RE: [Z_Scale] Pa. Rail

  • Elizabeth Hayes
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2009
      Did you go up the road a little bit and stay at that caboose motel? or at least drive through their lot to look at the cabooses ?

      To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
      From: dlgeorgesr@...
      Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 17:04:33 +0000
      Subject: [Z_Scale] Pa. Rail

      Last Monday I spent enjoying all of the rail fun around Strasburg,Pa. I stayed in Paradise,Pa.,too. How appropriate.
      I visited the Strasburg Model Train store , which had a reasonably nice inventory of Z rolling stock,,then next door to the fantastic O scale operating layout.The quality of this layout is worth the $6.00 fee to enter.
      The combination of the Pennsylvanie Railroad Museum on one side of the road and the Strasburg Tourist Railroad a few steps across the way is a double delight.
      I road the train and had a grand time talking to people from across the U.S.A. with their Munchkins in tow. School is in session so mostly babies and preschoolers were there.The train makes a 12:00n - 1:00p - & 2:00p trip.
      The Pa. R.R Museum is mind boggling for two reason. 1. The quantity and variety of locos and rolling stock is impressive and 2.the quality of restoration and display is superb.
      All of this R.R. adventure took place smack dab in the middle of Pa. Dutch Country where there are bucolic farm scenes with horse drawn plows and family horse and buggies on every road.
      I made this R.R.vist as a tail end stop ( before flying back home to Spring ,Tx. from Philadelphia the next morning) after attending my 53rd High School class picnic reunion in the Wyoming Valley area near Wilkes-Barre.When you get to be our age an annual get together is a must.
      I was treated to magnificent weather for all of the 6 days I spent in Pa.
      Life Is Good.
      Cordially,
      Mister Dave

    • dlgeorgesr
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 3, 2009
        When you take the train trip it goes by the Caboose Motel,,so that is as close as I got to it.
        I also did not visit the Toy Museum somewhere near by.
        Mister Dave
        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Elizabeth Hayes <ehayes24@...> wrote:

        > Did you go up the road a little bit and stay at that caboose motel? or at least drive through their lot to look at the cabooses ?
        >

        > To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
        > From: dlgeorgesr@...
        > Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 17:04:33 +0000
        > Subject: [Z_Scale] Pa. Rail
        >

        > Last Monday I spent enjoying all of the rail fun around Strasburg,Pa. I stayed in Paradise,Pa.,too. How appropriate.
        > I visited the Strasburg Model Train store , which had a reasonably nice inventory of Z rolling stock,,then next door to the fantastic O scale operating layout.The quality of this layout is worth the $6.00 fee to enter.
        > The combination of the Pennsylvanie Railroad Museum on one side of the road and the Strasburg Tourist Railroad a few steps across the way is a double delight.
        > I road the train and had a grand time talking to people from across the U.S.A. with their Munchkins in tow. School is in session so mostly babies and preschoolers were there.The train makes a 12:00n - 1:00p - & 2:00p trip.
        > The Pa. R.R Museum is mind boggling for two reason. 1. The quantity and variety of locos and rolling stock is impressive and 2.the quality of restoration and display is superb.
        > All of this R.R. adventure took place smack dab in the middle of Pa. Dutch Country where there are bucolic farm scenes with horse drawn plows and family horse and buggies on every road.
        > I made this R.R.vist as a tail end stop ( before flying back home to Spring ,Tx. from Philadelphia the next morning) after attending my 53rd High School class picnic reunion in the Wyoming Valley area near Wilkes-Barre.When you get to be our age an annual get together is a must.
        > I was treated to magnificent weather for all of the 6 days I spent in Pa.
        > Life Is Good.
        > Cordially,
        > Mister Dave

      • itsjustme4real
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 4, 2009
          So Mr. Dave you started out in the Wyoming Valley which is North of me but here in Schuylkill County we are used to making that trek for a lot of what we need. Were you able to visit Steamtown in Scranton? Since it is a national park, seniors and permanently disabled people can obtain a national park pass which allows you to enter along with 3 others without charge. It is a neat place where everytime you go you see things you missed or they added since the last trip.

          I often frequent the Strasburg area and the train shop you talk about. It is South of me but makes a great day out. Seeing the Amish at work in their farms and going about their daily lives also adds to the day. It is great to see different eras of doing the same things working together there. You were lucky that you did not get into the middle of one of their funeral processions because you would not have gotten to see as much. While it is very interesting to see their way of going to the cemetary, I was held up one time while over 50 buggies crossed in front of me.

          Glad you had a good trip. Jean