Bethgon question

  • Robert R Harmen, D.D.S.
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 1, 2009
      I gather the AZL bethgons are out there. Wondering how they look and has anyone posted any photos? Searching for info, I see they come only in sets, but how many to a set? I would love to have one in the fleet if anyone has "one too many".

      Thanks

      Robert
    • ztrack@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 3, 2009
        Robert,

        Yes, the AZL Bethgons are definitely out there and running on layouts.
        First, you can find photos, product numbers and roadnumbers in each set at:

        http://www.ztrack.com/AZL/amerzlines_bethgons.html

        There are four cars in each set. AZL has released three runner packs for
        each roadname except CHTT of which only two runner packs were released. I am
        not sure which roadname you are interested in, but only the third set of the
        NS is available. AZL is also sold completely out of the BNSF coal porters.
        These were highly popular. Supplies of the CSX are low, but all three sets
        are available. We do have all sets available for Contrail, UP and CHTT.

        These sets are available through authorized AZL dealers.

        Rob Kluz

        Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
        6142 Northcliff Blvd.
        Dublin, OH 43016
        phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
        www.ztrack.com
        www.ztrackcenter.com
        Distributor American Z Line

      • Don A
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 3, 2009
          Robert:

          They look and sound [metal wheels] good - couplers are a pain unless you keep them coupled as a group all the time. Try Loren for quantities from 1 on up. Not sure if Anthony is breaking up bundles any more although he did at one time.

          ...don

          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Robert R Harmen, D.D.S." <unitcoaltrains@...> wrote:

          > I gather the AZL bethgons are out there. Wondering how they look and has anyone posted any photos? Searching for info, I see they come only in sets, but how many to a set? I would love to have one in the fleet if anyone has "one too many".
          >
          > Thanks
          >
          > Robert

        • Robert Ray
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 3, 2009
            The BNSF AZL Bethgons set in my opinion, a new benchmark for Z Scale rolling stock to achieve. The printing is very crisp and well defined, including printing on the top lip of the gondola. No overspray was visible anywhere.

            And as far a rolling ability? This is where these cars really shine... While the Norfolk Southern cars released earlier were ok, the BNSF and later releases used a super rolling truck that made the cars almost act like a momentum source!

            If you put 4 of these cars on a 2 foot piece of flextrack, and push them back and forth, they thump with Authority when your finger tries to stop them at the end of the track. They store a lot of kinetic energy, that is lost through friction in other Z rolling stock. It's true! Try it for yourself!

            What does this do for running trains? Well I only have 24 of them, but I did run 24 with 1 balkey loco (dirty wheels and fuzz in the trucks) on my modules, and whenever that locotried to stop, the momentum of those BNSF Bethgons slammed that loco back into operation BEFORE all the cars coupler slack was used up! YUP, only 4 or 5 cars worth of coupler slack were enough to push this stalled loco back into operation! And this loco has traction tires, so when it stalled, it was dead weight on the tracks!

            Oh, and did I mention the great clickity clack the beautifully blackened metal wheels make going over rail joints?

            -Robert Ray
          • Robert R Harmen, D.D.S.
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 3, 2009

              > They look and sound [metal wheels] good - couplers are a pain unless you keep them coupled as a group all the time. Try Loren for quantities from 1 on up. Not sure if Anthony is breaking up bundles any more although he did at one time.

              I appreciate the comments. Wish I knew someone else in Z. Being in the back country, lucky to know other modelers in any scale.

              Loren, Anthony ??

              Thanks,

              Robert
            • Gert Velthuizen
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 4, 2009
                Thanks Robert,

                Great for those who model BNSF..

                I only can hope for a rerun of the NS gons so that I ca add them to the cars I already have.

                Keep having fun,

                Gert

                To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 4, 2009
                  Loren: ljsnyder@...
                  Sells primarily Micro Trains and AZL. Located just a couple of miles away from MTL factory in Oregon. Is at MTL nearly daily and knows "everyone" there. Sells throughout the world

                  Anthony: anthony@...
                  Sells almost everything in Z. Try his site zscalemonster.com. Located in Vermont but sells throughout the world.

                  Both rate a 10 and are impeccably reliable & honest.

                  ...don

                  --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Robert R Harmen, D.D.S." <unitcoaltrains@...> wrote:

                  > > They look and sound [metal wheels] good - couplers are a pain unless you keep them coupled as a group all the time. Try Loren for quantities from 1 on up. Not sure if Anthony is breaking up bundles any more although he did at one time.
                  >
                  > I appreciate the comments. Wish I knew someone else in Z. Being in the back country, lucky to know other modelers in any scale.
                  >
                  > Loren, Anthony ??
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  >
                  > Robert

                • Loren
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 4, 2009
                    Robert,
                    We should talk......about a lot of things.........I'm a dental technician
                    and I speak your language, not only in teeth, but also I understand some
                    words in 'trains' :o)

                    >> They look and sound [metal wheels] good - couplers are a pain unless you
                    >> keep them coupled as a group all the time. Try Loren for quantities from
                    >> 1 on up. Not sure if Anthony is breaking up bundles any more although he
                    >> did at one time.
                    >
                    > I appreciate the comments. Wish I knew someone else in Z. Being in the
                    > back country, lucky to know other modelers in any scale.
                    >
                    > Loren, Anthony ??
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    >
                    > Robert

                  • n_2_z_scale
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 5, 2009
                      I have 72 of the BNSF Bethgons. Unfortunately they are all sold out or I would manage to get more. They are as great if not greater than what Robert Ray has claimed them to be. I do know soon I will be able to continue to add to my BNSF Bethgon Fleet!!! :)

                      Loren is your best bet for One'sies/Two'sies!!

                      N-2-Z :)
                    • Gert Velthuizen
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 6, 2009
                        Video please of this great reallife train!!!

                        To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
                        From: sgt_tim1@...
                        Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2009 21:37:41 +0000