.

      I have also been looking at doing a sound system. The ECC netbooks are very cheap now, but it doesn't seem to be that easy to multi stream several different sound loops around a layout (even by adding extra sound cards). A lot easier to use several smaller MP3 players that recharge off a computers USB supply, plug them into seperate speakers wired into the layout (which run off mains, they suck the juice out of batteries too fast). As each MP3 player runs flat, you can simply swop them out with another one. You can set up tracks on each player to hold all the sound tracks you would use on your layout .. ie: city traffic, farmyard sounds, rail yard noises, etc. but sellect the track for the particular speaker area and put it on endless repeat. Costs under 10$ for a cheap powered speaker (Tear these appart, build another speaker box into or under the scenery, have the audio volume accessable but out of view), and 20$+ for a basic MP3 player. Some Mp3 players are also powered by AAA batteries, which means all you have to do is swop out the battery to recharge.

      Anyway, and idea thats in work.

      Leigh

      > 9 volts is the suggested voltage for Z.

    • Garth
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 2, 2010
        Hi Leigh;

        Getting 9vdc from D or C cells is a lot of weight and not a lot of capacity. If you want something big and robust use a 6vdc lantern battery. For myself I would use a 4 pack of 9vdc batteries in parallel as I have found I can run 3-5 shows with the same set of batteries before replacing or recharging them. This gives you the amperage so the draw down on the batteries is minimal and when left connected together, but not to a load, they recover a certain percentage on their own between shows. They are less weight and less restate to use this than a pack of D or C cells. To get 9vdc from a group of battery cells you need groups of 6xAA, 6xAAA, 6xC , or 6xD cells. These are all 1.4 - 1.5 vdc per cell depending on whether they are generic, alkaline, etc.

        cheerz Garth