Re: [z_scale] Re: RENT-A-LOK or RENT-A-WHOLE TRAIN

  • D. A. Karp
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 2, 2001
      Hi all,

      Just a few note for those in the US buying from Europe... I've found
      shipping from the UK or the Netherlands to be perfectly reasonable, both in
      cost and timeliness. Shipping to and from Germany, on the other hand, can
      get very expensive.

      Here's a hint, both for US buyers and German sellers: use uninsured
      small-packet (unversichertes Päckchen). It's about a third of the cost as
      standard shipping (~$10 versus ~$35), and is much, much faster (~1 week
      versus ~1 month).

      -David

      http://www.creativelement.com/z/
    • obin69@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 3, 2001
        Hi,

        Packages entering the UK from the States attract Tax at 17.5% if the
        stated value of the article, on the green customs form, exceeds £18.
        Checking the 'gift' box will perhaps dissuade the customs from
        looking too closely.

        Small packets usually take 4-6 days.

        Peter

      • td25scorpio@ntlworld.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 3, 2001
          --- In z_scale@y..., "D. A. Karp" <z@c...> wrote:
          > Hi all,
          >
          > Just a few note for those in the US buying from Europe... I've
          found
          > shipping from the UK or the Netherlands to be perfectly reasonable,
          both in
          > cost and timeliness. Shipping to and from Germany, on the other
          hand, can
          > get very expensive.
          >
          > Here's a hint, both for US buyers and German sellers: use uninsured
          > small-packet (unversichertes Päckchen). It's about a third of the
          cost as
          > standard shipping (~$10 versus ~$35), and is much, much faster (~1
          week
          > versus ~1 month).
          >
          > -David

          > http://www.creativelement.com/z/

          Hi David and z fans

          interestingly enough, i asked a US seller if you ahve small paket
          service over there, and he replied no.
          but it does exist in the US then ?
          regards
          simon
        • D. A. Karp
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 3, 2001
            Simon,

            We in the USA have a bunch of different options, and they depend on the
            destination, weight, and whether or not you need to insure the
            package. For example, what used to be called "small packet" is now
            "airmail letter post" (IFAIK). If you want insurance, however, you need to
            use the more expensive "airmail parcel post." We also have Global Priority
            Mail, but that's only for flat items (such as catalogs). The full range is
            listed at http://ircalc.usps.gov/

            -David

            At 09:31 PM 9/3/2001 +0000, you wrote:
            >Hi David and z fans
            >
            > interestingly enough, i asked a US seller if you ahve small paket
            >service over there, and he replied no.
            > but it does exist in the US then ?
            > regards
            >simon

            http://www.creativelement.com/z/
          • Helmut Paule
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 3, 2001
              there should be no tax on Trains & associated parts!
              I import from Germany for the last 4 Years...no $ limit !
              also priority Mail Germany to Florida 10 - 12 Days
              depending on Parcel size (postage $ 8.00 to 25.00)
              regular parcel can take up to 4-6 weeks ( 4.00 to 12.00)

              So, check with your Customs office !

              "Z" Greetings