D51 Japanese Mikado at show yesterday.

  • Garth
    Message 1 of 28 , Feb 1, 2010
      I had my D51 at a train show yesterday and it ran for 5 and a half hours straight without a stop at 2.5 volts pulling ten cars never got worm and other than the voltage is too small for the LED to really light up it was quite a hit.

      I also had my CP GP35's running on DCC with the operating ditch lights and between these two we created quite s stir at the Ancaster TH&B Show near Hamilton Ontario.

      One thing that really impressed me as a newbie to using DCC was the smoother operation of the pair of GP35's Never had an uncoupling incident which in the past I would see several in a days operating. For the last hour I switched over to DC on these two units with TCS MZA4 installed and even on DC than ran better to-gether with the decoders installed than they did before the decoders were installed and absolutely no tugging which sometimes led to uncoupling. This pair had done at least 7 shows before conversion to DCC.

      Had the train board right down at eye level for the kids and they loved watching me switch the alternating ditch lights on and off and the headlight as the train was running.

      Sold enough N-scale to purchase a few more MZA4's and I can see running longer trains with mid train helpers.

      cheerz Garth
    • fredshark@earthlink.net
      Message 2 of 28 , Feb 3, 2010
        Garth wrote: I had my D51 at a train show yesterday and it ran for 5 and a half hours straight without a stop at 2.5 volts pulling ten cars never got warm and other than the voltage is too small for the LED to really light up it was quite a hit.

        Garth,

        On the Hobby Search web site, http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10092803, there is the caveat for the D51 that states "Cannot run through a Marklin curve point due to partial difference in scale size." Have you had any difficulty running this locomotive on Marklin, or MTL for that matter, track? Thank you.

        Cheers,

        Jeff Walsh
      • Garth
        Message 3 of 28 , Feb 4, 2010
          Hi Jeff;

          I suspect the problem with the Marklin Curved turnout is the same one many have with the other steamers and that is the font pilot comes off the rails when it hits the point of the rail to enter the smaller radius. It is very light and small so no room for any additional weight. As far as my running I have no problem with it on Micro Trains Roadbed track and switches and on Peco track with Wright turnouts and hand laid track and turnouts made using code 40 rail and FastTrack jigs.

          I have no Marklin track but since 2002 I have worked on the Golden Blackhawk and Central City RR at National shows so I am familiar with the track and that curved turnout can be troublesome for other engines as well when running against the points. If you are patient and gentle you can notch the rail so the point is hidden or set into the rail on the outside of the curved rail and this makes it perform better.

          cheerz Garth

        • fredshark@earthlink.net
          Message 4 of 28 , Feb 5, 2010
            Garth,

            Thank you for the insight. I have to admit that I am a bit intimated by the scale warning from Hobby Search. However, I am using MTL track on my layout as well. So a personal examination and trail is in order! Thanks again.

            Cheers,

            Jeff

            >I suspect the problem with the Marklin Curved turnout is the same one many have with the other steamers and that is the font pilot comes off the rails when it hits the point of the rail to enter the smaller radius. It is very light and small so no room for any additional weight. As far as my running I have no problem with it on Micro Trains Roadbed track and switches and on Peco track with Wright turnouts and hand laid track and turnouts made using code 40 rail and FastTrack jigs.
            >
            >I have no Marklin track but since 2002 I have worked on the Golden Blackhawk and Central City RR at National shows so I am familiar with the track and that curved turnout can be troublesome for other engines as well when running against the points. If you are patient and gentle you can notch the rail so the point is hidden or set into the rail on the outside of the curved rail and this makes it perform better.
            >
            >cheerz Garth
            >
            >--- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, fredshark@... wrote:
            >>
            >> Garth wrote: I had my D51 at a train show yesterday and it ran for 5 and a half hours straight without a stop at 2.5 volts pulling ten cars never got warm and other than the voltage is too small for the LED to really light up it was quite a hit.
            >>
            >> Garth,
            >>
            >> On the Hobby Search web site, http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10092803, there is the caveat for the D51 that states "Cannot run through a Marklin curve point due to partial difference in scale size." Have you had any difficulty running this locomotive on Marklin, or MTL for that matter, track? Thank you.
            >>
            >> Cheers,
            >>
            >> Jeff Walsh

          • Loren Snyder
            Message 5 of 28 , Feb 5, 2010
              Reynard,
              I just inquired on Train Board and will here also. Do you think some good
              looking shells can be made to fit the chassis? Even scratch built perhaps
              by the masters of tiny?
              Loren

              Message 6 of 28 , Feb 5, 2010
                I am overjoyed that everyone is hesitant to order their D51's, as they are on sale till the 11th of February, so as each version come in stock the next few days, they will be re-priced from 5% off to 20% off for SAL shipping bonus, and I will be snapping them up! I got 7 so far! haha!

                Oh, by the way, they really do look and run beautiful, and that 16 wheel electrical pickup just hands down trumps ALL OTHER Z SCALE LOCOMOTIVES MANUFACTURED TO DATE!

                In fact, this tender electrically wired to a small Marklin steamer (non tank versing please) would make it a super smooth runner, even if you just leave the tender motor free spinning due to the extra 8 wheel electrical pickup tender!

                Just think if you were able to mount the universal joint to an extended motor shaft on the back of the Marklin steamer's motor, and have a dual motored loco!

