Back in the Z game! Finially!!!! LOL

  • gwhackman
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 2, 2010
      My background.
      I got into Marklin European Z while in Arizona in the early 1980's. Lifestyle working commitments derailed my setting up until after being well into retirement. I now live near Concord NH. [And Please No jokes as how I ended up from being a AZ Flatlander from Phoenix w/ no snow, to up to it in Spades in NH.] I am amazed at the progress of this gauge. Even though I could not set up my trains. I have been adding to my collection thru the years.
      Now my predicament!!!!

      Questions:
      1- There seems to have been a change in the Marklin plug sizes since I started. I found this out when making purchases of used controllers on Ebay. I found a source of plugs thru BRAWA. But I can't decipher their code numbers as to what would fit [if any] the old style [orginial] Marklin Z products. Or, which would be the new Marklin Z plugs. If anyone has the Brawa product code breakout for our Z it would be apprciated!

      2- I also need help [again BRAWA] on the correct color wiring sizes. I need to purchase in bulk. Which would be the correct numbers?

      Any help would be appreciated!!!!

      If there are any Z, or Z Bend types located near me in NH I would be more then happy to hear from you. Terry
    • Uwe Liermann
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 2, 2010
        Hello Terry,

        > Questions:
        > 1- There seems to have been a change in the Marklin plug sizes since
        > I started. I found this out when making purchases of used
        > controllers on Ebay. I found a source of plugs thru BRAWA. But I
        > can't decipher their code numbers as to what would fit [if any] the
        > old style [orginial] Marklin Z products. Or, which would be the new
        > Marklin Z plugs. If anyone has the Brawa product code breakout for
        > our Z it would be> !

        here's the Brawa website with their connector items:

        http://www.brawa.de/en/products/h0/electrical-accessories/connectors.html

        Some years back Maerklin changed their connectors to a thinner pin
        version. In the same conversion they changed the design, so that when
        connecting a plug to the side of another plug no metal part is visible
        anymore. As far as I remember it had to do with higher security
        against getting in contact with electric current when handling those
        connections...

        At Brawa the old plugs and sockets have a 30xx item number, and the
        corresponding new plugs and sockets have a 37xx item number. If I see
        it right on the Brawa website only the second digit of the item number
        is changed for any connector or socket.

        At Maerklin the item number has 4 digits for the older version and 5
        digits for the new version.

        --
        GreetingZ
        Uwe
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 3, 2010
          Uwe,
          Many Thanks in helping to straighten me out on the plugs. Two more questions.
          1- On the wiring diameter? The Brawa 0.14/2 mm. Is that correct for out Marklin Z standard?
          2- Regarding the Brawa Junction Blocks 2591-2594? Are they considered the replacement for the old [2591-2] Marklin block number 7209? The first two in the series being for the older M plug system and the last two [2593-4] the newer standard?
          Again, Thanks, Terry.

          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Uwe Liermann <maillist@...> wrote:

          > Hello Terry,
          >
          > > Questions:
          > > 1- There seems to have been a change in the Marklin plug sizes since
          > > I started. I found this out when making purchases of used
          > > controllers on Ebay. I found a source of plugs thru BRAWA. But I
          > > can't decipher their code numbers as to what would fit [if any] the
          > > old style [orginial] Marklin Z products. Or, which would be the new
          > > Marklin Z plugs. If anyone has the Brawa product code breakout for
          > > our Z it would be> !
          >
          > here's the Brawa website with their connector items:
          >
          > http://www.brawa.de/en/products/h0/electrical-accessories/connectors.html
          >
          > Some years back Maerklin changed their connectors to a thinner pin
          > version. In the same conversion they changed the design, so that when
          > connecting a plug to the side of another plug no metal part is visible
          > anymore. As far as I remember it had to do with higher security
          > against getting in contact with electric current when handling those
          > connections...
          >
          > At Brawa the old plugs and sockets have a 30xx item number, and the
          > corresponding new plugs and sockets have a 37xx item number. If I see
          > it right on the Brawa website only the second digit of the item number
          > is changed for any connector or socket.
          >
          > At Maerklin the item number has 4 digits for the older version and 5
          > digits for the new version.
          >

          > --
          > GreetingZ
          > Uwe

        • Uwe Liermann
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 3, 2010
            Hello Terry,

            > Two more questions.

            no problem... ;-))

            > 1- On the wiring diameter? The Brawa 0.14/2 mm. Is that correct for
            > out Marklin Z standard?

