Affixing track to layout

  • CH Bahn
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 2, 2001
      Hi Gang,

      Well, the Mitttenwald-Innsbruck Railway is now in the final phase of
      construction or nano-development.

      The track is being laid on a white-birch board. I am looking for some
      way, other than nailing, to affix the track to the board. Maybe some
      type of non-permanent transparent adhesive that can be applied to a
      couple spots of each track section with a strange or similar device.

      Something that will blend in with the white birch and the brown ties.

      Bill

      http://im.yahoo.com
    • bjkronen@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 2, 2001
        Bill:

        > The track is being laid on a white-birch board. I am looking for some
        > way, other than nailing, to affix the track to the board. Maybe some
        > type of non-permanent transparent adhesive that can be applied to a
        > couple spots of each track section with a strange or similar device.

        Ordinary white glue dries transparent, and is removable by dripping a few
        drops of water on it. That's the method that holds down several hundred feet
        of track in our modular group.

        Suggestion: Spray the track with rubbing alcohol first, then apply a mixture
        of 50/50 white glue/water, then another light spray of alcohol. The alcohol
        breaks the surface tension and the white glue just snuggles down and just
        about disappears. But its there. (alcohol = cheapest 70% stuff you can buy)

        Just a thought.

        Bill K.
      • chbahn@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 3, 2001
          Hi Bill,

          Sounds great. I assume that you are talking about regular Elmer's
          white that comes in the squeeze bottle.

          Thank you very much,
          Bill

        • chbahn@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 3, 2001
            Hi Bill,

            Let me pick your brain again, if I may.

            I would think that the glue mixture would be applies at the point
            where the rail sections join, and maybe a spot in the middle on longer
            sections like the #8505. Is that correct?

            Bill

          • bjkronen@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 3, 2001
              Bill:

              > I would think that the glue mixture would be applies at the point
              > where the rail sections join, and maybe a spot in the middle on longer
              > sections like the #8505. Is that correct?

              Be reminded, there are many ways to affix track. A search of this list would
              produce folks very satisfied with epoxy, double-sided-foam tape, contact
              (wood) cement, nails, silicone rubber, rubber cement, and just about anything
              else that holds track down.

              There is absolutely nothing wrong with any of them. Some are very permanent,
              some are not. "Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder." I prefer to
              translate that to "Results are in the finger tips of the beholder." Not
              everyone has the same skill. Or desired end result.

              Having said that, he's our version, including the use of N scale cork cut
              down to just under 0.5 inch (each half):

              1. Mark the track centerline on the plywood top (in our case, its a tracing
              of a full size CAD drawing)

              2. Run a 1/8" bead of white glue, full strength, down each side of the
              centerline, such that the bead will be in the middle of each piece of cork
              (i.e., the beads will be 0.25 inch away from the centerline)

              3. Press each half of the cork down on the bead, observing the centerline

              4. Put cans of food on the cork for about an hour for the glue to dry

              5. Lay the track down on the cork, centering the track on the break in the
              cork

              6. Use push pins to hold the track in place (use lots of them)

              7. Using a lever type spray bottle, wet down everything with cheap 70%
              rubbing alcohol

              8. Flood the center of the track with 50/50 mix of white glue/water till it
              just starts to cover the tie/sleeper tops.

              9. Use a cheap brush to work it in a little (don't panic at this point, its
              looks like a mess)

              10. Respray the track with cheap alcohol. Note how the glue begins to
              disappear and snuggle down.

              11. Put cans of food on the track to press it down to the cork

              12. After 15 minutes, if you are concerned there is a build up of glue
              somewhere, dip the cheap brush in water, and work the glue around. Respray
              with alcohol.

              13. Don't panic. It takes hours for the glue to be absorbed into the cork.

              14. Next day. Remove the cans and push pins and you should not be able to
              see any visible glue anywhere. In the unlikely event you do, spray water on
              the spot, wait 15 minutes, work it in with a brush and respray with alcohol.
              Don't forget to clean the track well with a bright-boy, etc.

              15. Many months later. To remove the track to add a turnout, etc. just
              flood the area between the rails with water. Wait 15 minutes. Apply slight
              pressure side-to-side on the track and it will come up. Use water and
              patience, not force, to release the track. Put the track in the top basket
              of your dishwasher and wash it (no heat dry cycle, please). It will be in
              "store" condition when it comes out.

              Other things to consider:

              NEVER glue down a turnout. Keep glues of any kind well away from them.
              Cover the turnout with tape to insure accidental spills don't occur.

              If you apply ballast with a watery 60/40 water/glue, the track is still
              removable in the future. Just be reminded to re-push-pin the track while the
              ballast operation is going on, since all that water will partially loosen the
              track.

              Some brands of white glue are really thick. If you have one of those brands,
              increase the water by 10% so the solution is watery and flows easily, never
              gummy.

              When pulling track out, we consider cork "expendable" since its $9 (or less)
              for 75 feet. Track is always recovered. Use a wood chisel to get the cork
              up from the plywood.

              Why not try this method on 6 inches of track on a piece of scrap wood first,
              to work out the learning curve, and verify its the method you prefer?

              Hope this helps.
              Bill Kronenberger
              Houston