                -Robert Ray
              • Reynard Wellman
                Message 7 of 28 , Feb 5, 2010

                  On Feb 5, 2010, at 9:45 AM, fredshark@... wrote:

                  > Garth,
                  >
                  > Thank you for the insight. I have to admit that I am a bit
                  > intimated by the scale warning from Hobby Search. However, I am
                  > using MTL track on my layout as well. So a personal examination and
                  > trail is in order! Thanks again.
                  >
                  > Cheers,
                  >
                  > Jeff

                • Arnim v. Herff
                  Message 8 of 28 , Feb 5, 2010
                    Am Samstag, 6. Februar 2010 02:16:52 schrieb Reynard Wellman:
                    > 1] There is a difference in Gauge:
                    > D51 = .243", (6,17 mm)
                    > Marklin Mikado = .249" (6,32 mm).

                    > Overall, a very likable little steamer. Looks like it belongs more
                    > in the 1/240 scale realm of choo-choos though and that might be
                    > an odd place to aim for. We'll see after the operations tests.

                    Hello Reynard.

                    The gauge of our favorite "Yellow Steamer" *must* be wrong, as the prototype
                    rolls on "Cape-gauge" (1067mm). (An American loco by Märklin isn't a model
                    but a toy...) In Z scale it should be 4,85mm... So in our standard-gauge-eyes
                    a correct scaled narrow-gauge engine looks too small. Especially if
                    proportions between body and wheel-gauge are definitely wrong. I don't own
                    the model, but maybe you are so kind and measure the length. The prototype is
                    19730mm long (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JNR_Class_D51) and has a diameter
                    of driving-wheels of 1400mm (http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%e5%9b%bd%e9%89%84D51%e5%bd%a2%e8%92%b8%e6%b0%97%e6%a9%9f%e9%96%a2%e8%bb%8a)*.
                    Should be 89,7mm and 6,4mm in Z.

                    Maybe your estimation about 1/240 is the same phenomena, like a correct scaled
                    American Z diesel looks in my European eyes like scale 1/200... ;-)

                    Greetings Arnim

                    * If you doesn't use unicode-fonts, it is possible that this link doesn't
                    work. Than click on the English page at the left frame in the box "languages"
                    the first link - and copy-paste the URL into your favorite
                    translation-service.
                  • Garth
                    Message 9 of 28 , Feb 5, 2010
                      Well I did not go hog wild but I had preordered one of the two and ordered the plain jane version also with some of the card stock buildings so that makes 4 for me.

                      I am sure it would be easy to put another shell on top of this mechanism. Will have to do some research as to what engines had drivers this size and I am sure they are either narrow gauge or industrial not main line steam.

                      As too power an existing Marklin USRA engine with this tender I think it should be a fairly easy conversion. On my Web site www.nn3.ca there are several pictures of early pioneers of Nn3 who used tender mounted motors to power their narrow gauge Colorado engines. The just used the motor shaft from a burned out Marklin motor and mounted a brass block where the motor was with a clearance hole for the old shaft and gear and then connected up to a piano wire drive to the tender.

                      I think my next job is to remove the coupler pocket on the rear truck of the tender and body mount a 905 on the tender for better operating as the knuckle tends to pop up under load as the box was designed for the Rapido coupler which of course has to rise over the other one when coupling.

                      <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AmV4U7ro9Q>

                      The above link shows my D51 moving 19 Japanese Freight cars from Crown on my 2 x 4 show test track oval. The camera is the one in my Ipod so not very sharp video but the best I can do currently.

                      cheerz Garth

                    • dpstripe@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 28 , Feb 5, 2010
                        Reynard,
                        The rapido/arnold couplers that come installed on the loc are compatible
                        with Pro Z. The Knuckle type that are packed in the bottom of the box will
                        couple (by five finger method) to MT, AZL and FT couplers.
                        Dan S.

                        Message 11 of 28 , Feb 5, 2010
                          The knuckle coupler in the D51 box will auto couple with Micro Trains couplers and you can see it happening in the video of the D51 I posted on U-Tube.

                          Message 12 of 28 , Feb 5, 2010
                            Hello Robert,
                            I see that you have already run the D51 and must
                            say that I am very impressed! I did some comparison
                            photos of various Z steam locomotives and must
                            say that the D51 actually does look to be right on scale!
                            http://www.micronart.com/D51_comparison.html

                            Did you say that it has 16 wheel pickups or am I
                            misreading your post ?!!! That will put all other makers
                            of Z locos on notice. That's the kind of engineering our
                            little scale requires because there is not much room
                            for error at these finer dimensions.

                            I will test mine tomorrow for sure! I am prepared to
                            rescind my idea that this loco is not 1/220. Perhaps
                            our run-of-the-mill locos are the ones a little out of whack!
                            This product may very well raise the quality standards and
                            expectations that we deserve.

