Re : [Z_Scale] Re: Planning an MTL Briefcase Layout: Interior Dimensions?

  • de Champeaux Dominique
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 4, 2009
      >Thank you.
      >
      >I did not realize MTL made a "flex" track; I did not see it on the MTL >website.
      >
      >"Flex" track should allow a tighter radius than 195mm, and therefore >permit a layout in a more conventionally sized briefcase.

      Yet be careful not to have too tight curves. I don't know what the minimum radius is for a MTL Geep, but keep in mind that radii lower than 195 mm are marginal for standard rolling stock. You should have to stick with a 0-6-0 Marklin switcher and 2-axle freight cars. If you want to run MTL equipment (ie a Geep and a few 40' boxcars) I guess 195 mm is the minimum radius....

      Dom
    • Alan Cox
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 4, 2009
        > Yet be careful not to have too tight curves. I don't know what the minimum radius is for a MTL Geep, but keep in mind that radii lower than 195 mm are marginal for standard rolling stock. You should have to stick with a 0-6-0 Marklin switcher and 2-axle freight cars. If you want to run MTL equipment (ie a Geep and a few 40' boxcars) I guess 195 mm is the minimum radius....

        145 seems to be ok for all the Märklin european long coaches/wagons.
        Looks dire so you'd want to hide it when possible. Only real problem I
        had was pushing double deck coaches around it.

        Definitely looks best with small locos and older four/six wheel stock.
      • Thomas Creighton Sr
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 4, 2009
          I recently finished a 15" x 17" briefcase layout with Peco track and included 9 buildings, vehicles, trees and I run the Christmas train from MTL on it with no trouble and I could have installed switches if I felt they were necessary. Anything is possible in Z if you are patient and carefully think it out before you start. try it even though you might make mistakes. T Creighton Sr