RENT-A-LOK or RENT-A-WHOLE TRAIN (Simon wrote;)

  • CH Bahn
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 1, 2001
      Simon wrote:

      Hi Bill

      you have made a good point here regarding buying and selling after
      use , but one thing i must pull you up on, is,
      "The only problem I have found is buying an item from a European
      seller
      > on ebay, the shipping can get a little expensive".
      i think this is an unfair comment, as USA sellers can be just as bad.
      i can personally ship from the UK to the USA cheaper than i see most
      USA sellers charge for USA to USA transactions.
      admittedly some sellers (all round the world)hike up there profit
      with the shipping fees, but its unfair to band all of europe in that
      group.
      recent examples are (all to USA destinations), any individual
      Lok/engine UK to USA $4,
      3 x cars (of any size) $4, 4 marklin plastic kits $5.OH and these was
      all insured postage for that price as well.
      all of which i think are very reasonable shipping costs.
      another point to note is that we in europe can usually sell to USA,
      NEW items including shipping ,cheaper than you can buy them stateside
      anyway, so any prospective buyer from europe must consider this
      before purchasing.
      yes you will get someone who wants the USA retail price for there 6
      month old european item, but i guess most buyers will spot this from
      the advert/description and location.
      i guess what im trying to say, is look around ebay, check the prices
      compared with your local store, ask the seller the shipping cost
      before bidding, and dont judge ALL sellers the same, some give better
      service than others, some have repeat business away from ebay due to
      there cheap prices.
      apart from that one piece , i agree with your post entirely
      regarding Rent as opposed to buy .
      best wishes
      simon ahoooga on ebay

      - - - - -

      Hello Simon,

      I did not mean to imply that European sellers were inflating the cost
      of shipping. It is just that shipping from some countries to the US,
      especially insured air mail can be very expensive.

      From what you wrote, I would gather that you are a dealer. I don't
      think I know of any internet dealers in the UK. Where would be a good
      place to find a list of UK dealers selling Z?

      Bill

      http://im.yahoo.com
    • td25scorpio@ntlworld.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 1, 2001
        --- In z_scale@y..., CH Bahn <chbahn@y...> wrote:
        > Simon wrote:
        >
        > Hi Bill
        >
        > you have made a good point here regarding buying and selling after
        > use , but one thing i must pull you up on, is,
        > "The only problem I have found is buying an item from a European
        > seller
        > > on ebay, the shipping can get a little expensive".
        > i think this is an unfair comment, as USA sellers can be just as
        bad.
        > i can personally ship from the UK to the USA cheaper than i see
        most
        > USA sellers charge for USA to USA transactions.
        > admittedly some sellers (all round the world)hike up there profit
        > with the shipping fees, but its unfair to band all of europe in
        that
        > group.
        > recent examples are (all to USA destinations), any individual
        > Lok/engine UK to USA $4,
        > 3 x cars (of any size) $4, 4 marklin plastic kits $5.OH and these
        was
        > all insured postage for that price as well.
        > all of which i think are very reasonable shipping costs.
        > another point to note is that we in europe can usually sell to
        USA,
        > NEW items including shipping ,cheaper than you can buy them
        stateside
        > anyway, so any prospective buyer from europe must consider this
        > before purchasing.
        > yes you will get someone who wants the USA retail price for there
        6
        > month old european item, but i guess most buyers will spot this
        from
        > the advert/description and location.
        > i guess what im trying to say, is look around ebay, check the
        prices
        > compared with your local store, ask the seller the shipping cost
        > before bidding, and dont judge ALL sellers the same, some give
        better
        > service than others, some have repeat business away from ebay due
        > there cheap prices.
        > apart from that one piece , i agree with your post entirely
        > regarding Rent as opposed to buy .
        > best wishes
        > simon ahoooga on ebay
        >
        > - - - - -
        >
        > Hello Simon,
        >
        > I did not mean to imply that European sellers were inflating the
        cost
        > of shipping. It is just that shipping from some countries to the
        US,
        > especially insured air mail can be very expensive.
        >
        > From what you wrote, I would gather that you are a dealer. I don't
        > think I know of any internet dealers in the UK. Where would be a
        good
        > place to find a list of UK dealers selling Z?
        >
        > Bill