                            Thanks for your note,
                            Reynard
                            http://www.micronart.com
                            On Feb 5, 2010, at 4:26 PM, pray59_3 wrote:

                            > I am overjoyed that everyone is hesitant to order their D51's, as
                            > they are on sale till the 11th of February, so as each version come
                            > in stock the next few days, they will be re-priced from 5% off to
                            > 20% off for SAL shipping bonus, and I will be snapping them up! I
                            > got 7 so far! haha!
                            >
                            > Oh, by the way, they really do look and run beautiful, and that 16
                            > wheel electrical pickup just hands down trumps ALL OTHER Z SCALE
                            > LOCOMOTIVES MANUFACTURED TO DATE!
                            >
                            > In fact, this tender electrically wired to a small Marklin steamer
                            > (non tank versing please) would make it a super smooth runner, even
                            > if you just leave the tender motor free spinning due to the extra 8
                            > wheel electrical pickup tender!
                            >
                            > Just think if you were able to mount the universal joint to an
                            > extended motor shaft on the back of the Marklin steamer's motor,
                            > and have a dual motored loco!
                            >
                            > -Robert Ray

                          • Loren Snyder
                            Message 13 of 28 , Feb 5, 2010
                              Robert,
                              Just how many do you plan to purchase and more importantly........why?
                              Just curious.
                              Loren

                              Message 14 of 28 , Feb 5, 2010
                                Hello Arnim,
                                Yes, you are correct. The Tenshodo D51 does
                                scale closely to the dimensions cited on
                                the Wikipedia page. The length of engine with the tender is
                                approx 3.58" to 3.62" (20 M if 1/1).
                                Wheel diameter is approx .25" (1M 40cm if 1/1).

                                However, without a $10,000 comparator it's almost
                                impossible to say exactly. So it looks like most of
                                our Z scale stuff is slightly larger in all directions
                                than represented. But whose splitting hairs and counting
                                rivets?

                                This has been fun. I can't wait to run this puppy!

                                warm regardZ,
                                Reynard
                                http://www.micronart.com
                                On Feb 5, 2010, at 5:20 PM, Arnim v. Herff wrote:

                                > Am Samstag, 6. Februar 2010 02:16:52 schrieb Reynard Wellman:
                                > > 1] There is a difference in Gauge:
                                > > D51 = .243", (6,17 mm)
                                > > Marklin Mikado = .249" (6,32 mm).
                                >
                                > > Overall, a very likable little steamer. Looks like it belongs more
                                > > in the 1/240 scale realm of choo-choos though and that might be
                                > > an odd place to aim for. We'll see after the operations tests.
                                >
                                > Hello Reynard.
                                >
                                > The gauge of our favorite "Yellow Steamer" *must* be wrong, as the
                                > prototype
                                > rolls on "Cape-gauge" (1067mm). (An American loco by Märklin isn't
                                > a model
                                > but a toy...) In Z scale it should be 4,85mm... So in our standard-
                                > gauge-eyes
                                > a correct scaled narrow-gauge engine looks too small. Especially if
                                > proportions between body and wheel-gauge are definitely wrong. I
                                > don't own
                                > the model, but maybe you are so kind and measure the length. The
                                > prototype is
                                > 19730mm long (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JNR_Class_D51) and has a
                                > diameter
                                > of driving-wheels of 1400mm (http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%e5%9b%bd%e9%89%84D51
                                > 形蒸気機関車)*.
                                > Should be 89,7mm and 6,4mm in Z.
                                >
                                > Maybe your estimation about 1/240 is the same phenomena, like a
                                > correct scaled
                                > American Z diesel looks in my European eyes like scale 1/200... ;-)
                                >
                                > Greetings Arnim
                                >
                                > * If you doesn't use unicode-fonts, it is possible that this link
                                > doesn't
                                > work. Than click on the English page at the left frame in the box
                                > "languages"
                                > the first link - and copy-paste the URL into your favorite
                                > translation-service.

                              • David K. Smith
                                Message 15 of 28 , Feb 6, 2010
                                  Reynard, I can confirm it has 16-wheel pickup. The drivers all pick up through a pair of thin contact strips embedded in the plastic frame. The tender wheels follow pin-and-cup Kato style trucks, with contact strips embedded in the underframe. The mechanism design is ingenious, and is well suited for bashing into American and other locomotives, although the drivers are of an unusual style. Flanges are fine (2/3 of Marklin's), and there are even brake shoes between the drivers. I could easily envision two of them used to make an articulated, for example. I could see the mechanism chopped down to make an X-6-X as well.

                                  --David
                                  http://jamesriverbranch.net/
                                  http://pinecreekrailroad.net/
                                  http://1-220.blogspot.com/

                                  > Hello Robert,
                                  > I see that you have already run the D51 and must
                                  > say that I am very impressed! I did some comparison
                                  > photos of various Z steam locomotives and must
                                  > say that the D51 actually does look to be right on scale!
                                  > http://www.micronart.com/D51_comparison.html
                                  >
                                  > Did you say that it has 16 wheel pickups or am I
                                  > misreading your post ?!!! That will put all other makers
                                  > of Z locos on notice. That's the kind of engineering our
                                  > little scale requires because there is not much room
                                  > for error at these finer dimensions.
                                  >
                                  > I will test mine tomorrow for sure! I am prepared to
                                  > rescind my idea that this loco is not 1/220. Perhaps
                                  > our run-of-the-mill locos are the ones a little out of whack!
                                  > This product may very well raise the quality standards and
                                  > expectations that we deserve.
                                  >
                                  > Thanks for your note,
                                  > Reynard
                                  > http://www.micronart.com
                                  > On Feb 5, 2010, at 4:26 PM, pray59_3 wrote:
                                  >
                                  > > I am overjoyed that everyone is hesitant to order their D51's, as
                                  > > they are on sale till the 11th of February, so as each version come
                                  > > in stock the next few days, they will be re-priced from 5% off to
                                  > > 20% off for SAL shipping bonus, and I will be snapping them up! I
                                  > > got 7 so far! haha!
                                  > >
                                  > > Oh, by the way, they really do look and run beautiful, and that 16
                                  > > wheel electrical pickup just hands down trumps ALL OTHER Z SCALE
                                  > > LOCOMOTIVES MANUFACTURED TO DATE!
                                  > >
                                  > > In fact, this tender electrically wired to a small Marklin steamer
                                  > > (non tank versing please) would make it a super smooth runner, even
                                  > > if you just leave the tender motor free spinning due to the extra 8
                                  > > wheel electrical pickup tender!
                                  > >
                                  > > Just think if you were able to mount the universal joint to an
                                  > > extended motor shaft on the back of the Marklin steamer's motor,
                                  > > and have a dual motored loco!
                                  > >
                                  > > -Robert Ray

