Re: [Z_Scale] Re: Passengers Getting Hungry On MTL Trains

  • Reynard Wellman
    Message 1 of 55 , Nov 3, 2009
      Hi Ell,
      You are absolutely right, interesting and
      celebratory printing on MTL boxcars are
      helpful in getting some attention and art
      into what might otherwise be boring to
      the random show visitor. And I would collect
      and show them all if I could afford it.

      But what about those poor passengers having
      to stop the train at least twice a day to get breakfast
      and dinner on their long journeys from NY to Chicago,
      Denver to Sacramento? Even a Buffet Car would
      help. Those were once provided on trains as well.
      Not even the hobby train manufacturers in the larger
      scales seem to recognize that.

      What helped sell the Pullman idea to the public
      back in those days was the comfort and luxuriance
      of travel by rail. Having comfortable berths,
      not boards to sleep on. Chef prepared meals.
      Porters who would round up the latest Wall Street
      Journal and a drink for the businessman, etc.

      The airlines even tried to match these ideas
      once. But today the airlines are self-destructing,
      having given up any vestige of comfort, timeliness
      and enjoyment in travel. The anticipation of
      adventure at the railway platform has been
      replaced by the anxiety of lost baggage at the
      airline carousel.

      I ramble --- but I do think we should set and meet
      some stronger human goals once in a while.

      Warm regardZ,
      Reynard

    • Elizabeth Hayes
      Message 55 of 55 , Nov 9, 2009
        is that guy in the green coat facing the tank doing what it appears that he is doing? that would explain the yellow puddle....

        To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
        From: pray59@...
        Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2009 21:34:22 +0000
        Subject: Novelty trains - Re: [Z_Scale] Re: Passengers Getting Hungry On MTL Trains

        glennwoodle wrote:
        >I'm surprised we don't have a version of the Atlas Nscale trailer on flats. Put a pair of 20' trailers on a 40' flat.

        I have some 53' TOFC cars:
        <http://www.trainboard.com/railimages/data/1048/Image77.jpg>
        <http://www.trainboard.com/railimages/data/1048/Image54.jpg>
        <http://www.trainboard.com/railimages/data/1048/Image63.jpg>

        -Robert

        Find the right PC with Windows 7 and Windows Live.
        http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/pc-scout/laptop-set-criteria.aspx?cbid=wl&filt=200,2400,10,19,1,3,1,7,50,650,2,12,0,1000&cat=1,2,3,4,5,6&brands=5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16&addf=4,5,9&ocid=PID24727::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-US:WWL_WIN_evergreen2:112009