            That should be okay for most of the tasks needed. In the Z-section of
            Maerklin 2006 catalogue they list a cable with 0.19/2mm, butif I remember
            right I have used many rolls of 0.14/2mm from Maerklin too.
            Unfortunately they don't state the size on the product website from
            Maerklin:

            http://www.maerklin.de/de/service/suche/details.html?art_nr=7105

            If you take the Brawa items 3172 / 3173 they are made to match the
            cable colors of the wires from the Maerklin turnouts (two blue one
            yellow).

            In any case I would use stronger cable for longer distances for the
            track power. Here I would use 0.75/2mm for the long distance and/or as
            a ring wire and made the short connection to the track with the
            lighter wires. The Brawa items are 3195 / 3196. But then I'm also
            known to be more on the careful side with some details...

            > 2- Regarding the Brawa Junction Blocks 2591-2594? Are they
            > considered the replacement for the old [2591-2] Marklin block number
            > 7209? The first two in the series being for the older M plug system
            > and the last two [2593-4] the newer standard?

            Yes, that is correct. Unfortunately Brawa didn't show the 2593-4 items
            as a picture, and also the pictures for the newer plugs and sockets are
            wrong. Those pictures shows the same as the picture for the older
            items. For the packs they always show the 3071 picture...

            If you want to see the difference between the new and old system you
            should visit the Maerklin website (first link the item description and
            the second link for a bigger picture):

            Here are the old plugs and sockets:

            http://www.maerklin.de/de/service/suche/details.html?art_nr=7130

            http://medienpdb.maerklin.de/product_files/1/img/grossansicht/7130.jpg

            and here the newer plugs and sockets:

            http://www.maerklin.de/de/service/suche/details.html?art_nr=71415

            http://medienpdb.maerklin.de/product_files/1/img/grossansicht/71415.jpg

            here's a more details picture of the new plug and socket:

            http://www.maerklin.de/de/service/suche/details.html?art_nr=71400

            http://medienpdb.maerklin.de/product_files/1/img/grossansicht/71400.jpg

            About the junction blocks:

            Here is the old Maerklin version:

            http://www.maerklin.de/de/service/suche/details.html?art_nr=7209

            http://medienpdb.maerklin.de/product_files/1/img/grossansicht/7209.jpg

            and here the new Maerklin version:

            http://www.maerklin.de/de/service/suche/details.html?art_nr=72090

            http://medienpdb.maerklin.de/product_files/1/img/grossansicht/72090.jpg

            Then there are the old control panels:

            http://www.maerklin.de/de/service/suche/details.html?art_nr=7272

            http://medienpdb.maerklin.de/product_files/1/img/grossansicht/7272.jpg

            http://www.maerklin.de/de/service/suche/details.html?art_nr=7273

            http://medienpdb.maerklin.de/product_files/1/img/grossansicht/7273.jpg

            http://www.maerklin.de/de/service/suche/details.html?art_nr=7274

            http://medienpdb.maerklin.de/product_files/1/img/grossansicht/7274.jpg

            and here the new ones (just add a 0 as the fifth digit of the item#):

            http://www.maerklin.de/de/service/suche/details.html?art_nr=72720

            http://medienpdb.maerklin.de/product_files/1/img/grossansicht/72720.jpg

            http://www.maerklin.de/de/service/suche/details.html?art_nr=72730

            http://medienpdb.maerklin.de/product_files/1/img/grossansicht/72730.jpg

            http://www.maerklin.de/de/service/suche/details.html?art_nr=72740

            http://medienpdb.maerklin.de/product_files/1/img/grossansicht/72740.jpg

            Those control panels comes also in different colors. First they were
            blue with round buttons. Then they were white with rectangular buttons
            and in the current catalogue they are blue with rectangular buttons.
            Seems like the fashion industry at work... ;-))

            Personally I use both versions of those plugs and sockets...
            ...as far as I use them anyway. Mostly only for temporary
            installations since I prefer to make soldered joints in a permanent
            layout.