                                • Loren Snyder
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Feb 6, 2010
                                    Reynard,

                                    This loco does sound wonderful in comparison to many others, however one
                                    statement you made will surely come back to haunt steam lovers if
                                    manufacturers take your suggestion below seriously.

                                    Don't get me wrong, I whole heartedly agree with you that steam lovers need
                                    to make their wishes known regarding quality.
                                    I'd suggest that almost anything is a possibility when it comes to
                                    manufacturing, however, to design a beautifully running, realistic looking
                                    steam loco here in the USA would end up costing much more than I think most
                                    folks would be willing or able to pay for.

                                    Shucks, I'll bet that many would gladly take on the project if they had the
                                    money and expertise to make such a loco and could be assured they would
                                    recoup their R&D costs when sales of said product commenced.

                                    Now, if we were all rich, then money would be no object of concern......

                                    Loren

                                    Message 17 of 28 , Feb 6, 2010
                                      Loren, I think the solution here is to encourage Tenshodo to consider American prototype steam. Perhaps if we could collectively demonstrate enough interest in it, they may be open to suggestions. Just a thought...

                                      --David
                                      http://jamesriverbranch.net/
                                      http://pinecreekrailroad.net/
                                      http://1-220.blogspot.com/

                                      > Reynard,
                                      >
                                      > This loco does sound wonderful in comparison to many others, however one
                                      > statement you made will surely come back to haunt steam lovers if
                                      > manufacturers take your suggestion below seriously.
                                      >
                                      > Don't get me wrong, I whole heartedly agree with you that steam lovers need
                                      > to make their wishes known regarding quality.
                                      > I'd suggest that almost anything is a possibility when it comes to
                                      > manufacturing, however, to design a beautifully running, realistic looking
                                      > steam loco here in the USA would end up costing much more than I think most
                                      > folks would be willing or able to pay for.
                                      >
                                      > Shucks, I'll bet that many would gladly take on the project if they had the
                                      > money and expertise to make such a loco and could be assured they would
                                      > recoup their R&D costs when sales of said product commenced.
                                      >
                                      > Now, if we were all rich, then money would be no object of concern......
                                      >
                                      > Loren

                                    • Reynard Wellman
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Feb 6, 2010
                                        Hi David,
                                        I put my D51 thru its paces this morning, across turnouts
                                        thrown and un-thrown, backwards and forwards, at fast
                                        speeds and at slow speeds. Have not hauled any equipment
                                        yet because mine came with the Arnold style coupler mounted
                                        (though they do provide the awkward AZL type couplers in a
                                        plastic bag). I prefer the MTL couplers for all my rolling stock,
                                        so I'll be mounting those to the D51 when time allows.

                                        The only hiccups occur amidst the MTL turnout frogs which,
                                        incidentally, is a constant problem for all brands of steam
                                        locos in these turnouts. But the D51 simply blinks slightly and
                                        continues on as if nothing had happened. Amazing and
                                        consistent performance from a new locomotive! I attribute this
                                        fine performance to the 16 electrical pickups incorporated in
                                        the design of this product. Flange depth is perfect. Not only
                                        is this loco gauged correctly, it has a realistic driver appearance
                                        that makes the Marklin Mikado look toyish (though I still
                                        love my toyz!)

                                        I was also delighted to find the loco lighted. It seems that none
                                        of the other Z steam manufacturers seem to bother with
                                        illuminating a "top-of-boiler" mounted headlamp which back
                                        in the old days of HO scale was accomplished by simply
                                        providing a piece of lumunite plastic up into the projected fixture
                                        while the grain-of-wheat bulb was buried down in the boiler.
                                        Tenshodo had the good sense to go ahead with this feature
                                        nicety. Kudos again for Tenshodo!

