Re: Engine Pulling Power?

  • Garth
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 27, 2009
      Hi Jim, Dom and Dave;

      The biggest concern is free rolling trucks. While the car weight is important overall free rolling trucks will lead to more cars on the track. I just finished replacing the wheel sets of 75 MTL freight cars with FVM metal wheel sets and I am pulling 30% more on level ground than I could previously.

      I have a passenger train with 65 ft passenger cars with MTL passenger trucks that weight 10 grams each and one engine can pull 10 to 12 of these cars and double headed I can pull all 25 that I have. My Marklin steamers can pull 6 or 7 only of these cars.

      I have a passenger train made from the Hallmark Christmas Ornament cars and they come in at 22.5 grams each but the trucks are not as free rolling as the MTL trucks are with delrin wheels and my 2 PAs can pull just 10 cars. As for the Marklin steamers they can pull three at best. The FVM wheels do not come in 36in size yet to match the MTL passenger truck wheels so can not say how well these would run with FVM wheels. I suspect considering how the FVM freight wheels worked out that if we had the larger passenger wheels also from FVM 10 and 12 car passenger trains should be doable with double head end power.

      cheerz Garth