Re: [Z_Scale] Z layouts where to find design ideals

  • ztrack@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 3, 2009
      Linda,

      Hello! I would check out the photo archives here on Yahoo as well as Trainboard and Z Central Station.?

      http://zcentralstation.com/

      http://www.trainboard.com/grapevine/forumdisplay.php?f=171

      Also, our publication Ztrack Magazine has years worth of layout photos. I would encourage you to take a look at the back issues and pick out a few that are of interest to you. The first issue is on me! Just let me know which one you are interested in. Go to the 'Back Issue' link on:

      www.ztrack.com

      Rob Kluz

      Ztrack Magazine

      www.ztrack.com

      www.ztrackcenter.com

      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 3, 2009
        As Rob said, check the files and photo areas of this group at yahoogroups,
        another thing you can do is to do a google image search for "Z gauge
        layouts" (without the quotation marks), the search will give you a ton of
        pictures and ideas.

        David

        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 3, 2009
          For openers, just look in the photos section of this forum. There are many hundreds to thousands of photos. The next step is to join TRAINBOAD.COM [free] and go to the Z section. Just start trolling though all the messages and you will find hundreds to thousands of photos. With TRAINBOARD the photos are imbedded within the messages so in many cases you will get information as to HOW the layout or item was made. And finally join ZCENTRAL and get similar type information. One last place to look to see what type of equipment is available overall is ZSCALEMONSTER.COM This site has photos of a high percentage of current items for sale.

          ZTRACK has already answered you regarding the only Z Scale specialty publication and that is something you might want to subscribe to if you want to keep up to date as to what is available.

          In any event ask good questions and within the Z group you will ALWAYS get good answers.

          ...don

          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "lynncharleyhill" <lynncharleyhill@...> wrote:

          > I am looking for help in finding some pictures of Z layouts to get some good ideas on building a layout. Linda

        • soccrdad
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 3, 2009
            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "lynncharleyhill" <lynncharleyhill@...> wrote:

            > I am looking for help in finding some pictures of Z layouts to get some good ideas on building a layout. Linda

            Hello Linda. As a fellow Z newbie, I know how daunting it is to start a model train layout. Some great Z references have been mentioned, but you may want to check out YouTube. Search for "Z-scale" or "Z-gauge" and you could watch some fantastic layouts and modules in action.

            While in YouTube you can perform a general search "model trains weathering" or "model trains scenery" and learn some modelling techniques. There is a ton of information in YouTube, and if you miss something... just replay the video!

            Good luck Linda.

            John K.
          • donmelcher_hfradio
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 3, 2009
              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "lynncharleyhill" <lynncharleyhill@...> wrote:

              > I am looking for help in finding some pictures of Z layouts to get some good ideas on building a layout. Linda

              Ignore the folks who seem to think you should just naturally know everything... the internet is full of them.

              Keep in mind that your search doesn't have to include strictly Z layouts. Layouts in other scales can be adapted.

              Z is roughly 1/3 the size of HO (the most popular scale) and roughly 2/3 the size of N. There won't be the variety of track pieces there is in HO or N, but that shouldn't stop you. If you are tight on space - don't overlook O-gauge 3-rail (Lionel) layout ideas. Those folks are REALLY cramped for space (a scale California Zephyr passenger train would be about 20' long) so there might be some ideas there.

              You local hobby shop will have several books. One I always look at (I have two copies of it in fact) is "101 Track Plans for Model Railroaders" by Lynn Westcott. It is an old standard that has been around for years. It is drawn for HO but as I said before, that really doesn't matter. My wife once said she can't beleive how many books there are on model train layouts - I have quite a stack i use for "dreaming". ;)

              I am just getting around to building a Z layout after having equipment for over 20 years but distracted by other scales. The new Microtrains GP-9 (in my favorite road - Western Pacific) is what got me back. I am going to use a track plan that is in that book - John Allen's original Gorre & Daphetid. I have always wanted to build a layout based on the G&D plan. Allen was a real pioneer. The trackplan

              http://www.gdlines.com/GD_Galleries/Planning/slides/trackplan.html

              is neat in that it really is a railroad that goes from point A to point B but has an option for continious (round and round) running. I am going to add a hidden staging track in the "tunnel" and a "run around" track at Daphetid. The plan shows a turntable, but it was constructed with a small yard there instead with stock pens. I will likely do similar with some sort of industry there. Looks like it will be about 20" x 30 - 36".
            • Robert Toole
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 3, 2009
                Linda,
                You have received some great ideas to start. Remember that since Z is smaller than all the other scales, check out all scales and remember Z takes up less space. If you check You Tube also look at all scales and I'm sure you will find some great ideas. I started with plans and pictures that I found on the Internet and modified them to my needs and allowable space.
                Your search will show you a lot of ideas and you will learn much.
                Good luck in your search.
                Robert
                Modeling Tweezer Trains on the Left Coast

                ________________________________
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 3, 2009
                  The cool part about modeling is you can do what you want, and if you don't like it, do it again...and again...and again.

                  And as I always ask...Linda, where are you from? Having someone local you can talk to, look at their work, etc, makes it all very less daunting.

                  John (in SoCal)

                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 4, 2009
                    May I suggest going sectional? It will give you the ability to
                    construct your layout one "block" at a time, almost literally. 21" x
                    42" scales out to a Z scale city block. I used selective compression to
                    represent 4 city blocks in one section by eliminating all the "boring"
                    buildings and just keeping the "interesting"ones."Interesting" means a
                    combination of architectural and functional qualities. As an example, I
                    was on a club tour on Wednesday and use the signs from the clubs to
                    sprinkle about the layout, sometimes using the sign from one place and
                    the structure from another. I also have a location for a museum,
                    because the "box scale" model of the U-505 from the Museum of Science
                    and Industry is very close to 1:220. The Pioneer Zephyr is also at MSI,
                    and they were originally both outdoors. The name for my museum is:
                    "The Art Institute of Chicago Field Museum of Science and Industry"
                    which shows more selective compression: it gives me a reason to build
                    the Pioneer Zephyr and use the "David" Marklin car for the same structure.

                    Have fun, and dig in! Don't wait the 8 years that I did trying to
                    finalize the design: you'll wind up changing the layout anyway. As
                    John said: "The cool part about modeling is you can do what you want,
                    and if you don't like it, do it again...and again...and again."

                    - Rick Saviano

                    Robert Toole wrote:
                    > Linda,
                    > You have received some great ideas to start. Remember that since Z is smaller than all the other scales,
                    > From: lynncharleyhill <lynncharleyhill@...>
                    > I am looking for help in finding some pictures of Z layouts to get some good ideas on building a layout. Linda

                  • davidhjortnaes
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 6, 2009
                      I would suggest you also look into <www.anyrail.com> . You can do partial layouts without paying them a penny. I just designed my last layout after I bought the program. It is the easiest track laying program on the market. Very short learning curve. I love it.

                      Good luck on your new layout.

                      dave h.

                      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "lynncharleyhill" <lynncharleyhill@...> wrote:

                      > I am looking for help in finding some pictures of Z layouts to get some good ideas on building a layout. Linda

                    • jeffcrist2002
                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 8, 2009

                        (http://www.trainboard.com/grapevine/showthread.php?t=112216)