Japanese steamers..

  • flyerbait
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 2, 2010
      Yes.. the introduction of these loco's made me hold back bidding on marklin steamers on several auctions. I'm looking forward to seeing their future releases. I'm a big fan of any product which is designed to last, rather than objects designed to have a short lifetime. I vote for these products with my money. Just a question though, has anyone thought of sending a request for a tenshodo rep to come and monitor product feed back from this group? (might be a more rapid method of getting US protoype products happening).

      The other question was... Now that Micro trains isn't producing their F3's anymore, are they looking at redesigning this loco in the future (perhaps with room for a decoder, a better motor, more detail, windows, etc)? What about other first and second generation loco's? I have been reading up on the product improvements that have been going on with H.O and N scale product lines, and I'm finding myself a bit jealous of the improvements (I also suspect everytime Z scale products improve.. those improvements seem to be radiating up scale to other products).

      On another subject.. I managed to score a couple of Kirbri Z scale Truck kits, lots of fun, they look good (despite a few screw ups) and are euro I do like how they look. each kit does 4 different trucks with lettering for a brewery. Easy to follow instructions as well. I used "super glue" to put them together, and the chopped needle tool really worked well ( I think this has been mentioned before, where you get a needle, snip the end of the eye off, put the sharp end into a bit of dowel, easy to clean off).

      Leigh
    • Garth
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 2, 2010
        I think Micro Trains has already shown us the next generation of diesel mechanisms with the GP7 GP35 and now the SD40-2 and maybe soon the E8. The essentials are the 10vdc 8mm can motor and a split frame with light board and isolated motor from chassis for easy conversion to DCC. I am not sure the Z Market is ready for a flood of other diesel bodies just yet so I think the extra choices will come from other shells from outside suppliers that will fit on AZL and MTL chassis and will require a bit of work to get them on the rail.

        The Old F7A can be converted to DCC rather easily by some of us but it is not easy for many. They run well with add on pick up kit and are very nice on DCC with that upgrade. Quite a few of us have shown that the dummy B unit can be powered with a bit of work using the F7A chassis and some of us have shown that the old shells for the F7A and F7B can be mounted on modified GP chassis so they are also DCCable in that form. Glass in the widows is fairly easy to do as well with the Micro Scale product. You can now purchase the bare chassis for the GP from at least one source so much is possible.

        As for actually seeing another F7 model in the near future that is hard to say as Micro Trains usually keeps such details close to their chestbut my bet would be no. I would not be surprised to see an FPxA as that could be fitted on the current GP chassis and who knows we might see an FT, F3 or F9 in the future. With the advent of the SD40-2 there are quite a few options for other models open now. Even using the GP Chassis with a new set of trucks the PA and PB could be modeled. A couple of us modified the Hallmark Christmas Ornament PA from the Liberty Trains series with power from a GP chassis to get an operational PA Locomotive. With the metal shell it has lots of pulling power.

        So for the artistic and adventurous the sky is the limit for the RTR only crowd not quite as easily satisfied.

        cheerz Garth