Re: HP 3D printer

  • ckuttner
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 22, 2010
      At least 10 years ago, I saw this printer, or at least an earlier iteration, at DaVinci Days in Corvallis, OR.

      It was amazing, and I still treasure the intricately detailed "printed" gadget that's now on our mantle. I think the resolution is good enough for Z.

      They were using whatever the standard 3D modeling software of the time was. They were saying there's some fairly standard protocol that such software uses. Not that I know anything more than that. They were talking in terms of one bringing one's file into a local Kinko's and printing on this printer--which was slated to cost $30K or so.

      The method is fascinating: Flat surface has a little sled come over it, laying down and smoothing a very thin layer of dry plaster of paris. Then the inkjets come across, squirting ink where there is to be color and/or structure. Then another layer and so forth. Then you pick up your house or cow or whatever and blow off the loose plaster.

      chas