Passengers in passenger cars?

  • misszscale
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 8, 2009
      Has anyone had any luck putting passengers in passenger cars? Maybe using paper silhouettes? How about crew men in cabooses? Drivers in locomotives?

      They look so empty without the people. I'm going to try it with one of my passenger cars. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

      Eileen
    • sj_baz_man
      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 8, 2009
        Yes, a few have gone insane sticking $100's of Preiser and Merten figures in the some of the cars, in case one sticks there face next to it or the camera. Jus kidding. Some of the "by the 100's" China figures are sitting. Some of the standing ones can be cut off too. Much cheaper too.

        Another option would be to print it and place it about 1/16 or so behind the glass, er, plastic.

        Jeff
        SF Bay Area Z

        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "misszscale" <spangle543@...> wrote:

        > Has anyone had any luck putting passengers in passenger cars? Maybe using paper silhouettes? How about crew men in cabooses? Drivers in locomotives?
        >
        > They look so empty without the people. I'm going to try it with one of my passenger cars. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks!
        >
        > Eileen

      • JohnL
        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 9, 2009
          Mike Scully has been putting people in his GN passenger cars - at least the domes. You might ask him for some tips.

          John

          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "misszscale" <spangle543@...> wrote:

          > Has anyone had any luck putting passengers in passenger cars? Maybe using paper silhouettes? How about crew men in cabooses? Drivers in locomotives?
          >
          > They look so empty without the people. I'm going to try it with one of my passenger cars. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks!
          >
          > Eileen

        • mscully66
          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 9, 2009
            Eileen,

            I did so for my GN dome cars, and posted photos on Z Central Station
            <http://zcentralstation.com/index.php?option=com_joomgallery&Itemid=64&f\
            unc=viewcategory&catid=85> . The domes come off (and snap-fit back on)
            quite easily. The height of the seats in the dome cars isn't to scale,
            so the legs (calves) on Preiser and other manufacturers' figures are too
            long. I fixed that by cutting off their feet.

            If you are talking about putting passengers in the "regular" passenger
            coaches, or in the sleepers, I'd like to know how difficult it is to get
            the shells off, or otherwise how to get passengers inside.

            Mike
            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "misszscale" <spangle543@...> wrote:

            > Has anyone had any luck putting passengers in passenger cars? Maybe
            using paper silhouettes? How about crew men in cabooses? Drivers in
            locomotives?

            > They look so empty without the people. I'm going to try it with one of
            my passenger cars. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

            > Eileen

          • Rick Saviano
            Message 5 of 20 , Dec 9, 2009
              Don't go overboard with the passengers if you're modeling anything
              modern. Remember the lyrics to The City of New Orleans
              by Steve Goodman

              Riding on the City of New Orleans,
              Illinois Central Monday morning rail
              Fifteen cars and fifteen restless riders,
              Three conductors and twenty-five sacks of mail.

              - Rick Saviano

              Message 6 of 20 , Dec 9, 2009
                I don't want to do anything to add to the weight of the car. Just the illusion of some people there. Thanks!

                Eileen

                --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "sj_baz_man" <sjbazman49@...> wrote:

                > Yes, a few have gone insane sticking $100's of Preiser and Merten figures in the some of the cars, in case one sticks there face next to it or the camera. Jus kidding. Some of the "by the 100's" China figures are sitting. Some of the standing ones can be cut off too. Much cheaper too.
                >
                > Another option would be to print it and place it about 1/16 or so behind the glass, er, plastic.
                >
                > Jeff
                > SF Bay Area Z
                >
                > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "misszscale" <spangle543@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Has anyone had any luck putting passengers in passenger cars? Maybe using paper silhouettes? How about crew men in cabooses? Drivers in locomotives?
                > >
                > > They look so empty without the people. I'm going to try it with one of my passenger cars. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks!
                > >
                > > Eileen

              • misszscale
                Message 7 of 20 , Dec 9, 2009
                  Thanks, John. I'll look him up. When the Amtrak Coast Starlight passes near me, I can't see anyone inside because of the windows or reflections. I'm just looking to put some happy people in an old Marklin passenger car.

                  Eileen

                  --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "JohnL" <jlundy46@...> wrote:

                  > Mike Scully has been putting people in his GN passenger cars - at least the domes. You might ask him for some tips.
                  >
                  > John
                  >
                  > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "misszscale" <spangle543@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Has anyone had any luck putting passengers in passenger cars? Maybe using paper silhouettes? How about crew men in cabooses? Drivers in locomotives?
                  > >
                  > > They look so empty without the people. I'm going to try it with one of my passenger cars. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks!
                  > >
                  > > Eileen

                • David K. Smith
                  Message 8 of 20 , Dec 9, 2009
                    You could put a person in every seat, and the weight of the car would barely be affected.