                                        On Feb 6, 2010, at 12:10 AM, David K. Smith wrote:

                                        > Reynard, I can confirm it has 16-wheel pickup. The drivers all pick
                                        > up through a pair of thin contact strips embedded in the plastic
                                        > frame. The tender wheels follow pin-and-cup Kato style trucks, with
                                        > contact strips embedded in the underframe. The mechanism design is
                                        > ingenious, and is well suited for bashing into American and other
                                        > locomotives, although the drivers are of an unusual style. Flanges
                                        > are fine (2/3 of Marklin's), and there are even brake shoes between
                                        > the drivers. I could easily envision two of them used to make an
                                        > articulated, for example. I could see the mechanism chopped down to
                                        > make an X-6-X as well.
                                        >
                                        > --David
                                        > http://jamesriverbranch.net/
                                        > http://pinecreekrailroad.net/
                                        > http://1-220.blogspot.com/
                                        >
                                        > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Reynard Wellman <micron@...> wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > Hello Robert,
                                        > > I see that you have already run the D51 and must
                                        > > say that I am very impressed! I did some comparison
                                        > > photos of various Z steam locomotives and must
                                        > > say that the D51 actually does look to be right on scale!
                                        > > http://www.micronart.com/D51_comparison.html
                                        > >
                                        > > Did you say that it has 16 wheel pickups or am I
                                        > > misreading your post ?!!! That will put all other makers
                                        > > of Z locos on notice. That's the kind of engineering our
                                        > > little scale requires because there is not much room
                                        > > for error at these finer dimensions.
                                        > >
                                        > > I will test mine tomorrow for sure! I am prepared to
                                        > > rescind my idea that this loco is not 1/220. Perhaps
                                        > > our run-of-the-mill locos are the ones a little out of whack!
                                        > > This product may very well raise the quality standards and
                                        > > expectations that we deserve.
                                        > >
                                        > > Thanks for your note,
                                        > > Reynard
                                        > > http://www.micronart.com
                                        > > On Feb 5, 2010, at 4:26 PM, pray59_3 wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > > I am overjoyed that everyone is hesitant to order their D51's, as
                                        > > > they are on sale till the 11th of February, so as each version
                                        > come
                                        > > > in stock the next few days, they will be re-priced from 5% off to
                                        > > > 20% off for SAL shipping bonus, and I will be snapping them up! I
                                        > > > got 7 so far! haha!
                                        > > >
                                        > > > Oh, by the way, they really do look and run beautiful, and that 16
                                        > > > wheel electrical pickup just hands down trumps ALL OTHER Z SCALE
                                        > > > LOCOMOTIVES MANUFACTURED TO DATE!
                                        > > >
                                        > > > In fact, this tender electrically wired to a small Marklin steamer
                                        > > > (non tank versing please) would make it a super smooth runner,
                                        > even
                                        > > > if you just leave the tender motor free spinning due to the
                                        > extra 8
                                        > > > wheel electrical pickup tender!
                                        > > >
                                        > > > Just think if you were able to mount the universal joint to an
                                        > > > extended motor shaft on the back of the Marklin steamer's motor,
                                        > > > and have a dual motored loco!
                                        > > >
                                        > > > -Robert Ray

                                      • socalz44
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Feb 6, 2010
                                          Well it is raining here in San Diego today, stuff is drying on the Northern Division so here are my two cents worth. First, I will agree with everyone that this loco and it's coming varients are beauties and run well. Second, the problem I have is that they are just too small. They are going to look out of place on a North American layout. I suppose this is ok for kitbashers. But to invest money in locos that are "out of scale" here in NA is not money well spent in my opinion. Third, as mentioned before this can be a wake up call for NA style manufacturers to enter the fray. Don't hold your breath for that. Lastly, if and when Tenshodo realises through these purchases from NA of a Japanese loco that there would and should be a market for a reliable NA products here then maybe they will fill the void in our hobby. I feel Tenshodo is the best bet. Cheers, Jim CCRR

                                          > Hi Loren,
                                          > As in horse racing, the old saw "competition improves
                                          > the breed" should be applied to our Z manufacturing
                                          > undertakings. Yes, price is a big, big factor when folks
                                          > are considering an item. But the value of "quality" eventually
                                          > enters into the equation. For instance, if you've bought yourself
                                          > a nice cheap chair that one day busted out from under
                                          > you (thus your hip got bruised) , you'll most likely never
                                          > to buy a cheap chair like that again. Believe me there is
                                          > some awful furniture out there!
                                          >
                                          > Doing the research and engineering, obtaining the right
                                          > kind of tooling and using the talents of smart employees
                                          > will always make for a positive ROI (return on investment)
                                          > not only for the maker, but for the customer as well.
                                          >
                                          > I am so pleased that we now have an example in
                                          > Z scale of a well made, cost effective STEAM locomotive
                                          > with this new Tenshodo D51 Mikado.
                                          >
                                          > warm regardZ,
                                          > Reynard
                                          > http://www.micronart.com
                                          >
                                          > On Feb 6, 2010, at 9:30 AM, David K. Smith wrote:
                                          >
                                          > > Loren, I think the solution here is to encourage Tenshodo to
                                          > > consider American prototype steam. Perhaps if we could collectively
                                          > > demonstrate enough interest in it, they may be open to suggestions.
                                          > > Just a thought...
                                          > >
                                          > > --David
                                          > > http://jamesriverbranch.net/
                                          > > http://pinecreekrailroad.net/
                                          > > http://1-220.blogspot.com/
                                          > >
                                          > > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Loren Snyder" <ljsnyder@> wrote:
                                          > > >
                                          > > > Reynard,
                                          > > >
                                          > > > This loco does sound wonderful in comparison to many others,
                                          > > however one
                                          > > > statement you made will surely come back to haunt steam lovers if
                                          > > > manufacturers take your suggestion below seriously.
                                          > > >
                                          > > > Don't get me wrong, I whole heartedly agree with you that steam
                                          > > lovers need
                                          > > > to make their wishes known regarding quality.
                                          > > > I'd suggest that almost anything is a possibility when it comes to
                                          > > > manufacturing, however, to design a beautifully running,
                                          > > realistic looking
                                          > > > steam loco here in the USA would end up costing much more than I
                                          > > think most
                                          > > > folks would be willing or able to pay for.
                                          > > >
                                          > > > Shucks, I'll bet that many would gladly take on the project if
                                          > > they had the
                                          > > > money and expertise to make such a loco and could be assured they
                                          > > would
                                          > > > recoup their R&D costs when sales of said product commenced.
                                          > > >
                                          > > > Now, if we were all rich, then money would be no object of
                                          > > concern......
                                          > > >
                                          > > > Loren

