table-top z layout

  • Hitch
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 9, 2009
      Hi again,
      I've got a coffee table I'd like to have a layout design for. It measures about 2'x5'. Is there some good software you can recommend that would help me do a layout?

      Thanks!
    • Giacomo Cottarelli
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 9, 2009
        Hi,
        I use Anyrail with Linux OS,but exist windows version, download trial version= 50 pieces of track allowed in trial version,for me it's a good software for Z scale.
        See ya
        Giacomo

        ________________________________
        I've got a coffee table I'd like to have a layout design for. It measures about 2'x5'. Is there some good software you can recommend that would help me do a layout?

        Thanks!

      • Alan Cox
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 9, 2009
          On Fri, 9 Oct 2009 06:51:39 -0700 (PDT)
          Giacomo Cottarelli <xavierx6699@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          > I use Anyrail with Linux OS,but exist windows version, download trial version= 50 pieces of track allowed in trial version,for me it's a good software for Z scale.

          I use xtrackcad 4.0 - its free, it works on Linux.

          Alan
        • Giacomo Cottarelli
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 9, 2009
            Hi Alan,

            A question,but xtrackcad 4.0 have Marklin or Micro-Trains track,because i have tried xtrackcad some years ago,but not track for Z scale,xtrackcad it's also a good software for trackplan.
            Thanks.
            Giacomo

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 9, 2009
              I don't know about software - but I am going to do a layout about that size (2' x 4') based on John Allen's Gore and Daphetid  original plan. It is a wonderful plan with good operational possibilities as well as the ability to just let trains go round and round.

              http://www.gdlines.com/GD_Galleries/Planning/slides/trackplan.html

              I've got a coffee table I'd like to have a layout design for. It measures about 2'x5'. Is there some good software you can recommend that would help me do a layout?

              Thanks!

            • zbarr474
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 9, 2009
                Try XtrkCad aka XTrackCad [same program]. Used to cost about $100. It is now open source and free. There is a large forum on Yahoo. It takes a little effort to learn, but the rewards are very high.

                ...don

                --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Hitch" <hitch1816@...> wrote:

                > Hi again,
                > I've got a coffee table I'd like to have a layout design for. It measures about 2'x5'. Is there some good software you can recommend that would help me do a layout?
                >
                > Thanks!

              • Alan Cox
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 9, 2009
                  On Fri, 9 Oct 2009 08:46:45 -0700 (PDT)
                  Giacomo Cottarelli <xavierx6699@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Alan,
                  >
                  > A question,but xtrackcad 4.0 have Marklin or Micro-Trains track,because i have tried xtrackcad some years ago,but not track for Z scale,xtrackcad it's also a good software for trackplan.

                  It has märklin track in the database.
                • Uwe Liermann
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 9, 2009
                    Hello Giacomo,

                    > A question,but xtrackcad 4.0 have Marklin or Micro-Trains
                    > track,because i have tried xtrackcad some years ago,but not track
                    > for Z scale,

                    xtracad has the Z-scale library, I just don't know if there is a
                    library for the Micro-Trains track sections. But then you can use the
                    Maerklin library for this since MTL did follow Maerklin in the
                    footprint of all sections (at least until now). There are just fewer
                    sections from MTL available yet.

                    --
                    GreetingZ
                    Uwe
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 9, 2009
                      Hello Hitch,

                      > I've got a coffee table I'd like to have a layout design for. It
                      > measures about 2'x5'. Is there some good software you can recommend
                      > that would help me do a layout?

                      as Don wrote, there are many software options available, and you will
                      probably get as many answers about which is the best one. Giacomo and
                      Alan named two who works with Linux. Personally I prefer Raily 4:

                      http://www.enigon.com/products/raily/

                      The best is to get the trial versions and just test it.

                      Another point is about using a software to plan a layout. In my
                      opinion any software is only good at doing the drawing of a plan to
                      use on the workbench, for documenting everything and if the software
                      has the feature you can let trains run on your virtual layout.

                      To get an idea what kind of layout you can do in a defined space it is
                      much better to look out for existing plans and customize them.

                      --
                      GreetingZ
                      Uwe
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 9, 2009
                        Hello Hitch,

                        I just forgot:

                        another source for ideas for small layouts:

                        http://www.carendt.us/

                        And don't look only for Z-scale, it can also be an idea to convert a
                        layout from another scale to Z. For this a software is indeed a good
                        help.

                        --
                        GreetingZ
                        Uwe
                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 10, 2009
                          Hi Uwe,

                          How are you? all good? i have an old old version fo xtrkcad without z scale track, but yesterday i download the 4 .0 version with Marklin Z track,very gooooooood.

                          Take care
                          Gaicomo

                          ________________________________
                          > A question,but xtrackcad 4.0 have Marklin or Micro-Trains
                          > track,because i have tried xtrackcad some years ago,but not track
                          > for Z scale,

                          xtracad has the Z-scale library, I just don't know if there is a
                          library for the Micro-Trains track sections. But then you can use the
                          Maerklin library for this since MTL did follow Maerklin in the
                          footprint of all sections (at least until now). There are just fewer
                          sections from MTL available yet.

                          --
                          GreetingZ
                          Uwe

                        • StonyS
                          Message 12 of 13 , Oct 11, 2009
                            Simply put, YES, there is a file "mtl-z.xtp" that has the Micro-Trains track parameters. It works very well. It should be part of the install, but if you don't find it, let me know and I can send you a copy.

                            I have really enjoyed working with XTrkCAD4 over the past three years. It's simple, lightweight, and allows you to "run" the trains if you wish. I just wish that it had a 3D view.

                            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Giacomo Cottarelli <xavierx6699@...> wrote:

                            > Hi Alan,
                            >
                            > A question,but xtrackcad 4.0 have Marklin or Micro-Trains track,because i have tried xtrackcad some years ago,but not track for Z scale,xtrackcad it's also a good software for trackplan.
                            > Thanks.
                            > Giacomo

                          • Giacomo Cottarelli
                            Message 13 of 13 , Oct 11, 2009
                              I discovered because i have an older version of Xtrkcad, my version of Linux download
                              a 2001 version of the software from the website Sillub.com.
                              I upgraded to version 4 and found the files for the Z scale.
                              Thanks.

                              Giacomo