HP Printer- it's coming...

  • milepost 131
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 22, 2010
      > First off there is an HP 3D printer coming to an HP retailer near you soon. I haven't seen any details yet but I'm interested in what level of detail it will provide. Saw it mentioned in a tech forum the other day.

      Only stuff I can find reference to is the FDM 3D print deal between HP

      and Stratasys aimed at the 3D MCAD market so probably going to be a bit

      more than $700
      I don't think I ever suggested it is going to be cheap - (like the throwaway inkjets).
      I've tried a few systems in the past. I will state that something like the (current) Zcorp printer is not going to make folks excited (even if the company name sounds like it would be Z friendly <g>) I wasn't happy with the resolution of it even with an HO model.
      Something like the Perfectory does a good job- see some of the products that Mark4design.com has done (even Z scale specific products) but the (Perfactory)price is high and so are consumables.
      The HP printer is going to be more expensive than most (model railroad) folks want but service bureaus will probably buy a few and that should lower prices a little and the other guys will have to compete too. Zcorp might have to work on detail and a "Perfactory" might drop a bit in price.  But technology improves and I'm doing stuff today that I couldn't dream about fifty years ago as I read Model Railroader and thought HO was as small as we'd see model railroads. And Rapido was probably already in design mode for N scale!
      Gordon