Re : [Z_Scale] Re: MTL Switch grinding

  • de Champeaux Dominique
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 2, 2009
      >My observation is that the AZL loco wheels were narrower gauged, not a >flange depth issue. This was discussed LONG ago when they came out. They >also would not run well thru Peter Wrights turnouts. Märklin turnouts >were OK.
      >
      >If you simply widen the wheel spacing on the AZL locos, by less than >o.010" (about a flange width), they will run fine thru the MTL turnouts >without ANY modification. We run several dozen AZL locos thru several >dozen MTL turnouts at every show for the past years without issue. Once >the early productions were re-gauged, they have been fine.

      Once former AZLs' gauge has been widened, the same can be said about Wright turnouts. Myself I'm owning a solid batch of AZLs, either brass and plastic and as I've regauged them all run fine on my Wright turnouts.

      On another hand I've been told that recently manufactured AZL locos have about the same wheelgauge than MTL's stuff thus beeing directly available for MTL or Wright turnouts.

      Dom
    • de Champeaux Dominique
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 2, 2009
        >Measuring the wheel gauge is relatively easy; I just checked the inside >width of my early SD-70 wheel sets and they average .204" - .202" so >they're very narrow. But how does one widen them? If I think about dis->assembling the trucks, etc., it makes me want to go grind a frog rail >instead...

        Myself I've regauged my samples only using a jeweller's screwdriver. You just have to be careful not twist or bend the copper contacts that take power from the wheels on their upper sides. Otherwise it's quite easy: for every axle insert the screwdriver between one wheel's flange and the internal underside of the plastic truck cover, and twist the screwdriver, pushing the matched wheel outside, until it fits with your MTL track gauge.

        And this works either for older brass designs or for newer plastic designs (SD70s and GP7s).

        Dom
      • de Champeaux Dominique
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 2, 2009
          >The MTL Flex and Wright turnouts seem to produce a better show piece in >addition to running well.

          I do confirm, that's the combination I'm working with on my current layout (still deeply under construction) and thus I'm planning for my future empire. And I'm totally satisfied with its, from an user's standpoint as well as from a viewer's standpoint.

          Dom