Anaheim GTE 2010

  • John Duino
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 3, 2010
      Well, another show is in the books! We had (I believe) 14 modules. Representing at the show were:

      David Lancaster
      Lindley Ruddick
      Gary Hoffman
      Bill Hoshiko
      Lajos Thek
      Don Fedjur
      Dan Tompkins
      David Duino
      myself

      with guest modules by David Barnblatt and Steve Fry (where fore art thou, Steve?) Also several ZoCal members (new and old) dropped by to say HI and, perhaps, get motivated.

      Nice crowd overall.It seemed there were more people on Sunday than Saturday, no doubt due to the nice little article and accompanying video clip in the local OC Register newspaper.

      We had a 30x30 space, which we filled quite well. Trains ran all day both days, all DCC plus some switching 'games' on Lancaster's module. I spent my time building (1 day) and tweaking (1 day) my second crossovers. Lajos had his mobile loc/mechanical repair shop in full swing. Don continued to amaze us with his LED marvels like the ditch lights, yard lights for Dave's intermodal yard, and some cool examples of building lights. Everyone engaged the audience. The reaction to Z keeps getting better and better.

      We also noted how many 'other scalers' who make MULTIPLE trips by to see us, talk to us, and generally drool, but when we ask we hear, "I really like Z but I have too much invested in <name your oversized scale>." To think in terms of business, we have 'em nibbling the bait, now we just need to set the hook, but how? These are folks who come around every show and some have obviously been reading up on our exploits.

      Do we try to get them into Z in general, or into the modules more specifically? Don had one suggestion of building up a supply of basic 2x3/2x4 modules framed, maybe corked, to hand out to those we think are serious enough. Once that is in hand then perhaps they'll follow thru. Thoughts on that? It wouldn't be difficult to build 'em. I just know *I* cannot store them :)

      Next stop: Long Beach WGH Show! (we hope...still don't have confirmation). Several new modules from new and old members are promising to be there. I truly hope they do show!

      John