                    --David
                    http://jamesriverbranch.net/
                    http://1-220.blogspot.com/

                    --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "misszscale" <spangle543@...> wrote:

                    > I don't want to do anything to add to the weight of the car. Just the illusion of some people there. Thanks!
                    >
                    > Eileen
                    >
                    > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "sj_baz_man" <sjbazman49@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Yes, a few have gone insane sticking $100's of Preiser and Merten figures in the some of the cars, in case one sticks there face next to it or the camera. Jus kidding. Some of the "by the 100's" China figures are sitting. Some of the standing ones can be cut off too. Much cheaper too.
                    > >
                    > > Another option would be to print it and place it about 1/16 or so behind the glass, er, plastic.
                    > >
                    > > Jeff
                    > > SF Bay Area Z

                  • misszscale
                    Message 9 of 20 , Dec 9, 2009
                      Mike,

                      Thanks for all the info. I'm set up to try and I'll let you now how it goes. I looked at your photos. That's a great idea for passengers. You should have had a pic of me. When I came to the USA, I came across the country on the Empire Builder. :o)

                      Eileen

                      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "mscully66" <mscully66@...> wrote:

                      > Eileen,
                      >
                      > I did so for my GN dome cars, and posted photos on Z Central Station
                      > <http://zcentralstation.com/index.php?option=com_joomgallery&Itemid=64&f\
                      > unc=viewcategory&catid=85> . The domes come off (and snap-fit back on)
                      > quite easily. The height of the seats in the dome cars isn't to scale,
                      > so the legs (calves) on Preiser and other manufacturers' figures are too
                      > long. I fixed that by cutting off their feet.
                      >
                      > If you are talking about putting passengers in the "regular" passenger
                      > coaches, or in the sleepers, I'd like to know how difficult it is to get
                      > the shells off, or otherwise how to get passengers inside.
                      >
                      > Mike
                      > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "misszscale" <spangle543@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Has anyone had any luck putting passengers in passenger cars? Maybe
                      > using paper silhouettes? How about crew men in cabooses? Drivers in
                      > locomotives?
                      > >
                      > > They look so empty without the people. I'm going to try it with one of
                      > my passenger cars. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks!
                      > >
                      > > Eileen

                    • socalz44
                      Message 10 of 20 , Dec 9, 2009
                        Eileen, I just tried your link to Z Central Station and the photos did not come up. I don't think your link is fully highlighted so it doesn't get one to your actual photos. Please tried it again. If left unhighlighted then folks who may not be members will probably not be able to find them. Cheers, Jim CCRR
                      • misszscale
                        Message 11 of 20 , Dec 9, 2009
                          Rick, Thanks. I agree too many passengers would be out of place. I just want to give the impression that people are there. I'm modeling an old Marklin passenger car. But with a little success, I won't stop there. I'll move on to the more modern ones. Maybe carrying passengers on their way to the House of the Rising Sun. :o)

                          Eileen

                          Message 12 of 20 , Dec 9, 2009
                            Thanks, David. That gives me more options. I worried the locomotive wouldn't be able to pull the weight with a lot of plastic figures. I was going to try paper silhouettes.

                            Eileen

                            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "David K. Smith" <david@...> wrote:

                            > You could put a person in every seat, and the weight of the car would barely be affected.
                            >
                            > --David
                            > http://jamesriverbranch.net/
                            > http://1-220.blogspot.com/
                            >
                            > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "misszscale" <spangle543@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > I don't want to do anything to add to the weight of the car. Just the illusion of some people there. Thanks!
                            > >
                            > > Eileen
                            > >
                            > > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "sj_baz_man" <sjbazman49@> wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > Yes, a few have gone insane sticking $100's of Preiser and Merten figures in the some of the cars, in case one sticks there face next to it or the camera. Jus kidding. Some of the "by the 100's" China figures are sitting. Some of the standing ones can be cut off too. Much cheaper too.
                            > > >
                            > > > Another option would be to print it and place it about 1/16 or so behind the glass, er, plastic.
                            > > >
                            > > > Jeff
                            > > > SF Bay Area Z

                          • misszscale
                            Message 13 of 20 , Dec 9, 2009
                              Jim, This is the link Mike gave me and it worked fine:

                              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "socalz44" <jimo.crcmnvgtr@...> wrote:

                              > Eileen, I just tried your link to Z Central Station and the photos did not come up. I don't think your link is fully highlighted so it doesn't get one to your actual photos. Please tried it again. If left unhighlighted then folks who may not be members will probably not be able to find them. Cheers, Jim CCRR

                            • Loren Snyder
                              Message 14 of 20 , Dec 9, 2009
                                Gee Rick,
                                That song takes the profit margin out of passenger service doesn't it? :o)
                                Loren

                                Message 15 of 20 , Dec 9, 2009
                                  Eileen, probably the glue used to hold them in place would add as much if not more weight than the figures themselves.

