Re: www.Val-Ease-Central.Com

  • Jeffrey MacHan
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 30, 1999
      Hey Pete,

      On behalf of everyone on the list, let me wish you a successful operation
      whenever it takes place.

      Taking part in train shows with Z is a most rewarding experience. In most
      places that I have taken the VEC, I have been the only Z in town. After 3
      years in Vancouver area shows, we now see other Z layouts on display.

      People are fascinated with the scale and comments range from "it's
      fanastic!" to "it's soooo cute!" to "it's too small!". My responses to
      these very spontaneous exclamations are, in order, "I'm glad that you think
      so...", "isn't it though!" and "too small for whom?".

      When confronted with the last reply, most people realize that they are
      testing the layout in their mind as a modeling scale. When they percieve
      the layout from a less personal angle, they are more likely to ask what size
      the layout would translate to in N or HO scale. Some even come back later
      to take pictures for use as reminders for the track plans.

      For those of you who are interested, each section of the Val Ease Central
      measures 24" x 30" which comes out to 33" x 41.25" in N scale, and 60" x 76"
      in HO scale. The 2 section VEC measures 24" x 63" and the 3 section VEC
      (coming soon) measures 24" x 97".

      In order to set up the complete layout, I bought two 4' folding tables which
      means that there is a 1/2" overhang on both ends. I'm hoping to unveil the
      third suitcase, Centre Val Ease, next February at the Great American Train
      Show in Portland, Oregon.

      Which brings me to your question about the Springfield, MA show. I have
      heard many great things about this show, mainly from N scalers. When I
      lived in Qu�bec City, I was tempted to go but bad weather on both occasions
      forced me to cancel. Unfortunately, I am unable to take the layout onto
      airlines as checked baggage. The customer service people of the major
      carriers have told me that the chances of the layout arriving intact are 0
      or worse! I would have to get special permission to take them into the
      cabin which I haven't tried yet or pay a supplement (the price of a second
      seat I have been informed)! I may try to convince AA to sponsor the layout
      so that I can get to the Z meet in Dallas next April, who knows?

      So I participate in train shows that are within a day's driving distance (8
      hours max). From Vancouver, that means that I can get as far North as
      Prince George, BC...as far West as Victoria or Nanaimo, BC...as far East as
      Revelstoke, BC...as far South as Eugene, OR and as far South East as
      Spokane, WA and points in between.

      Sorry that we won't see each other in Springfield, although I sure hope that
      you get to go.

      Take care, Pete,

      Cheers,
      Jeffrey MacHan

      >From: pleahy@...
      >Subject: Re: [z_scale] www.Val-Ease-Central.Com
      >Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 21:34:22 -0500
      >
      >Thanks Jeffery!
      >I know what you mean, I have been hemming and hawing about putting up a
      >site for some time now. I just don't have the time!
      >
      >Another question, I know you travel to a lot of shows, any chance you might
      >attend the big annual train show on Feb 5&6th in Springfield, MA? I try not
      >to miss it each year(though I wan't sure about this year due to an
      >upcomming kidney transplant on the 17th) It is usually a great shoe and
      >they expanded it to three building this year. Here is the URL:
      >http://www.AmherstRail.org/show/show.htm
      >They claim every scale will be represented, though last year there wasn't
      >any Z. There were some great N scale layouts though.
      >
      >Pete

    • Jeffrey Masiello
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 1, 1999
        Ok so I don't know if I just was paying too much attention to the trains
        running around or what but I never knew your layout was in two
        suitcases! I think that's great. even more so cause my first layout is
        going to be in my dad's old briefcase. (I'm sure he'll love to know I'm
        putting his things to good use ;) Now I definately know who to ask for
        advice. I just ordered the track and I'm trying to decide the best way
        to do the electrics of it. I'm thinking of buying a camera anyway so I
        might do a step by step photo shoot of it and poot it online:)
        Eventually.

        --
        Jeff Masiello - Level I Technician - Customer Services
        masiello@... - 301 847 5082 (fax)
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 1, 1999
          Hello Jeff,

          I encourage you to take pictures of your modeling efforts as you go along.
          It is a nice record of your work and the pictures can be the basis for an
          article or to put on your web page. Most of us are insatiably curious to
          see how other enthusiasts go about building a layout.

          Have fun,
          Jeffrey MacHan

        • pleahy@xxxxxxxx.xxx
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 1, 1999
            Thanks for the well wishes, Jeffery. It is set for Feb 17th.
            I understand about not wanting to part with your suitcases. They would
            never survive such a flight!
            I should be able to make the Springfeild show providing we don't get a
            major snowstorm! I will give a report here after. I hope there is some Z
            there this year!

            Pete