        Messenger
        > http://im.yahoo.com

        Hi Bill

        i know you didnt mean that, no worrys, but i wanted to correct any
        possible confusion to anyone reading this post, maybe people who
        didnt read the first part of it.
        regarding z in the uk, its fairly limited im afraid. i know of only
        2 sites on the net from the UK, 1 being the main importer, and
        another one i have been told of but never used myself.either way,
        there prices are higher than the normal ebay ones for new items.
        (just shows what importers make out of these little commoditys)
        im not actually a dealer as such. just an individual who thinks
        everyone should benefit from cheaper prices for Z scale.
        i take the point on shipping that you made , and as you can tell by
        my 1st reply, i thoroughly agree with you.
        i will in the near future be putting shipping costs on every one of
        my ads in ebay, but as theres so many destinations around the world
        since the internet took off here in europe, the Shipping costs vary
        from country to country, but im going to put the "average" shipping
        cost in each ad.
        curiosity, what would be an average shipping cost for a single lok
        from USA to europe ? the return fee from UK is about $3-$4.
        best wishes and regards
        simon
      • WILLIAM AND BARBARA BROCK
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 4, 2001
          Simon,
          Most of the items if not all the items you sell on
          ebay, I can find new and cheaper (main stream
          manufactures other than Marklin), and Marklin items I
          can buy from Germany much cheaper. I do buy a
          reasonably large amount from my German contact, but
          shipping is 'free'. So I am not convinced of your
          point. I do definitely agree that "shipping" or
          "shipping and handling" charges by a lot of eBay
          sellers are preposterous. Thanks,
          Will

          =====
          WILLIAM BROCK

          http://im.yahoo.com
        • ahellary
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 4, 2001
            please share your contact
> [...]
            > > commoditys)
            > > im not actually a dealer as such. just an
            > > individual who thinks
            > > everyone should benefit from cheaper prices for Z
            > > scale.
            > > i take the point on shipping that you made , and as
            > > you can tell by
            > > my 1st reply, i thoroughly agree with you.
            > > i will in the near future be putting shipping costs
            > > on every one of
            > > my ads in ebay, but as theres so many destinations
            > > around the world
            > > since the internet took off here in europe, the
            > > Shipping costs vary
            > > from country to country, but im going to put the
            > > "average" shipping
            > > cost in each ad.
            > > curiosity, what would be an average shipping cost
            > > for a single lok
            > > from USA to europe ? the return fee from UK is about

            Messenger

          • td25scorpio@ntlworld.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 5, 2001
              Will

              i think you missed the line >"i can personally ship from the UK to
              the USA....."<......i never mentioned Germany .
              as for your shipping being Free, i find this hard to take in.you can
              rest assured that your "Free" shipping from Germany is either hidden
              within your total cost, unless your contact is genuinly not charging
              you and paying the cost himself out of his profit margin which must
              be in excess of the "actual" postage charge.
              this is based on the way the German post system works , and the
              German way of doing business
              as a lot of my non-Marklin items come direct from the manufacturer,
              and not thru a 3rd party ie;dealer/warehouse ,i cant see how you buy
              them cheaper, unless of coarse a seller is taking a loss on an
              item...?
              However, everyone is entitled to buy from where they choose, and
              competition amongst sellers is the best possible thing that can
              happen for buyers.
              my whole aim is to supply fellow Z scalers with items cheaper than
              they can normally buy, as i know for fact that people in the USA are
              being stung by importers !!!, like wise the UK importer does exactly
              the same , hence i decided to bypass them via ebay.
              a point to note here, is many of my USA buyers come back and often
              thank me for putting items and prices cheaper than they can find in
              the States.
              you do say though >"So I am not convinced of your point."<

              can you be more specific on which point you meant please ?
              regards
              simon

              --- In z_scale@y..., WILLIAM AND BARBARA BROCK <wbbrock_2000@y...>
              wrote:
> [...]
              > > commoditys)
              > > im not actually a dealer as such. just an
              > > individual who thinks
              > > everyone should benefit from cheaper prices for Z
              > > scale.
              > > i take the point on shipping that you made , and as
              > > you can tell by
              > > my 1st reply, i thoroughly agree with you.
              > > i will in the near future be putting shipping costs
              > > on every one of
              > > my ads in ebay, but as theres so many destinations
              > > around the world
              > > since the internet took off here in europe, the
              > > Shipping costs vary
              > > from country to country, but im going to put the
              > > "average" shipping
              > > cost in each ad.
              > > curiosity, what would be an average shipping cost
              > > for a single lok
              > > from USA to europe ? the return fee from UK is about

              Messenger
              > http://im.yahoo.com
            • WILLIAM AND BARBARA BROCK
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 10, 2001
                Simon,
                I am glad you feel you are "helping fellow Z scalers"
                by offering prices direct, but I am sure you are not
                doing it free, especially since I have found a US
                company with cheaper prices. This company that
                provides the main stream Z scale products, such as
                Faller, Kibri, Vollmer etc. can be found on the
                website of www.discount-train.com. The German contact
                for Marklin products is Gunter Fortkord. And I never
                missed that you are in the UK, yet the best prices I
                have found are in Germany and the US. And an eBay
                seller in the Netherlands also sells some items at a
                very good price. So the point I am making is so far I
                have found you do not have the cheapest prices and
                therefore, have not bidded on the items you offer on
                eBay. If you feel you can meet or beat these prices,
                please let me know as 'competition amongst sellers is
                the best possible thing that can happen for buyers'.
                My intention is not to offend anybody, yet I could not
                allow boasting without letting the facts I know about
                being made known. Thanks and