                                  --David
                                  http://jamesriverbranch.net/
                                  http://1-220.blogspot.com/

                                  --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "misszscale" <spangle543@...> wrote:

                                  > Thanks, David. That gives me more options. I worried the locomotive wouldn't be able to pull the weight with a lot of plastic figures. I was going to try paper silhouettes.
                                  >
                                  > Eileen
                                  >
                                  > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "David K. Smith" <david@> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > You could put a person in every seat, and the weight of the car would barely be affected.
                                  > >
                                  > > --David
                                  > > http://jamesriverbranch.net/
                                  > > http://1-220.blogspot.com/
                                  > >
                                  > > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "misszscale" <spangle543@> wrote:
                                  > > >
                                  > > > I don't want to do anything to add to the weight of the car. Just the illusion of some people there. Thanks!
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Eileen

                                • socalz44
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Dec 9, 2009
                                    Ok, This link works. It just wasn't fully highlited in the posting I was reading. Cheers, Jim CCRR

                                    --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "misszscale" <spangle543@...> wrote:

                                    > Jim, This is the link Mike gave me and it worked fine:
                                    >
                                    > http://zcentralstation.com/index.php?option=com_joomgallery&Itemid=64&func=viewcategory&catid=85
                                    >
                                    > Eileen
                                    >
                                    > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "socalz44" <jimo.crcmnvgtr@> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > Eileen, I just tried your link to Z Central Station and the photos did not come up. I don't think your link is fully highlighted so it doesn't get one to your actual photos. Please tried it again. If left unhighlighted then folks who may not be members will probably not be able to find them. Cheers, Jim CCRR

                                  • Harbormaster
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Dec 9, 2009
                                      Hi,
                                      Interesting conversation!

                                      We just asked our Design Review Board about adding 3D figures to the interiors of our PULLMAN Heavyweights.

                                      Please see the photo in the ZCentral Station category "PULLMAN HEAVYWEIGHTS".

                                      We have planned on selling the interiors as separate details (they will add about 1% weight to the car).

                                      We are thinking about offering separate "drop-in" interiors for all of the PULLMAN Heavyweights for somewhere between $15-$20 additional.

                                      Please give us your ideas on the "added value" for the inclusion of CAD generated 3D figures fixed in place to a complete $20 interior. Each figure would be molded-in as part of the product. Depending on the car, there would be about 20-30 figures per car.

                                      Sitting, standing, running, sleeping, drinking, eating, working, serving, etc. etc. ALL to correct scale and "fit".

                                      Jim

                                      Ok, This link works. It just wasn't fully highlited in the posting I was reading. Cheers, Jim CCRR

                                      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "misszscale" <spangle543@...> wrote:

                                      > Jim, This is the link Mike gave me and it worked fine:
                                      >
                                      > http://zcentralstation.com/index.php?option=com_joomgallery&Itemid=64&func=viewcategory&catid=85
                                      >
                                      > Eileen
                                      >
                                      > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "socalz44" <jimo.crcmnvgtr@> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > Eileen, I just tried your link to Z Central Station and the photos did not come up. I don't think your link is fully highlighted so it doesn't get one to your actual photos. Please tried it again. If left unhighlighted then folks who may not be members will probably not be able to find them. Cheers, Jim CCRR

                                    • M & J Piersdorff
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Dec 9, 2009
                                        I've searched all over Z Central and cannot find a category called "Pullman Heavyweights". Where is it hidden, please?

                                        M1ch43l

                                        Message 19 of 20 , Dec 9, 2009
                                          Admittedly, the Z Central photo gallery is not the easiest thing in the world to navigate (I'll refrain from being blunt), but here is the gallery in question:

                                          http://zcentralstation.com/index.php?option=com_joomgallery&Itemid=64&func=viewcategory&catid=104

                                          --David
                                          http://jamesriverbranch.net/
                                          http://1-220.blogspot.com/

                                          Message 20 of 20 , Dec 10, 2009
                                            Thank you, David.

                                            I have to confess to being no wiser about the Z-Central navigation issue, but at least I have seen the picture I was looking for.

                                            Michael