                                        • Reynard Wellman
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Feb 6, 2010
                                            Hi Loren,
                                            As in horse racing, the old saw "competition improves
                                            the breed" should be applied to our Z manufacturing
                                            undertakings. Yes, price is a big, big factor when folks
                                            are considering an item. But the value of "quality" eventually
                                            enters into the equation. For instance, if you've bought yourself
                                            a nice cheap chair that one day busted out from under
                                            you (thus your hip got bruised) , you'll most likely never
                                            to buy a cheap chair like that again. Believe me there is
                                            some awful furniture out there!

                                            Doing the research and engineering, obtaining the right
                                            kind of tooling and using the talents of smart employees
                                            will always make for a positive ROI (return on investment)
                                            not only for the maker, but for the customer as well.

                                            I am so pleased that we now have an example in
                                            Z scale of a well made, cost effective STEAM locomotive
                                            with this new Tenshodo D51 Mikado.

                                            warm regardZ,
                                            Reynard
                                            http://www.micronart.com

                                            On Feb 6, 2010, at 9:30 AM, David K. Smith wrote:

                                            > Loren, I think the solution here is to encourage Tenshodo to
                                            > consider American prototype steam. Perhaps if we could collectively
                                            > demonstrate enough interest in it, they may be open to suggestions.
                                            > Just a thought...
                                            >
                                            > --David
                                            > http://jamesriverbranch.net/
                                            > http://pinecreekrailroad.net/
                                            > http://1-220.blogspot.com/
                                            >
                                            > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Loren Snyder" <ljsnyder@...> wrote:
                                            > >
                                            > > Reynard,
                                            > >
                                            > > This loco does sound wonderful in comparison to many others,
                                            > however one
                                            > > statement you made will surely come back to haunt steam lovers if
                                            > > manufacturers take your suggestion below seriously.
                                            > >
                                            > > Don't get me wrong, I whole heartedly agree with you that steam
                                            > lovers need
                                            > > to make their wishes known regarding quality.
                                            > > I'd suggest that almost anything is a possibility when it comes to
                                            > > manufacturing, however, to design a beautifully running,
                                            > realistic looking
                                            > > steam loco here in the USA would end up costing much more than I
                                            > think most
                                            > > folks would be willing or able to pay for.
                                            > >
                                            > > Shucks, I'll bet that many would gladly take on the project if
                                            > they had the
                                            > > money and expertise to make such a loco and could be assured they
                                            > would
                                            > > recoup their R&D costs when sales of said product commenced.
                                            > >
                                            > > Now, if we were all rich, then money would be no object of
                                            > concern......
                                            > >
                                            > > Loren

                                          • Garth
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Feb 6, 2010
                                              It would be interesting to see just how many pieces Tenshodo made in the 8 variations of the Z-scale Mikado.

                                              Tenshodo has been making models in various scales for years going back further than WWII. They were the superior brand in the 80's for No. American brass engines. As for R&D that is one place where they have already done it. This engine has been previously produced in 3 scales that I know of by Tenshodo in Brass in Japan. They may even have a vast resource of R&D from their HO and O gauge North American production days.

                                              I think it is this vast resource of engineering data they have amassed long before these engines died coupled with a good Chinese partner that have made this Z-Scale D51 possible at the price it is being offered at. If you are not familiar with the Japanese N-scale Market this engine came out at about the same price break as Kato and Micro Ace steam engines have been selling for in Japan for several years.

                                              I do not know how many are produced in a run but I know that with few exceptions they do not last for really long periods of time on the shelves of the hobby stores in Japan. In many cases the really popular releases reappear again after a few years.

                                              It was interesting to note that when I tallied up the total production of the various Steam Engines types produced just by Micro Ace in Japan since the late 1990's to the present, that it exceeds the total number of models produced for whole North American Market since the start of N-scale with Treble O in England in the late 1960's.

                                              cheerz Garth

                                              > Reynard,
                                              >
                                              > This loco does sound wonderful in comparison to many others, however one
                                              > statement you made will surely come back to haunt steam lovers if
                                              > manufacturers take your suggestion below seriously.
                                              >
                                              > Don't get me wrong, I whole heartedly agree with you that steam lovers need
                                              > to make their wishes known regarding quality.
                                              > I'd suggest that almost anything is a possibility when it comes to
                                              > manufacturing, however, to design a beautifully running, realistic looking
                                              > steam loco here in the USA would end up costing much more than I think most
                                              > folks would be willing or able to pay for.
                                              >
                                              > Shucks, I'll bet that many would gladly take on the project if they had the
                                              > money and expertise to make such a loco and could be assured they would
                                              > recoup their R&D costs when sales of said product commenced.
                                              >
                                              > Now, if we were all rich, then money would be no object of concern......
                                              >
                                              > Loren

                                            • David K. Smith
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Feb 6, 2010
                                                Jim, I don't agree that they look "out of scale" on a North American layout; they look more out of place due to being a Japanese prototype than due to their size. Using them on a North American layout will absolutely require some kind of adaptation. There were many smaller, light American steamers for which this model could serve as a beginning. For example, leave off the leading and trailing trucks, and you've got a great start for a USRA 0-8-0. Likely the hardest parts to adapt may be the drivers, but I think Robert Ray has a simple solution for that.