                Best Regards,
                Will Brock

                === message truncated ===

                =====
                WILLIAM BROCK

                http://im.yahoo.com
              • td25scorpio@ntlworld.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 11, 2001
                  Hi Will

                  now i see what you point you meant (it was not to clear in your first)
                  it was never my intention to "Boast" about my prices, far from it.
                  my original point was to do with the "differance in cost of
                  postage/shipping" after it was mentioned that shipping from europe
                  was very expensive. all i intended was to reassure prospective USA
                  buyers, that not everywhere in Europe was costly for shipping.this
                  was the original point, however, you fired one back at me by saying
                  all my items on ebay can be found cheaper in the USA, hence my last
                  reply.

                  I have looked at Discount trains.com, ( as i have done several
                  months ago)and i understand they are a well respected company, but i
                  have checked several prices over the time, and normally they are
                  dearer, yes, sometimes they are cheaper no doubt, but as an
                  individual i have to include the Tax in the UK/europe, if i was a
                  company then i could sort out the non-UK resident tax for buyers, and
                  be a bit cheaper (theres honesty for you).
                  now having studied some of the mnaufacturers prices they list at
                  discount-trains.com, i agree, some of them ARE cheaper,HOWEVER, its
                  well less than 40% of the items!!!

                  i have just read back thru all my previous posts to do with this
                  subject , and , as i thought, NEVER did i CLAIM or BRAG or BOAST that
                  i was the "Cheapest" for Z items . I Did say
                  >"i can personally ship from the UK to the USA cheaper than i see
                  most
                  USA sellers charge for USA to USA transactions."< emphassis on the
                  word "SHIP"

                  i also asked politely "and dont judge ALL sellers the same" , which
                  i think most buyers of Z know anyway.

                  i note that you have twisted a few phrases i used previously like
                  >by offering prices direct< whereas i ACTUALLLY said "items come
                  direct from the manufacturer" i never mentioned i was selling at the
                  price i buy , YOU did. obviously i inccur ebays costs and commision.

                  also your opening lines of
                  > I am glad you feel you are "helping fellow Z scalers"
                  > by offering prices direct, but I am sure you are not
                  > doing it free,<

                  Who Mentioned prices direct,and doing it for free ????? it wasnt me .

                  there are a few sellers in Germany,Netherlands and the US who are
                  respected and ARE cheaper than me , but then , I NEVER SAID THERE
                  WASNT, again, this is something you came out with.

                  your reply about "the main point" says
                  >So the point I am making is so far I
                  > have found you do not have the cheapest prices < again, this is not
                  what i originally said. i ACTUALLY said
                  >we in europe can
                  > > usually sell to
                  > > USA,
                  > > > NEW items including shipping ,cheaper than you can
                  > > buy them
                  > > stateside <

                  Emphasis on the word "USUALLY" .I never said everytime, or garanteed
                  or anything like that.
                  Yes, you have correctly pointed out that theres a site that has SOME
                  items cheaper in the states, but at the same time i read some of your
                  comments as being a personal attack on me, with comments like,
                  >"Most of the items if not all the items you sell on
                  ebay, I can find new and cheaper "<
                  well some you probably can and others you probably cant, but to make
                  a statement like that in here is a bit naughty when not all your
                  facts are correct.
                  Dont take this personally, as its not intended to be personal, i
                  would gladly sell items to you if you wanted and indeed anyone else,
                  but dont try and stop other people buying from me with statements
                  like the above one. i took that personally
                  best regards

                  wrote:
> [...]
                  > > you do say though >"So I am not convinced of your
                  > > point."<
                  > >
                  > > can you be more specific on which point you meant
                  > > please ?
                  > > regards
                  > > simon
                  > >

                  > > --- In z_scale@y..., WILLIAM AND BARBARA BROCK
                  > > <wbbrock_2000@y...>
                  > > wrote:
                  > > > Simon,
                  > > > Most of the items if not all the items you sell on
                  > > > ebay, I can find new and cheaper (main stream
                  > > > manufactures other than Marklin), and Marklin
                  > > items I
                  > > > can buy from Germany much cheaper. I do buy a
                  > > > reasonably large amount from my German contact,
                  > > but
                  > > > shipping is 'free'. So I am not convinced of your
                  > > > point. I do definitely agree that "shipping" or
                  > > > "shipping and handling" charges by a lot of eBay

                  Messenger