Re: RENT-A-LOK or RENT-A-WHOLE TRAIN (Simon wrote;)

  • td25scorpio@ntlworld.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 1, 2001
      --- In z_scale@y..., CH Bahn <chbahn@y...> wrote:
      > Simon wrote:
      >
      > Hi Bill
      >
      > you have made a good point here regarding buying and selling after
      > use , but one thing i must pull you up on, is,
      > "The only problem I have found is buying an item from a European
      > seller
      > > on ebay, the shipping can get a little expensive".
      > i think this is an unfair comment, as USA sellers can be just as
      bad.
      > i can personally ship from the UK to the USA cheaper than i see
      most
      > USA sellers charge for USA to USA transactions.
      > admittedly some sellers (all round the world)hike up there profit
      > with the shipping fees, but its unfair to band all of europe in
      that
      > group.
      > recent examples are (all to USA destinations), any individual
      > Lok/engine UK to USA $4,
      > 3 x cars (of any size) $4, 4 marklin plastic kits $5.OH and these
      was
      > all insured postage for that price as well.
      > all of which i think are very reasonable shipping costs.
      > another point to note is that we in europe can usually sell to
      USA,
      > NEW items including shipping ,cheaper than you can buy them
      stateside
      > anyway, so any prospective buyer from europe must consider this
      > before purchasing.
      > yes you will get someone who wants the USA retail price for there
      6
      > month old european item, but i guess most buyers will spot this
      from
      > the advert/description and location.
      > i guess what im trying to say, is look around ebay, check the
      prices
      > compared with your local store, ask the seller the shipping cost
      > before bidding, and dont judge ALL sellers the same, some give
      better
      > service than others, some have repeat business away from ebay due
      > there cheap prices.
      > apart from that one piece , i agree with your post entirely
      > regarding Rent as opposed to buy .
      > best wishes
      > simon ahoooga on ebay
      >
      > - - - - -
      >
      > Hello Simon,
      >
      > I did not mean to imply that European sellers were inflating the
      cost
      > of shipping. It is just that shipping from some countries to the
      US,
      > especially insured air mail can be very expensive.
      >
      > From what you wrote, I would gather that you are a dealer. I don't
      > think I know of any internet dealers in the UK. Where would be a
      good
      > place to find a list of UK dealers selling Z?
      >
      > Bill

      Messenger
      > http://im.yahoo.com

      Hi Bill

      i know you didnt mean that, no worrys, but i wanted to correct any
      possible confusion to anyone reading this post, maybe people who
      didnt read the first part of it.
      regarding z in the uk, its fairly limited im afraid. i know of only
      2 sites on the net from the UK, 1 being the main importer, and
      another one i have been told of but never used myself.either way,
      there prices are higher than the normal ebay ones for new items.
      (just shows what importers make out of these little commoditys)
      im not actually a dealer as such. just an individual who thinks
      everyone should benefit from cheaper prices for Z scale.
      i take the point on shipping that you made , and as you can tell by
      my 1st reply, i thoroughly agree with you.
      i will in the near future be putting shipping costs on every one of
      my ads in ebay, but as theres so many destinations around the world
      since the internet took off here in europe, the Shipping costs vary
      from country to country, but im going to put the "average" shipping
      cost in each ad.
      curiosity, what would be an average shipping cost for a single lok
      from USA to europe ? the return fee from UK is about $3-$4.
      best wishes and regards
      simon
    • WILLIAM AND BARBARA BROCK
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 4, 2001
        Simon,
        Most of the items if not all the items you sell on
        ebay, I can find new and cheaper (main stream
        manufactures other than Marklin), and Marklin items I
        can buy from Germany much cheaper. I do buy a
        reasonably large amount from my German contact, but
        shipping is 'free'. So I am not convinced of your
        point. I do definitely agree that "shipping" or
        "shipping and handling" charges by a lot of eBay
        sellers are preposterous. Thanks,
        Will

