Re: [Z_Scale] Z layouts where to find design ideals

  • Robert Toole
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 3, 2009
      Linda,
      You have received some great ideas to start. Remember that since Z is smaller than all the other scales, check out all scales and remember Z takes up less space. If you check You Tube also look at all scales and I'm sure you will find some great ideas. I started with plans and pictures that I found on the Internet and modified them to my needs and allowable space.
      Your search will show you a lot of ideas and you will learn much.
      Good luck in your search.
      Robert
      Modeling Tweezer Trains on the Left Coast

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 3, 2009
        The cool part about modeling is you can do what you want, and if you don't like it, do it again...and again...and again.

        And as I always ask...Linda, where are you from? Having someone local you can talk to, look at their work, etc, makes it all very less daunting.

        John (in SoCal)

        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 4, 2009
          May I suggest going sectional? It will give you the ability to
          construct your layout one "block" at a time, almost literally. 21" x
          42" scales out to a Z scale city block. I used selective compression to
          represent 4 city blocks in one section by eliminating all the "boring"
          buildings and just keeping the "interesting"ones."Interesting" means a
          combination of architectural and functional qualities. As an example, I
          was on a club tour on Wednesday and use the signs from the clubs to
          sprinkle about the layout, sometimes using the sign from one place and
          the structure from another. I also have a location for a museum,
          because the "box scale" model of the U-505 from the Museum of Science
          and Industry is very close to 1:220. The Pioneer Zephyr is also at MSI,
          and they were originally both outdoors. The name for my museum is:
          "The Art Institute of Chicago Field Museum of Science and Industry"
          which shows more selective compression: it gives me a reason to build
          the Pioneer Zephyr and use the "David" Marklin car for the same structure.

          Have fun, and dig in! Don't wait the 8 years that I did trying to
          finalize the design: you'll wind up changing the layout anyway. As
          John said: "The cool part about modeling is you can do what you want,
          and if you don't like it, do it again...and again...and again."

          - Rick Saviano

          Robert Toole wrote:
          > Linda,
          > You have received some great ideas to start. Remember that since Z is smaller than all the other scales,
          > From: lynncharleyhill <lynncharleyhill@...>
          > I am looking for help in finding some pictures of Z layouts to get some good ideas on building a layout. Linda

        • davidhjortnaes
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 6, 2009
            I would suggest you also look into <www.anyrail.com> . You can do partial layouts without paying them a penny. I just designed my last layout after I bought the program. It is the easiest track laying program on the market. Very short learning curve. I love it.

            Good luck on your new layout.

            dave h.

            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "lynncharleyhill" <lynncharleyhill@...> wrote:

            > I am looking for help in finding some pictures of Z layouts to get some good ideas on building a layout. Linda

          • jeffcrist2002
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 8, 2009

              (http://www.trainboard.com/grapevine/showthread.php?t=112216)