Re: [Z_Scale] Z layouts where to find design ideals

  • Rick Saviano
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 4, 2009
      May I suggest going sectional? It will give you the ability to
      construct your layout one "block" at a time, almost literally. 21" x
      42" scales out to a Z scale city block. I used selective compression to
      represent 4 city blocks in one section by eliminating all the "boring"
      buildings and just keeping the "interesting"ones."Interesting" means a
      combination of architectural and functional qualities. As an example, I
      was on a club tour on Wednesday and use the signs from the clubs to
      sprinkle about the layout, sometimes using the sign from one place and
      the structure from another. I also have a location for a museum,
      because the "box scale" model of the U-505 from the Museum of Science
      and Industry is very close to 1:220. The Pioneer Zephyr is also at MSI,
      and they were originally both outdoors. The name for my museum is:
      "The Art Institute of Chicago Field Museum of Science and Industry"
      which shows more selective compression: it gives me a reason to build
      the Pioneer Zephyr and use the "David" Marklin car for the same structure.

      Have fun, and dig in! Don't wait the 8 years that I did trying to
      finalize the design: you'll wind up changing the layout anyway. As
      John said: "The cool part about modeling is you can do what you want,
      and if you don't like it, do it again...and again...and again."

      - Rick Saviano

      Robert Toole wrote:
      > Linda,
      > You have received some great ideas to start. Remember that since Z is smaller than all the other scales,
      > From: lynncharleyhill <lynncharleyhill@...>
      > I am looking for help in finding some pictures of Z layouts to get some good ideas on building a layout. Linda

    • davidhjortnaes
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 6, 2009
        I would suggest you also look into <www.anyrail.com> . You can do partial layouts without paying them a penny. I just designed my last layout after I bought the program. It is the easiest track laying program on the market. Very short learning curve. I love it.

        Good luck on your new layout.

        dave h.

        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "lynncharleyhill" <lynncharleyhill@...> wrote:

        > I am looking for help in finding some pictures of Z layouts to get some good ideas on building a layout. Linda

      • jeffcrist2002
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 8, 2009

          (http://www.trainboard.com/grapevine/showthread.php?t=112216)