        =====
        WILLIAM BROCK

        http://im.yahoo.com
      • ahellary
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 4, 2001
          please share your contact
> [...]
          > > commoditys)
          > > im not actually a dealer as such. just an
          > > individual who thinks
          > > everyone should benefit from cheaper prices for Z
          > > scale.
          > > i take the point on shipping that you made , and as
          > > you can tell by
          > > my 1st reply, i thoroughly agree with you.
          > > i will in the near future be putting shipping costs
          > > on every one of
          > > my ads in ebay, but as theres so many destinations
          > > around the world
          > > since the internet took off here in europe, the
          > > Shipping costs vary
          > > from country to country, but im going to put the
          > > "average" shipping
          > > cost in each ad.
          > > curiosity, what would be an average shipping cost
          > > for a single lok
          > > from USA to europe ? the return fee from UK is about

          Messenger

        • td25scorpio@ntlworld.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 5, 2001
            Will

            i think you missed the line >"i can personally ship from the UK to
            the USA....."<......i never mentioned Germany .
            as for your shipping being Free, i find this hard to take in.you can
            rest assured that your "Free" shipping from Germany is either hidden
            within your total cost, unless your contact is genuinly not charging
            you and paying the cost himself out of his profit margin which must
            be in excess of the "actual" postage charge.
            this is based on the way the German post system works , and the
            German way of doing business
            as a lot of my non-Marklin items come direct from the manufacturer,
            and not thru a 3rd party ie;dealer/warehouse ,i cant see how you buy
            them cheaper, unless of coarse a seller is taking a loss on an
            item...?
            However, everyone is entitled to buy from where they choose, and
            competition amongst sellers is the best possible thing that can
            happen for buyers.
            my whole aim is to supply fellow Z scalers with items cheaper than
            they can normally buy, as i know for fact that people in the USA are
            being stung by importers !!!, like wise the UK importer does exactly
            the same , hence i decided to bypass them via ebay.
            a point to note here, is many of my USA buyers come back and often
            thank me for putting items and prices cheaper than they can find in
            the States.
            you do say though >"So I am not convinced of your point."<

            can you be more specific on which point you meant please ?
            regards
            simon

            --- In z_scale@y..., WILLIAM AND BARBARA BROCK <wbbrock_2000@y...>
            wrote:
> [...]
            > > commoditys)
            > > im not actually a dealer as such. just an
            > > individual who thinks
            > > everyone should benefit from cheaper prices for Z
            > > scale.
            > > i take the point on shipping that you made , and as
            > > you can tell by
            > > my 1st reply, i thoroughly agree with you.
            > > i will in the near future be putting shipping costs
            > > on every one of
            > > my ads in ebay, but as theres so many destinations
            > > around the world
            > > since the internet took off here in europe, the
            > > Shipping costs vary
            > > from country to country, but im going to put the
            > > "average" shipping
            > > cost in each ad.
            > > curiosity, what would be an average shipping cost
            > > for a single lok
            > > from USA to europe ? the return fee from UK is about

            Messenger
            > http://im.yahoo.com
          • WILLIAM AND BARBARA BROCK
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 10, 2001
              Simon,
              I am glad you feel you are "helping fellow Z scalers"
              by offering prices direct, but I am sure you are not
              doing it free, especially since I have found a US
              company with cheaper prices. This company that
              provides the main stream Z scale products, such as
              Faller, Kibri, Vollmer etc. can be found on the
              website of www.discount-train.com. The German contact
              for Marklin products is Gunter Fortkord. And I never
              missed that you are in the UK, yet the best prices I
              have found are in Germany and the US. And an eBay
              seller in the Netherlands also sells some items at a
              very good price. So the point I am making is so far I
              have found you do not have the cheapest prices and
              therefore, have not bidded on the items you offer on
              eBay. If you feel you can meet or beat these prices,
              please let me know as 'competition amongst sellers is
              the best possible thing that can happen for buyers'.
              My intention is not to offend anybody, yet I could not
              allow boasting without letting the facts I know about
              being made known. Thanks and

              Best Regards,
              Will Brock

              === message truncated ===

              =====
              WILLIAM BROCK

              http://im.yahoo.com
            • td25scorpio@ntlworld.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 11, 2001
                Hi Will

                now i see what you point you meant (it was not to clear in your first)
                it was never my intention to "Boast" about my prices, far from it.
                my original point was to do with the "differance in cost of
                postage/shipping" after it was mentioned that shipping from europe
                was very expensive. all i intended was to reassure prospective USA
                buyers, that not everywhere in Europe was costly for shipping.this
                was the original point, however, you fired one back at me by saying
                all my items on ebay can be found cheaper in the USA, hence my last
                reply.

