New guy needs advice

  • plschulten@bellsouth.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 29, 2009
      Getting back into Z from a few years back. I've built one layout before and am now starting a Noch Silbertal layout with all Marklin stuff from previous layout. So should I do the block sections, isolators, etc, or just go DCC? Where is a good source for track, parts, advice, etc? Thanks! Paul
    • Rick Saviano
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 29, 2009
        I still run DC, but the most prudent advice I can give is to use block
        sections, even if you decide to go DCC: It will make for more even
        power distribution, you will still be able to run non-decoder engines
        along with the DCC engines, and you can have operating block signals
        with or without DCC.

        - Rick Saviano

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 30, 2009
          Thanks Rick, sounds like great advice. How much does going DCC cost for the basic setup, and do you install the decoders yourself?

          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Rick Saviano <saviano@...> wrote:

          > I still run DC, but the most prudent advice I can give is to use block
          > sections, even if you decide to go DCC: It will make for more even
          > power distribution, you will still be able to run non-decoder engines
          > along with the DCC engines, and you can have operating block signals
          > with or without DCC.
          >
          > - Rick Saviano
          >
          > plschulten@... wrote:
          > > Getting back into Z from a few years back. I've built one layout before and am now starting a Noch Silbertal layout with all Marklin stuff from previous layout. So should I do the block sections, isolators, etc, or just go DCC? Where is a good source for track, parts, advice, etc? Thanks! Paul

        • John Mui
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 30, 2009
            It cost $150 for a basic NEC system, and about $30 for drop in decoder.

            John