Re: [Z_Scale] What happened to the power?

  • Loren
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 2, 2009
      Matthew,
      If your speaker wire is the clear sheathed kind you might find at Radio
      Shack or some electronics store, then your speaker wire is good enough to
      power anything you may have in Z scale.

      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 3, 2009
        >I've been reading other responses to this and I am thinking that the >problem could in fact be at my loops. They are running off the same power >as the rest of the layout and it does make sense that I'm trying to feed >the power back into itself through the turnouts. They are not insulated >or isolated in any way.

        So if I've properly understood that's it: without any isolation the (+) rail comes back on the (-) stockrail, thus the short. In my opinion you should cut a gap on each rail leaving the turnout, straight and curve (thus 4 gaps as a total), and feed the loop with an inverter that allows to change polarity when the train comes back to the turnout.

        Dom
      • Edward Scullin
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 3, 2009
          MattThe wire is not the problem.  The reversing loops must be isolated.  I  do not know where the actual placement of the isolating gaps should be. There others here that can help you.Ed ScullinRoanoke VA

          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 3, 2009
            Yes thanks Ed. I solved the problem of my loops by disconnection one section of track in each loops. My engines now run at the speeds they were intended to. Now all I have to so is insulate and attache wire and controller boxes for each hoop to transfer power.

            To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
            From: sculline@...
            Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2009 07:26:43 -0700

            MattThe wire is not the problem. The reversing loops must be isolated. I do not know where the actual placement of the isolating gaps should be. There others here that can help you.Ed ScullinRoanoke VA

            I've been reading other responses to this and I am thinking that the problem could in fact be at my loops. They are running off the same power as the rest of the layout and it does make sense that I'm trying to feed the power back into itself through the turnouts. They are not insulated or isolated in any way. As for the speaker wire, I have no idea what gauge it is, my son gave it too me months ago and said it would be perfect for my layout. Maybe I should get different wire?

          • Matthew Parker
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 3, 2009
              Yes you've got it. I was thinking along the same lines so I went out today and purchased a twin contol box for loops and it gives complete instalation instructions on the back, but instead of cutting gaps in the rails is show using insulated joiners. But I can get them here. So I guess cutting the gaps will work the same way as the joiners. I just have to follow the directions on the back of the package. That reminds me, I have to pick up some more wire.

              To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
              From: ddechamp71@...
              Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2009 13:53:36 +0000

              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 3, 2009
                Thankyou Loren for that. I was so hoping that my son was right about speaker wire being all that I needed herre. Yes it is the clear sheathed stuff.

                To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com