RE: [Z_Scale] Too bad this forum don't allow XXXX posts, I struck gold!

  • Elizabeth Hayes
    Message 1 of 34 , Jun 26, 2009
      When I read this "XXXX " heading, my first thought was that this forum was turning risque, and I was all set to get out the camera and tripod and take off all my clothes and pose with my layout and then post some photos...but since I found out that XXXX really stands for the *b*y auction site, my question is... has anyone here bought any of those sets of 50 cars that are listed on *b*y every week for only $9.90? They seem like a quick way to populate roadways on a layout, but are they the correct scale ? Also, the photo looks like there are only three different varieties of cars among the 50 , how many different types of cars do you actually receive ??

      To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
      From: pray59@...
      Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 21:44:51 +0000
      Subject: [Z_Scale] Too bad this forum don't allow XXXX posts, I struck gold!

      Yup!

      Sharing the love on the BAZ_modules list:

      Most of the scale lamp posts available are very oversized, but not these, as my hot little sausages were rolling some in front of my beady boiled eggs this morning!

      The ones I found from China are .032" diameter x 1.25" tall metal tubing with an 0603 white SMT LED wired in, for about 75 cents each!

      I bought a 40 pack for $30 with free shipping, along with some Arabs, to see if they were scale.I was surprised to see that they were really using SMT LED's and that the lamp posts really are usable in Z! They need a resistor though, as they are just the LED's wired up.

      I measured the Arabs at a scale 6'2" tall, but the bottom of the robes show no feet, so you can sand them down to vary the heights easily, and use them for Monks, or sand them down even lower, paint tan or brown, and use for ominous creatures of the dark. " little, brown, and low to the ground " ...remember?

      Anyways, I posted on the BAZ_modules list this morning, where the word XXXX is not the ultimate of taboo, and people are getting them. If we vote with our dollars and euros, I bet the seller might change his whole lighting line from giant grain of watermelon bulbs to SMT LED's, for that scale appearance.

      He also sells 1:200 scale autos with 4, count them, 4 SMT LED's inside for headlight and tail light wired cars. The cars are still usable in Z. Oh, and watch out for the ones that labeled "Light Up" as those have a grain of watermelon lamp inside, not the ones labeled "Headlights" that have SMT LED's.

    • Elizabeth Hayes
      Message 34 of 34 , Jul 16 8:15 PM
        thanks for the info, that's what I thought they would probably be. I have mostly Noch vehicles, which, even though they are sold as Z scale, appear to be smaller than 1:220, so the size difference would be rather obvious.

        To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
        From: elruddick@...
        Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 21:07:25 -0700

        They are actually about 1/200 rather than 1/220 so they are a bit big. The
        style is limited and you get about 4 or 5 colors. The colors and body styles
        appear to be random so you get the "luck of the draw". As the old saying
        goes - you get what you pay for. They are fine for a mass of autos to fill
        up space but if you plan to put them next to craftsman kit buildings and in
        scale cars you will not like the results. Having said that I have 100 and
        have put them on my modules at various shows with no adverse comments from
        the general public but a few raised eyebrows from the rivet counters. To me
        it looks better than bare roads!
        Along the same line, the mass figures are in the same vein but a bit more
        noticeable - especially in the factory pastel colors.
        Bottom line - what do you expect for $0.10 to $0.20 each? LOL!!