Re: [Z_Scale] Z layouts where to find design ideals

  • John Duino
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 3, 2009
      The cool part about modeling is you can do what you want, and if you don't like it, do it again...and again...and again.

      And as I always ask...Linda, where are you from? Having someone local you can talk to, look at their work, etc, makes it all very less daunting.

      John (in SoCal)

      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 4, 2009
        May I suggest going sectional? It will give you the ability to
        construct your layout one "block" at a time, almost literally. 21" x
        42" scales out to a Z scale city block. I used selective compression to
        represent 4 city blocks in one section by eliminating all the "boring"
        buildings and just keeping the "interesting"ones."Interesting" means a
        combination of architectural and functional qualities. As an example, I
        was on a club tour on Wednesday and use the signs from the clubs to
        sprinkle about the layout, sometimes using the sign from one place and
        the structure from another. I also have a location for a museum,
        because the "box scale" model of the U-505 from the Museum of Science
        and Industry is very close to 1:220. The Pioneer Zephyr is also at MSI,
        and they were originally both outdoors. The name for my museum is:
        "The Art Institute of Chicago Field Museum of Science and Industry"
        which shows more selective compression: it gives me a reason to build
        the Pioneer Zephyr and use the "David" Marklin car for the same structure.

        Have fun, and dig in! Don't wait the 8 years that I did trying to
        finalize the design: you'll wind up changing the layout anyway. As
        John said: "The cool part about modeling is you can do what you want,
        and if you don't like it, do it again...and again...and again."

        - Rick Saviano

        Robert Toole wrote:
        > Linda,
        > You have received some great ideas to start. Remember that since Z is smaller than all the other scales,
        > From: lynncharleyhill <lynncharleyhill@...>
        > I am looking for help in finding some pictures of Z layouts to get some good ideas on building a layout. Linda

      • davidhjortnaes
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 6, 2009
          I would suggest you also look into <www.anyrail.com> . You can do partial layouts without paying them a penny. I just designed my last layout after I bought the program. It is the easiest track laying program on the market. Very short learning curve. I love it.

          Good luck on your new layout.

          dave h.

          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "lynncharleyhill" <lynncharleyhill@...> wrote:

          > I am looking for help in finding some pictures of Z layouts to get some good ideas on building a layout. Linda

        • jeffcrist2002
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 8, 2009

            (http://www.trainboard.com/grapevine/showthread.php?t=112216)