Re: [Z_Scale] Re: MTL Switch grinding

  • ztrack@aol.com
    Message 1 of 57 , Aug 1, 2009
      Don,

      Excellent point. I can't disagree with you and your assessment. I hope this
      is not the reality, but if it is, so be it. This than does present an
      opportunity for another company. But the tooling, costs and ROI would be
      prohibitive for any company wanting to offer a competitive track system to Marklin
      and MTL.

      Yes, I am a member of the Z Standards committee. But, truthfully, we lost
      momentum after Bill K's passing. I think we could be close to approaching
      standards, but the issues presented in this thread show a need for flexibility
      in our standards. Rigid standards may not suite Z scale. We have 37 years of
      products to consider. Fortunately, we are not talking huge differences so
      it could be achieve. But would it really matter? I am not sure the
      manufacturers are really willing to make changes or considerations at this point.
      Standards may sound great on paper, but I believe the reality at this time is
      different.

      Rob

      Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
      6142 Northcliff Blvd.
      Dublin, OH 43016
      phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
      www.ztrack.com
      www.ztrackcenter.com
      Distributor American Z Line

      Message 57 of 57 , Aug 4, 2009
        In a message dated 8/1/09 1:21:13 PM, andy_r@... writes:

        > Do you know what is
        > happening to the Marklin product lines in the future, post bankruptcy?

        Andy,

        It is too soon to say. I know from my contacts with Marklin that the Z line
        is part of their long term plans. But it really depends on the new owner
        once they are established. The Z line is now under the control of the Trix
        team. There are some in Marklin who want to bring it back to the Marklin fold.
        We are all waiting for this time of uncertainty to come to an end.