                                                I will be very anxious to see what some adventurous bashers will be doing with this little gem. I know I've got some ideas already, but I'm not ready to spill the beans just yet.

                                                --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "socalz44" <jimo.crcmnvgtr@...> wrote:

                                                > Well it is raining here in San Diego today, stuff is drying on the Northern Division so here are my two cents worth. First, I will agree with everyone that this loco and it's coming varients are beauties and run well. Second, the problem I have is that they are just too small. They are going to look out of place on a North American layout. I suppose this is ok for kitbashers. But to invest money in locos that are "out of scale" here in NA is not money well spent in my opinion. Third, as mentioned before this can be a wake up call for NA style manufacturers to enter the fray. Don't hold your breath for that. Lastly, if and when Tenshodo realises through these purchases from NA of a Japanese loco that there would and should be a market for a reliable NA products here then maybe they will fill the void in our hobby. I feel Tenshodo is the best bet. Cheers, Jim CCRR
                                                >
                                                > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Reynard Wellman <micron@> wrote:
                                                > >
                                                > > Hi Loren,
                                                > > As in horse racing, the old saw "competition improves
                                                > > the breed" should be applied to our Z manufacturing
                                                > > undertakings. Yes, price is a big, big factor when folks
                                                > > are considering an item. But the value of "quality" eventually
                                                > > enters into the equation. For instance, if you've bought yourself
                                                > > a nice cheap chair that one day busted out from under
                                                > > you (thus your hip got bruised) , you'll most likely never
                                                > > to buy a cheap chair like that again. Believe me there is
                                                > > some awful furniture out there!
                                                > >
                                                > > Doing the research and engineering, obtaining the right
                                                > > kind of tooling and using the talents of smart employees
                                                > > will always make for a positive ROI (return on investment)
                                                > > not only for the maker, but for the customer as well.
                                                > >
                                                > > I am so pleased that we now have an example in
                                                > > Z scale of a well made, cost effective STEAM locomotive
                                                > > with this new Tenshodo D51 Mikado.
                                                > >
                                                > > warm regardZ,
                                                > > Reynard
                                                > > http://www.micronart.com
                                                > >
                                                > > On Feb 6, 2010, at 9:30 AM, David K. Smith wrote:
                                                > >
                                                > > > Loren, I think the solution here is to encourage Tenshodo to
                                                > > > consider American prototype steam. Perhaps if we could collectively
                                                > > > demonstrate enough interest in it, they may be open to suggestions.
                                                > > > Just a thought...
                                                > > >
                                                > > > --David
                                                > > > http://jamesriverbranch.net/
                                                > > > http://pinecreekrailroad.net/
                                                > > > http://1-220.blogspot.com/

                                                > > > however one

                                                > > > lovers need
                                                > > > realistic looking
                                                > > > think most

                                                > > > they had the
                                                > > > would

                                                > > > concern......

                                              • Karin E. Snyder
                                                Message 23 of 28 , Feb 6, 2010
                                                  Just got mine today and have posted comparison photos on both Trainboard and Z Central.

                                                • Loren Snyder
                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Feb 6, 2010
                                                    David,
                                                    I totally agree. I don't care who makes it............just make it right
                                                    and for the right price, and we'll buy it.
                                                    Loren

                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Feb 6, 2010
                                                      Reynard,
                                                      I told my wife I thought they were butt ugly, (I'm so very prejudiced toward
                                                      NA steam), but I applaud the working mechanism. Pure beauty.

                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Feb 6, 2010
                                                        Jim,

                                                        I'll put my money on the same color. I do hope Tenshodo says, "Ah so......
                                                        ..let's make NA steam" They would sell a lot for sure.
                                                        Loren

                                                        Message 27 of 28 , Feb 6, 2010
                                                          Hi Garth,
                                                          Thank you for providing us some history behind this manufacturers
                                                          credentials. It does reflect the kind of R & D that must go on before
                                                          stamping out thousands of units. As for scale; it is as accurate
                                                          as anything out there from other Z manufacturers. I took
                                                          D51 measurements yesterday and they do hold up to the published
                                                          dimensions. Good news all around and hopefully Tenshodo
                                                          will dive into the North American (US, Canada, Mexico) market
                                                          drawing from their well of experience to make good steamers
                                                          for all Z scalers.

