International transactions & US Banks (was rent-a-lok)

  • CH Bahn
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2001
      It makes it difficult not using CC but that's my choice.
      Fortunately UK and German sellers accept Australian personal
      cheques without a problem but I have yet to find a US seller that will.
      Some won't even accept an International Money Order in US funds.
      I was going to do a wire transfer once but my bank wanted to charge
      $35 for a $70 transfer :-(

      Regards, Bob

      - - - - -

      Bob,

      The thing you must understand is that US banks just love to GOUGE (and
      that is putting it mildly) customers for any type of international
      transaction.

      Where, international transactions are the norm in Europe, they are the
      exception in the US and banks take advantage of that situation.

      Bill

      http://im.yahoo.com
    • Bob Byrne
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 1, 2001
        > It makes it difficult not using CC but that's my choice.
        > Fortunately UK and German sellers accept Australian personal
        > cheques without a problem but I have yet to find a US seller that will.
        > Some won't even accept an International Money Order in US funds.
        > I was going to do a wire transfer once but my bank wanted to charge
        > $35 for a $70 transfer :-(
        >
        > Regards, Bob

        > Bob,
        >
        > The thing you must understand is that US banks just love to GOUGE (and
        > that is putting it mildly) customers for any type of international
        > transaction.
        >
        > Where, international transactions are the norm in Europe, they are the
        > exception in the US and banks take advantage of that situation.
        >
        > Bill

        I'm waiting for the day ALL transfers can be done over the Net.
        Locally it's great, now the Net is so popular. I do most of my buying
        via Internet Banking using direct deposit or BPay and it's free :-)

        --
        Regards, Bob