Re: MTL F7 Motor Dis-assembly for Cleaning

  • zeeglen
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 25, 2009
      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "sj_baz_man" <sjbazman49@...> wrote:
      > what do you consider good current draw ? What is the best and typical that you have seen ?

      If I recall correctly, with the motor removed from the locomotive about 120 mA from a pure DC source at 9 volts (a battery). I used to have data at various DC and pulse voltages with the motor in and out of the loco, was lost long ago after a computer crash.

      The problem with trying to make current measurements is the meter's response to pulsed current. Most DMMs are average responding, some are true RMS responding. If the power pack sources sine pulses, your reading will vary.

      I make current measurements on an oscilloscope using a MRC Tech II 1400 Railpower that outputs 60 sine pulses per second. At 4 volts peak, the current sould be no more than 300 mA peak for a loco on the track. Useless answer for those who want to use a DMM.

      Give me a few days, will make some measurements using both pure DC and 60 pulses per second as measured on a typical average responding digital multimeter from the hardware store. This should serve as an approximate set of numbers.