Re: [z_scale] Re: RENT-A-LOK or RENT-A-WHOLE TRAIN

  • Bob Byrne
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 31, 2001
      > > I won't use credit card transactions over the Net and other forms
      > of payment are
      > > not available here. German banks don't seem to charge as much as
      > UK banks
      > > for transfers but it's still expensive. I opt to gradually build a
      > list of items I want
      > > and buy everything in one hit direct from previous eBay sellers I
      > have dealt with.

      > I thought I was the only non-CC guy on ebay! I have had an item or
      > two that's SH tripled the final bid price and had to eat the cost. It
      > takes away from the enjoyment a lot, I try to put the SH cost up
      > front, it is important to ask if it is not posted in description.

      It makes it difficult not using CC but that's my choice.
      Fortunately UK and German sellers accept Australian personal
      cheques without a problem but I have yet to find a US seller that will.
      Some won't even accept an International Money Order in US funds.
      I was going to do a wire transfer once but my bank wanted to charge
      $35 for a $70 transfer :-(

      --
      Regards, Bob
    • D. A. Karp
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 2, 2001
        Hi all,

        Just a few note for those in the US buying from Europe... I've found
        shipping from the UK or the Netherlands to be perfectly reasonable, both in
        cost and timeliness. Shipping to and from Germany, on the other hand, can
        get very expensive.

        Here's a hint, both for US buyers and German sellers: use uninsured
        small-packet (unversichertes Päckchen). It's about a third of the cost as
        standard shipping (~$10 versus ~$35), and is much, much faster (~1 week
        versus ~1 month).

        -David

        http://www.creativelement.com/z/
      • obin69@hotmail.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 3, 2001
          Hi,

          Packages entering the UK from the States attract Tax at 17.5% if the
          stated value of the article, on the green customs form, exceeds £18.
          Checking the 'gift' box will perhaps dissuade the customs from
          looking too closely.

          Small packets usually take 4-6 days.

          Peter

        • td25scorpio@ntlworld.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 3, 2001
            --- In z_scale@y..., "D. A. Karp" <z@c...> wrote:
            > Hi all,
            >
            > Just a few note for those in the US buying from Europe... I've
            found
            > shipping from the UK or the Netherlands to be perfectly reasonable,
            both in
            > cost and timeliness. Shipping to and from Germany, on the other
            hand, can
            > get very expensive.
            >
            > Here's a hint, both for US buyers and German sellers: use uninsured
            > small-packet (unversichertes Päckchen). It's about a third of the
            cost as
            > standard shipping (~$10 versus ~$35), and is much, much faster (~1
            week
            > versus ~1 month).
            >
            > -David

            > http://www.creativelement.com/z/

            Hi David and z fans

            interestingly enough, i asked a US seller if you ahve small paket
            service over there, and he replied no.
            but it does exist in the US then ?
            regards
            simon
          • D. A. Karp
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 3, 2001
              Simon,

              We in the USA have a bunch of different options, and they depend on the
              destination, weight, and whether or not you need to insure the
              package. For example, what used to be called "small packet" is now
              "airmail letter post" (IFAIK). If you want insurance, however, you need to
              use the more expensive "airmail parcel post." We also have Global Priority
              Mail, but that's only for flat items (such as catalogs). The full range is
              listed at http://ircalc.usps.gov/

              -David

              At 09:31 PM 9/3/2001 +0000, you wrote:
              >Hi David and z fans
              >
              > interestingly enough, i asked a US seller if you ahve small paket
              >service over there, and he replied no.
              > but it does exist in the US then ?
              > regards
              >simon

              http://www.creativelement.com/z/
            • Helmut Paule
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 3, 2001
                there should be no tax on Trains & associated parts!
                I import from Germany for the last 4 Years...no $ limit !
                also priority Mail Germany to Florida 10 - 12 Days
                depending on Parcel size (postage $ 8.00 to 25.00)
                regular parcel can take up to 4-6 weeks ( 4.00 to 12.00)

                So, check with your Customs office !

                "Z" Greetings