-wonder Bars-

  • CH Bahn
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 6, 2001
      Hi Gang,

      I use an item called a Wonder Bar for cleaning my track. It is a grey
      bar about 3 inches long, 1 inch high and 5/8th deep. It is rather
      rigid but bend-able and impregnated with something type of an abrasive
      material...maybe diamond dust.

      The Wonder Bar is used for polishing high precision castings. You can
      actually sharpen razor blades with it, they are that good. It will
      also put a mirror finish in your track.

      Anyhow, I am down to my last one. If you are familiar with this item
      can you please tell me where I can get more of them. The store I
      originally purchased them from has since gone out of business.

      Bill
    • D. A. Karp
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 7, 2001
        Bill,

        I'd be careful with those - it sounds like they're quite abrasive, and
        given how soft Z track is, it might wear it out very quickly.

        Anyway, the first place I'd look for something like that is Rio Grande
        (http://www.riogrande.com/). They have tons of polishing tools and other
        accessories for metal casting.

        -David

        At 10:26 PM 9/6/2001 -0700, you wrote:
        >I use an item called a Wonder Bar for cleaning my track. It is a grey
        >bar about 3 inches long, 1 inch high and 5/8th deep. It is rather
        >rigid but bend-able and impregnated with something type of an abrasive
        >material...maybe diamond dust.

        http://www.creativelement.com/z/
      • Ole Rosted
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 7, 2001
          On Fri, 07 Sep 2001 15:39:01 -0700, you wrote:

          Hello,

          >I'd be careful with those - it sounds like they're quite abrasive, and
          >given how soft Z track is, it might wear it out very quickly.

          Have you considered using Jay Greer's Trax cleaning strips.
          They are *good*

          regards Ole Rosted
        • jmac_han@hotmail.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 7, 2001
            I would recommend avoiding any strong abrasives or erasers of
            any sort. Erasers leave particles and binding residue on the
            rails. If you do not clean up after them, there is a risk of causing
            expensive problems with locomotives later on.

            Nickel silver rails do not need a strong scrubbing even if the
            trains have not been running for a long time.

            The most vigourous cleaning I have ever had to apply to the rails
            of the Val Ease Central was to use a chamois cloth wet with
            isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol. The alcohol will loosen up any oil
            and grime. The chamois will wipe it off just as efficiently as my
            finger which I still tend to use for the sake of convenience ;-) And
            neither the chamois or my finger leave threads caught in the rail
            joints.

            Cheers,
            Jeffrey

          • rleonard@magma.ca
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 8, 2001
              -I have often wondered about cleaning tracks in the narrow confines of
              a tunnel, it must be difficult to use these abrasive cleaners if you
              only can reach the tracks thru an access port. Surley you would have
              to have a lift off mountain top? On the other hand if you only need to
              use alcohol this could be easily done thru an access port utilizing
              long tweezers or other tool and alcohol soaked cotton pads? I am just
              in planning stages of building a mountain tunnel should I go for a
              lift off top of access ports?
              Jack Leonard

              - In z_scale@y..., jmac_han@h... wrote

            • rleonard@magma.ca
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 8, 2001
                ---
                Sorry, finger problems, that should read "lift off top or access
                ports"
                Jack Leonard

              • stamperdream@yahoo.ca
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 8, 2001
                  Hi Jack,

                  Having experienced the several scenarios that you have
                  described I have only one recommendation...build in a lift off top!
                  You'll be glad you did. It's important to be able to have easy
                  access to your tunnel trackage so make the space big enough
                  for your hands to get to the track.

                  Cotton swabs are to be avoided because they will leave fibres
                  caught on the plastic spikes along the rails. Test using them on
                  a section of track on the work bench and you will see what I
                  mean. Fibres will eventually get into loco gearing and wrap
                  themselves around rolling stock axels. This is something that
                  you want to avoid.

                  If your tunnel is only a couple of cm in length then you can use a
                  chamois wrapped around the end of a wooden ruler. The ruler
                  is wide enough to pass the chamois over both rails at the same
                  time.

                  I also use a small computer vacuum cleaning device to pick up
                  stray pieces of ballast and scenery material from the trackage
                  over the entire Val Ease Central before I run trains. Once a
                  month I vacuum the buildings and roads etc. as well. This
                  helps to reduce the accumulation of dust on the layout and
                  keeps it looking good.

                  Cheers,
                  Jeffrey MacHan

                  --- In z_scale@y..., rleonard@m... wrote:
                  > ---
                  > Sorry, finger problems, that should read "lift off top or access
                  > ports"
                  > Jack Leonard
                  >

                  > In z_scale@y..., rleonard@m... wrote:
                  > > -I have often wondered about cleaning tracks in the narrow
                  confines
                  > of
                  > > a tunnel, it must be difficult to use these abrasive cleaners if
                  you
                  > > only can reach the tracks thru an access port. Surley you
                  would have
                  > > to have a lift off mountain top? On the other hand if you only
                  need
                  > > use alcohol this could be easily done thru an access port
                  utilizing
                  > > long tweezers or other tool and alcohol soaked cotton pads?
                  I am
                  > just
                  > > in planning stages of building a mountain tunnel should I go
                  for a
                  > > lift off top of access ports?
                  > > Jack Leonard
                • Jay & Anne Greer
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 18, 2001
                    Hi Ole,
                    I trust and hope that all is going well for you. This recent outrage to the
                    US and the world will be eventually be corrected. Those who are responsible
                    will be found out and punished for their crimes. I sincerely believe that
                    goodness and honesty will triumph in the end.
                    Thanks for the endorsement on the TRAX STIX. We hope to have our line ready
                    and available in mid-November.
                    Best wishes to you and your family.
                    Jay Greer