Micro diesel engines vs Marklin engines

  • feb1929
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 29, 2009
      On my fairly large Z layout I find that Marklin engines stay on the track much better then micro engines. Can anyone address this? Many thanks.
    • John Duino
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 29, 2009
        You're a little thin on details. Where is it coming off the track? Radii? Running solo or consists? Pulling or mid-train or pushing?

        But in general I haven't had any problems with the MTL locs. We run them for hours, sometimes straight out of the box, at shows on modules being knocked and bumped by the masses. The only time I've seen a problem like this is when a truck was a little tight and wouldn't swivel, but that was due to my own poor re-assembly after peeking under the hood.

        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 29, 2009
          ...must be your engines. I have Marklin - Steam and Diesel [DCC] and many MTL [also DCC] and at least 1 AZL and even a converted Hallmark Christmas loco [both DCC] Lots of inclines [2%] many curves, probably 30 or so turnouts. I often pull 30 to 40 cars - short, long, high, low. I don't see one bit of difference

          ....don

          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "feb1929" <feb1929@...> wrote:

          > On my fairly large Z layout I find that Marklin engines stay on the track much better then micro engines. Can anyone address this? Many thanks.

        • Garth
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 29, 2009
            I suspect the quality of the track work. Poor trackwork derails engines. Some are more forgiving than others.

            Like Don, I have a mix of Marklin Steam 6, Marklin Diesel 1, Micro Trains Diesel 9, AZL diesel 1, Japanese Electic engines 6, and I am using a mostly Micro Trains Roadbed track with some older Peco and Micro Trains Flex and a mix of Micro Trains Switches, Wright Switches,
            Fast Tracks switches and I seldom experience derailments except when I try to run through a switch that has not been set correctly or I run over some debris on the track left by construction on the layout. I run DC only on a layout that is 3 x 22 feet with double track main two yards and many sidings.

            cheerz Garth

          • glennwoodle@bellsouth.net
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 29, 2009

              > I suspect the quality of the track work. Poor trackwork derails engines. Some are more forgiving than others.
              >
              > Like Don, I have a mix of Marklin Steam 6, Marklin Diesel 1, Micro Trains Diesel 9, AZL diesel 1, Japanese Electic engines 6, and I am using a mostly Micro Trains Roadbed track with some older Peco and Micro Trains Flex and a mix of Micro Trains Switches, Wright Switches,
              > Fast Tracks switches and I seldom experience derailments except when I try to run through a switch that has not been set correctly or I run over some debris on the track left by construction on the layout. I run DC only on a layout that is 3 x 22 feet with double track main two yards and many sidings.
              >
              > cheerz Garth
              >
              > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "zbarr474" <zbarr474@> wrote:
              > >
              > > ...must be your engines. I have Marklin - Steam and Diesel [DCC] and many MTL [also DCC] and at least 1 AZL and even a converted Hallmark Christmas loco [both DCC] Lots of inclines [2%] many curves, probably 30 or so turnouts. I often pull 30 to 40 cars - short, long, high, low. I don't see one bit of difference
              > >
              > > ....don
              > >

              > > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "feb1929" <feb1929@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > On my fairly large Z layout I find that Marklin engines stay on the track much better then micro engines. Can anyone address this? Many thanks.

              In addition to trackwork, what radius curves are you using? MTL track comes in the same 195mm & 220 mm curves. Marklin track is Code 60 while MTL is smaller at Code 55. I have no problem running MTL locos on MTL track.
            • Bohuš
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 3, 2009
                zbarr474 wrote:
                > ...must be your engines. I have Marklin - Steam and Diesel [DCC] and many MTL [also DCC] and at least 1 AZL and even a converted Hallmark Christmas loco [both DCC] Lots of inclines [2%] many curves, probably 30 or so turnouts. I often pull 30 to 40 cars - short, long, high, low. I don't see one bit of difference
                >
                > ....don
                >

                > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "feb1929" <feb1929@...> wrote:
                >
                >> On my fairly large Z layout I find that Marklin engines stay on the track much better then micro engines. Can anyone address this? Many thanks.

                Bohus Blahut
                (BOH-hoosh BLAH-hoot)

                modern filmmaker
              • Garth
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 3, 2009
                  There were several of us who powered the Hallmark PA from the Liberty Train Hallmark Christmas Ornament program in 2007 asthey were very close to 1:220 in scale. In fact several conversions were done.

                  Dave F of Canon City CO's work can be found documented here
                  http://www.trainboard.com/grapevine/showthread.php?t=91654&page=3

                  and my work can be found here
                  http://www.nn3.ca/main/main-american-zj-gauge-p4.htm

                  Since they are powered by Micro Trains Geep chassis they run just like a Geep. The shell is metal so they are heavier than a standard Geep and pull a good load. The only thing that was important was to have the dummy axle float in the truck so it does not take any tractive effort away from the two axles that are powered.

                  The real comparison is between Marklin and Micro Trains. Marklin use a small 5 pole partially open frame motor and before than a 3 pole version of the same motor using the same frame. The Micro Trains engines use a a 8mm Maxon can motor which is of better quality. The gearing is quite different between the two offerings. Marklin at 8 or 9vdc flys along the rail and is easily upset on curves. The Micro Trains Geeps and F units have lower gearing so do not get up to the same speeds as Marklin diesels etc on the same 8 - 9vdc.

                  I have bias towards Micro Trains as I come from N-scale where they were the best in North American freight cars. Marklin adapted existing tooling to produce North American cars and engines so frequently did not get he truck dimensions right and as a result once Micro Trains started making engines I started the switch because things were more correct in relation to the prototype.

                  cheerZ Garth