RT POST - hallmark ornament converted to Z Re: [Z_Scale] Re: Micro diesel en

  • Garth
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 3, 2009
      There were several of us who powered the Hallmark PA from the Liberty Train Hallmark Christmas Ornament program in 2007 asthey were very close to 1:220 in scale. In fact several conversions were done.

      Dave F of Canon City CO's work can be found documented here
      http://www.trainboard.com/grapevine/showthread.php?t=91654&page=3

      and my work can be found here
      http://www.nn3.ca/main/main-american-zj-gauge-p4.htm

      Since they are powered by Micro Trains Geep chassis they run just like a Geep. The shell is metal so they are heavier than a standard Geep and pull a good load. The only thing that was important was to have the dummy axle float in the truck so it does not take any tractive effort away from the two axles that are powered.

      The real comparison is between Marklin and Micro Trains. Marklin use a small 5 pole partially open frame motor and before than a 3 pole version of the same motor using the same frame. The Micro Trains engines use a a 8mm Maxon can motor which is of better quality. The gearing is quite different between the two offerings. Marklin at 8 or 9vdc flys along the rail and is easily upset on curves. The Micro Trains Geeps and F units have lower gearing so do not get up to the same speeds as Marklin diesels etc on the same 8 - 9vdc.

      I have bias towards Micro Trains as I come from N-scale where they were the best in North American freight cars. Marklin adapted existing tooling to produce North American cars and engines so frequently did not get he truck dimensions right and as a result once Micro Trains started making engines I started the switch because things were more correct in relation to the prototype.

      cheerZ Garth