Loco repaint question

  • Flayrah
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 12, 2010
      Just picked up a loco I wanted years ago and was determined to find this time around. It is a German prototype I will be converting to US-style. But can the red wheels be painted without causing running problems? Should I just mask off the tires and spray the wheels with enamel? How have others done this, and are you happy with the results?
    • David K. Smith
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 12, 2010
        I'd recommend trying Neolube. It's not a paint, but it can be used as one, and it leaves a nice older metal-like finish. It's also conductive, so any stray paint on the tires would not be a problem. Many modelers use this on all of the running gear.

        http://www.p-b-l.com/pbl2002/Neolube2.html

        --David
        http://jamesriverbranch.net/
        http://pinecreekrailroad.net/
        http://1-220.blogspot.com/

        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Flayrah" <flayrah@...> wrote:

        > Just picked up a loco I wanted years ago and was determined to find this time around. It is a German prototype I will be converting to US-style. But can the red wheels be painted without causing running problems? Should I just mask off the tires and spray the wheels with enamel? How have others done this, and are you happy with the results?

      • Garth
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 12, 2010
          In addition to the wheels you need to look at the cylinder block as different from American Engines.

          As for painting the wheel centers. I thin the paint I am using and disconnect the drive rods and then paint the wheels. If you are not familiar with requartering the drivers I do not recommend taking the drivers out of the chassis. Be Careful of the drive rod pins as you pry up on the drive rods to remove them. I usually stick a piece of scotch tape on the end of the pin and to the rod to try and keep them under control.

          cheerz Garth