            --
            GreetingZ
            Uwe
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 5, 2010
              Hello Terry,

              today I've been at my local dealer to check for some item's I have on
              order. There I saw those Brawa plugs he had on display.

              Regarding the new plugs with the pin diameter of 1.6mm (the old ones
              have a diameter of 2.6mm) there is a small difference between those
              from Maerklin and Brawa. The Maerklin plugs have a plstic form around
              the pin which closes around the other plug if you plug into the side
              of another plug. You can see that here:

              http://medienpdb.maerklin.de/product_files/1/img/grossansicht/71400.jpg

              The Brawa plug with the new diameter of 1.6 mm is formed just like the
              old ones with 2.6mm (except of the pin diameter). This might be
              leading to a small problem if you want to insert one plug into the
              side of another one. A Brawa plug into a Maerklin plug should work
              fine, but a Maerklin plug into a Brawa plug might not work because the
              cut out at the sides is not existing at those new Brawa plugs.

              I also asked my dealer why Brawa still can make those old plugs. The
              answer is in my eyes an example of bureaucrats with too much time
              somewhere in the confines of the European Union...

              Brawas item are declared as "technical toys" and therefore they still
              may produce those items. The Maerklin items are declared as "toys for
              kids", and thus stronger safety rules have to be followed. Of course
              it is good to have high safety standards for toys for kids, but this
              seems to be just a little over the top...

              While talking about all this we also came across the catalogue with
              the new items for 2010 from Maerklin. Here we found those control
              panels I mentioned in my earlier posting. I wrote about the difference
              between the old ones 7272/3/4 and the newer ones 72720/30/40. I also
              wrote:

              > Those control panels comes also in different colors. First they were
              > blue with round buttons. Then they were white with rectangular buttons
              > and in the current catalogue they are blue with rectangular buttons.
              > Seems like the fashion industry at work... ;-))

              Those new items we found are in packs of 5 with a new item number. And
              they are made for the old plugs with 2.6mm pins...

              http://www.maerklin.de/de/service/suche/details.html?art_nr=70729

              http://www.maerklin.de/de/service/suche/details.html?art_nr=70739

              http://www.maerklin.de/de/service/suche/details.html?art_nr=70749

              I love it when they are bored in the European Union.... ;-))

              --
              GreetingZ
              Uwe
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 8, 2010
                Good Morning Uwe [or it is Morning somewhere in the world/LOL].
                I am on my second [of usual 4] Espresso cups this AM. So Rock an Roll time!
                Again Thank you for your information an input. From what you gave me and follow up on that info. It looks like I will be playing mix and match with the different Marklin/Brawa controllors and plugs. Depending on the manufacturing/purchase time frames.
                Since Brawa lists several wiring sizes. I am still confused on the Brawa wiring mm size I should be looking at for the Marklin Z. Any help or alternate suggestions would be appreciated.
                Again Thank you for all your help. Getting back into this will take more effort then I thought [but worth it]. Especially after reading the lead article in the most current ZTrack/Trackside Perspective on old oil[aka sludge]. I am in contact with the Stiska's on that detail. Tery in NH USA

              • gwhackman
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 23, 2010
                  Uwe,
                  Sorry being slow to follow up this wealth of informaiton [aka Goldmine] you have sent me. Spring yardwork arrived a month and half early here! Many Thanks for your efforts. It is exactly what I needed to Un-Confurse me/LOL! Of course, if you ever talk to my wife she would advise that I am in a state of perpetual confusion. Again, Thanks. Game On! Terry in New Hampshire USA.