Re: [Z_Scale] Re: MTL Switch grinding

  • dpstripe@aol.com
    Message 1 of 57 , Aug 1, 2009
      Rob,
      First of all, I understand your points here, and don't necessarily disagree
      with them. Before MT announced their turnouts, there were a lot of
      discussions on this forum about turnouts and many of those discussions talked
      about the advantages of power routing turnouts. At the time, I didn't really
      see an advantage to them. I was used to using insolated joiners and having
      separate power feeds for siding and yard tracks. That is part of the reason I
      never jumped on Wright turnouts. But, at the time, there was a lot of
      praise and call for power routing. And, it does have its advantages.

      As for powering through the points, you are right, the locomotives could
      just pass right through. But, a lot of lighter rolling stock could not. A
      lesson that I have learned (or failed to learn, depending how you look at it)
      at several train shows. Usually when there was a crowd of larger scalers
      around. The best practice is to remember to set both switches. Maybe the
      power routing switches will do a better job of conditioning people to do this.

      I personally don't mind the Marklin turnouts. I plan on using them, mostly
      because I have about 40 of them and see no reason to buy different ones.
      However, they do have their own issues. Mostly relating to the rails at their
      riveted pivot and their electrical contacts through the frogs. I have had
      to many cars catch the rail at the pivot, pick the points, and locs stall
      out on the frogs. In fact, I have had more issues with the leading trucks on
      my Marklin steam locs with Marklin turnouts than with MT. None of these
      issues in un-fixable. Nothing a little filing or tweaking of the frog
      contacts couldn't fix. But, out of the 12 turnouts on my old starter layout, I had
      to file 5 of them to get the steamers and PZ hoppers to pass through them
      without issue. So, I don't know how well suited they are for beginners,
      either. I'm not saying that to criticize Marklin. Like you said, they did an
      amazing thing, just getting them to work. But, the turnouts weren't all
      flowers and sunshine. Back in 2000, the Internet rescued my Z experience. I
      found multiple articles and postings about common problems with the turnouts
      and how to fix them. Without that, I would probably be in N scale, right now.

      As for MT turnouts, are they perfect? No, but if a beginner picks up an MT
      starter set and track expansion kit, they will have very few problems. They
      will not have to worry about isolated tracks, they will be forced to set
      the switches properly on their sidings, and it will be a good, gentle
      learning experience.

      Dan S.

      In a message dated 8/1/2009 10:46:28 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      ztrack@... writes:

      .......The marklin turnouts routed
      power every which way. Also, though completely unprototypical, locomotives
      could
      push through turnouts set the wrong way. This is a very important fact for
      beginners and those using manual turnouts at the end of yards and siding.
      No
      need to set the points, the trains would go through them. Ease of use...
      functionality at it's best.

      But MTL changed the rules. The turnouts do route power. There are dead
      spots and engines can push through turnouts. This forces operators to set
      points
      on both sides of a siding..........

      steps!
      =JulystepsfooterNO115)

    • ztrack@aol.com
      Message 57 of 57 , Aug 4, 2009
        In a message dated 8/1/09 1:21:13 PM, andy_r@... writes:

        > Do you know what is
        > happening to the Marklin product lines in the future, post bankruptcy?

        Andy,

        It is too soon to say. I know from my contacts with Marklin that the Z line
        is part of their long term plans. But it really depends on the new owner
        once they are established. The Z line is now under the control of the Trix
        team. There are some in Marklin who want to bring it back to the Marklin fold.
        We are all waiting for this time of uncertainty to come to an end.

        Rob

        Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
        6142 Northcliff Blvd.
        Dublin, OH 43016