Re: more on MTL SD-40-2 middle axle

  • zeeglen
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 3, 2009
      Garth,

      What is "bullfrog snot"?

      Would it be possible to thin the truck frames at the center axle to allow a bit more sideways free play without losing gear mesh and pickup contact? This might allow regular wheelsets at the center axle to accomodate tight curve radius.

      > Well I would like to try and fit the regular wheel sets in the center axle slot and see if we get improved traction or not but it would improve electrical pickup with another 4 points of contact per engine cause I only need it to go around 195 radius.
      >
      > I wonder how thick a coating of bullfrog snot is and if it can improve the draw bar pull before stalling or not.
      >
      > cheerz Garth

    • Uwe Liermann
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 4, 2009
        Hello Glen,

        > What is "bullfrog snot"?

        it is a liquid tration tire:

        http://www.bullfrogsnot.com/

        --
        GreetingZ
        Uwe
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 4, 2009
          Your first question was answered by another member of the group.

          I personally do not think altering the truck side frames will do anything towards allowing the center axle to slide back and forth in the frame. There are a number of things that could be down to allow sideways movement. The hole in the bottom plate of the truck would have to widened, you would have to remove the axle cone that fits into the brass pickup on the inside of the truck frame, and you may have to shave the gear on the axle down a bit to allow it to move inside the truck housing. If you want the engine to run on tight curves it does that now so why alter it. For some of us we are not interested on running it on tight radii so some of us think it just might be a little bit better puller with the current center axle and wheel set replaced with a normal one.

          cheerz Garth

          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "zeeglen" <glen@...> wrote:

          > Garth,
          >
          > What is "bullfrog snot"?
          >
          > Would it be possible to thin the truck frames at the center axle to allow a bit more sideways free play without losing gear mesh and pickup contact? This might allow regular wheelsets at the center axle to accomodate tight curve radius.
          >

          > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Garth" <garth.a.hamilton@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Well I would like to try and fit the regular wheel sets in the center axle slot and see if we get improved traction or not but it would improve electrical pickup with another 4 points of contact per engine cause I only need it to go around 195 radius.
          > >
          > > I wonder how thick a coating of bullfrog snot is and if it can improve the draw bar pull before stalling or not.
          > >
          > > cheerz Garth

        • John Mui
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 4, 2009
            Garth, sometimes I like to know what happens when I do something different.
            It makes it more interesting.

            John