                                                          regardZ,
                                                          Reynard
                                                          On Feb 6, 2010, at 12:02 PM, Garth wrote:

                                                          > It would be interesting to see just how many pieces Tenshodo made
                                                          > in the 8 variations of the Z-scale Mikado.
                                                          >
                                                          > Tenshodo has been making models in various scales for years going
                                                          > back further than WWII. They were the superior brand in the 80's
                                                          > for No. American brass engines. As for R&D that is one place where
                                                          > they have already done it. This engine has been previously produced
                                                          > in 3 scales that I know of by Tenshodo in Brass in Japan. They may
                                                          > even have a vast resource of R&D from their HO and O gauge North
                                                          > American production days.
                                                          >
                                                          > I think it is this vast resource of engineering data they have
                                                          > amassed long before these engines died coupled with a good Chinese
                                                          > partner that have made this Z-Scale D51 possible at the price it is
                                                          > being offered at. If you are not familiar with the Japanese N-scale
                                                          > Market this engine came out at about the same price break as Kato
                                                          > and Micro Ace steam engines have been selling for in Japan for
                                                          > several years.
                                                          >
                                                          > I do not know how many are produced in a run but I know that with
                                                          > few exceptions they do not last for really long periods of time on
                                                          > the shelves of the hobby stores in Japan. In many cases the really
                                                          > popular releases reappear again after a few years.
                                                          >
                                                          > It was interesting to note that when I tallied up the total
                                                          > production of the various Steam Engines types produced just by
                                                          > Micro Ace in Japan since the late 1990's to the present, that it
                                                          > exceeds the total number of models produced for whole North
                                                          > American Market since the start of N-scale with Treble O in England
                                                          > in the late 1960's.
                                                          >
                                                          > cheerz Garth
                                                          > EDITED

                                                        • Garth
                                                          Message 28 of 28 , Feb 6, 2010
                                                            Hi Reynard;

                                                            Well I do not think this engine is going to lead us to more steam for No. AM. in Z but it could in the future. For instance a C57 or C62 done in 1:200 for Z would be right for a Pacific in Z for us at 1:220 and the other engine is a Hudson wheel arrangement and the same holds true for it. The Hudsons however have very different wheel centers than we are used to seeing in No. Am. but some of the C57 look right for a No. Am. Pacific. I have used the 1:150 Japanese Pacific's to make some very nice operating No. Am. Pacific for my Athabaska Northern. If this D51 had been scaled at 1:200 it would have fit into some of the lighter No. Am. Mikado's and 2-8-0's very nicely.

                                                            It will be interesting to find out just how many of these Japanese D51's in Z are being produced and just how well they sell. The Japanese market has been buying the Z but there is still a lot of the earlier stuff around and two manufacturers have already pulled out of the market without producing much of what they promised. Pro-Z as scaled way back on what they proposed to offer in Z initially. There modular layouts are quite easy to find still in good supply and so we have not seen any of the buildings appear as separate offerings. They had a good spread of stuff a year ago and none of it has made the market yet. It has taken a full year to get the first of the track only starter sets announced and they are not delivered yet. The switch that was to have appeared on their curved diorama piece never appeared, but they finally got the straight track sections out along with an addition power pack feed cord so those with the dioramas could configure them to a double track main from the folded figure 8 of the original. The sad part about the diorama's is the D51 won't run on it as the radii are all smaller than 195mm as they are 170mm and 145mm. While their stuff runs well on the diorama all the other manufacturers have set 195mm as the minimum radius. I understand Crown or PRMLoco will take over production of the RealZJ track system that is very similar to Micro Trains roadbed track as well as the very nice power pack. None of the passenger cars promised by Crown or RealZJ and Terranetz have ever come to market and Terranetz put out the one set when RealZj quit introducing new material and noting since that and then 6 months ago they announced that they were not continuing in the scale. So it has not been all roses with Z in Japan.

                                                            I believe the first Electric produced for RealZJ was actually done by Tenshodo as they sold 2 colour variations of it under their own banner and 2 other variations were sold by RealZJ so the D51 is not their first Z scale issue.

                                                            There is certainly interest in Z in Japan and the Micro Trains Lineup is readily available in a couple of places as is Marklin. Currently Sankei, a card stock building kit manufacturer is the only one producing buildings in Z-scale some Japanese and some American. They have a water tower and coaling kit currently available among about a dozen other offerings.

                                                            I have been involved with Japanese profile steam in N-scale and trollys since about 1978. So that is my background for interest and why I sort have the beat covered so to say. That is how I ran into it when Z first hit the street in Japan.

                                                            I have created several Japanese Engines before they were introduced in Z using static models modified to fit on a Marklin or Micro Trains Chassis. EF58 ED78, C58 and D51 all at 1:200. I also have passenger cars that were originally released as M gauge 1:200 as a battery operated toy on plastic track that was just a ditch in a piece of plastic made to look like rail from Takahara before they joined with Tomix (Tomy the parent of both now and know as Takahara-Tomy) I took off the toy trucks and added Micro Trains 4 wheel passenger trucks and 905 couplers and voila a Japanese electric passenger train with EF58 front end power using a Marlin GG1 chassis with added weight.

                                                            You can see most of this stuff on www.nn3.ca on the Japanese Z Pages. I did all this at the same time I powered the Hallmark Freedom PA's and converted the trucks on the cars to use 36 inch wheels and 905 couplers and acetate axle end inserts from Robert Ray. Created a baggage car and sides for a coach and dinner. Tried to create a metal insert for the truck frame to use metal wheels and axles to get a smoother running 3 axle passenger truck in Z scale but I did not get all the art work quite right so it did not work quite as nicely as I had hoped. Might do better now with a better source of metal wheels.

                                                            Up here in the backwoods north of the border we are constantly building something or other.

                                                            cheerz Garth