Figures

  • misszscale
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 8, 2010
      I'm placing figures on my layout. I want to be able to move them around if I decide they'd look better in a different place.

      I've checked out museum/earthquake wax/gel and am not sure enough about it to buy it. I'd rather use a tiny dab of rubber cement but don't know how it will affect the base of the plastic figure.

      Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

      Eileen
    • Karin E. Snyder
      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 8, 2010
        I use white glue to mount mine because all you have to do to remove them is
        to dampen it, and maybe not even that. Another method some of us like is to
        use a small square or circle of clear acetate, aka transparency plastic,
        (about the size of a hole punch circle)and use white glue to afix the feet
        to it. If you don't want the shiny then spray it first with Dullcote. I
        find this very helpful. But on my large amusement park layout, where I
        mounted several hundred Preiser folk I liked the white glue best because it
        dries a dull clear. CA glue is permanent and too shiny for my taste.
        Rubber cement would be too blobbed for close macro pix.

        I'm placing figures on my layout. I want to be able to move them around if
        I decide they'd look better in a different place.

        I've checked out museum/earthquake wax/gel and am not sure enough about it
        to buy it. I'd rather use a tiny dab of rubber cement but don't know how it
        will affect the base of the plastic figure.

        Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

        Eileen

      • Thomas Creighton Sr
        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 8, 2010
          I use clear bathtub caulk, it hold good and if you have to move something it comes  up easy and  remove easy for replacement of fresh caulk to its new location. Tom Creighton Sr.

          ________________________________
          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 8, 2010
            Hi Eileen,

            Go to a store selling crafts items - Michael's, A.C. Moore etc.

            Ask for a wax product florists use - florists' wax or something like that.
            You really don't have to know much about it. Just a small dab on the base of
            a figure will hold it in place - and it's still moveable.

            Ray

          • donfedjur@aol.com
            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 8, 2010
              Glue some tiny Neobendyum magnets to the base of the figures...........use conductive/metalized "magnetic" paint where you place them, move as you wish.

              Don

              Message 6 of 20 , Jan 8, 2010
                Don,
                That won't work - it will mess up all the z-scale computers in the
                office buildings. ;-}

                - Rick Saviano

                donfedjur@... wrote:
                > Glue some tiny Neobendyum magnets to the base of the figures...........use conductive/metalized "magnetic" paint where you place them, move as you wish.
                >

                > Don

              • misszscale
                Message 7 of 20 , Jan 8, 2010
                  LOL! Just what I need... a complete repaint!

                  Eileen

                  --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, donfedjur@... wrote:

                  > Glue some tiny Neobendyum magnets to the base of the figures...........use conductive/metalized "magnetic" paint where you place them, move as you wish.
                  >

                  > Don

                • misszscale
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jan 8, 2010
                    Thanks, Ray. That's a good idea as long as the wax doesn't stain when it is warm. I can try it out on a scrap.

                    Eileen

                    --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Ray Cannon" <racy2@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Eileen,
                    >
                    > Go to a store selling crafts items - Michael's, A.C. Moore etc.
                    >
                    > Ask for a wax product florists use - florists' wax or something like that.
                    > You really don't have to know much about it. Just a small dab on the base of
                    > a figure will hold it in place - and it's still moveable.
                    >
                    > Ray

                  • misszscale
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jan 8, 2010
                      Ah! Like silicone. I'll try it. Thanks!

                      Eileen

                      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Creighton Sr <bigtrain6@...> wrote:

                      > I use clear bathtub caulk, it hold good and if you have to move something it comes  up easy and  remove easy for replacement of fresh caulk to its new location. Tom Creighton Sr.
                      >

                      > ________________________________

                    • misszscale
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jan 8, 2010
                        I saw pics of your amusement park layout. Fabulous! Loved it!

                        Rubber cement can be thinned to the consistency of water. When used that way, if you pass your finger over it you can barely feel it is there.

                        I've used it a lot in graphic design and it lifts off completely with a rubber cement pick-up without a trace. Except it leaves a stain on some papers. And that's the problem. I'm using certain coated papers in some areas.

                        White glue wouldn't work directly on the paper but the clear sticky acetate would be fine. Thanks for the idea.

                        Eileen

                        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Karin E. Snyder" <ladyrejoicer@...> wrote:

                        > I use white glue to mount mine because all you have to do to remove them is
                        > to dampen it, and maybe not even that. Another method some of us like is to
                        > use a small square or circle of clear acetate, aka transparency plastic,
                        > (about the size of a hole punch circle)and use white glue to afix the feet
                        > to it. If you don't want the shiny then spray it first with Dullcote. I
                        > find this very helpful. But on my large amusement park layout, where I
                        > mounted several hundred Preiser folk I liked the white glue best because it
                        > dries a dull clear. CA glue is permanent and too shiny for my taste.
                        > Rubber cement would be too blobbed for close macro pix.

                      • Loren Snyder
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jan 9, 2010
                          Eileen,
                          I have some white sticky wax I use in my dental lab. It works exactly like
                          the florist's wax, only I'll send you some free if you want some.
                          Let me know.
                          Loren

                          Message 12 of 20 , Jan 10, 2010
                            Loren,
                            Is that like museum wax? That stuff is used to hold art objects in place in case of an earthquake.
                            Robert

                            Message 13 of 20 , Jan 10, 2010
                              Don't know. But it sure is sticky. It would sure hold Z scale people in
                              place.

                              Message 14 of 20 , Jan 10, 2010
                                Thanks, Loren. I appreciate your offer. Wax leaves a little faint dark spot on my sidewalks when it is removed. My sidewalks are a paper composition and I would love to spray them with acrylic to seal them but I like the texture and so want to leave them alone.

                                Eileen