                I have looked at Discount trains.com, ( as i have done several
                months ago)and i understand they are a well respected company, but i
                have checked several prices over the time, and normally they are
                dearer, yes, sometimes they are cheaper no doubt, but as an
                individual i have to include the Tax in the UK/europe, if i was a
                company then i could sort out the non-UK resident tax for buyers, and
                be a bit cheaper (theres honesty for you).
                now having studied some of the mnaufacturers prices they list at
                discount-trains.com, i agree, some of them ARE cheaper,HOWEVER, its
                well less than 40% of the items!!!

                i have just read back thru all my previous posts to do with this
                subject , and , as i thought, NEVER did i CLAIM or BRAG or BOAST that
                i was the "Cheapest" for Z items . I Did say
                >"i can personally ship from the UK to the USA cheaper than i see
                most
                USA sellers charge for USA to USA transactions."< emphassis on the
                word "SHIP"

                i also asked politely "and dont judge ALL sellers the same" , which
                i think most buyers of Z know anyway.

                i note that you have twisted a few phrases i used previously like
                >by offering prices direct< whereas i ACTUALLLY said "items come
                direct from the manufacturer" i never mentioned i was selling at the
                price i buy , YOU did. obviously i inccur ebays costs and commision.

                also your opening lines of
                > I am glad you feel you are "helping fellow Z scalers"
                > by offering prices direct, but I am sure you are not
                > doing it free,<

                Who Mentioned prices direct,and doing it for free ????? it wasnt me .

                there are a few sellers in Germany,Netherlands and the US who are
                respected and ARE cheaper than me , but then , I NEVER SAID THERE
                WASNT, again, this is something you came out with.

                your reply about "the main point" says
                >So the point I am making is so far I
                > have found you do not have the cheapest prices < again, this is not
                what i originally said. i ACTUALLY said
                >we in europe can
                > > usually sell to
                > > USA,
                > > > NEW items including shipping ,cheaper than you can
                > > buy them
                > > stateside <

                Emphasis on the word "USUALLY" .I never said everytime, or garanteed
                or anything like that.
                Yes, you have correctly pointed out that theres a site that has SOME
                items cheaper in the states, but at the same time i read some of your
                comments as being a personal attack on me, with comments like,
                >"Most of the items if not all the items you sell on
                ebay, I can find new and cheaper "<
                well some you probably can and others you probably cant, but to make
                a statement like that in here is a bit naughty when not all your
                facts are correct.
                Dont take this personally, as its not intended to be personal, i
                would gladly sell items to you if you wanted and indeed anyone else,
                but dont try and stop other people buying from me with statements
                like the above one. i took that personally
                best regards

                wrote:
> [...]
                > > you do say though >"So I am not convinced of your
                > > point."<
                > >
                > > can you be more specific on which point you meant
                > > please ?
                > > regards
                > > simon
                > >

                > > --- In z_scale@y..., WILLIAM AND BARBARA BROCK
                > > <wbbrock_2000@y...>
                > > wrote:
                > > > Simon,
                > > > Most of the items if not all the items you sell on
                > > > ebay, I can find new and cheaper (main stream
                > > > manufactures other than Marklin), and Marklin
                > > items I
                > > > can buy from Germany much cheaper. I do buy a
                > > > reasonably large amount from my German contact,
                > > but
                > > > shipping is 'free'. So I am not convinced of your
                > > > point. I do definitely agree that "shipping" or
                > > > "shipping and handling" charges by a lot of eBay

                Messenger